Bought my speaker cables today! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bought my speaker cables today!

crash32
05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I ordered my Blue Jean speaker cables today..... I got the 12 gauge cables that were CL-3 rated so it'd be complaint with code to go in the walls.

I got them bare since I had no idea if I needed banana or spade plugs.... I have never bought speakers before so I had no clue! In case it makes any difference the speakers will probably be from B&W, Monitor, or NHT. I was unable to order them from Blue Jean, but I am hoping that a good quality terminal would be something I can pick up at my local audio store without having a pay tons of money!

Which terminal should I get guys?

Jack in Wilmington
05-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I ordered my Blue Jean speaker cables today..... I got the 12 gauge cables that were CL-3 rated so it'd be complaint with code to go in the walls.

I got them bare since I had no idea if I needed banana or spade plugs.... I have never bought speakers before so I had no clue! In case it makes any difference the speakers will probably be from B&W, Monitor, or NHT. I was unable to order them from Blue Jean, but I am hoping that a good quality terminal would be something I can pick up at my local audio store without having a pay tons of money!

I use banana plugs with my Tara Labs speaker wires. Audio Advisor has some nice looking Audioquest bananas on sale now. Four for $20.

blackraven
05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
You could buy the terminals from bluejean, check their web site, they are very reasonable, or you could buy monster terminals or some other brand. Radio shack even sells some good terminals.

Feanor
05-06-2008, 08:34 AM

I like bananas because they are usually the easiest to plug & unplug. However that assumes that you amp and speakers accept banana plugs without additional adaptors.

Nowadays most speakers and amps have so-called "5-way" terminals; with this type of terminal you just insert/pull out the banana plug into the end of the terminal without screwing. (Something sounds unsavory about this description, but it's accurate.)
:20:

There are many moderately priced options, including from Blue Jeans, but I use these Dayton BAGS-G Banana Speaker Plugs (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1260) from Parts Express. They are very effective.