MC addition.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MC addition....

Bernd
05-05-2008, 06:16 AM
...to my ever growing cartridge family.:smile5:
Last year, and just after I had purchased my Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua I read about a superb new cartridge. Too late, money spent and choice made. Anyway, just last week an opportunity presented itself to get one of those at a decent price. A friend of mine from NYC has one and said that it dislodged his Koetsu Onyx at $ 8k (He has deeper pockets than me) and his Transfiguration Orpheus.
Well on Friday the nice Fed-Ex man delivered my new Phase Tech P-1. I installed it and dropped the needle onto Neil Youngs-This Notes For You and picked my jaw up off the floor. Here is a true high end bargain (if you can call $ 1800 a bargain) compared to my other MCs. And it surpassed their performance by some margin. It just plays everything so right. The whole musical spectrum somehow sounds very correct. It's not warm or rose tinted nor cold. Just very very acurate, silent and musical. One of those things that come along once in a while and make you rediscover your whole music collection. This cartridge tells you what is on the record. Everything. I believe my cartridge hunting days are over. Happy boy - you bet.:smile5:

Here is a review excert:
"Phase-Tech's P-1 moving-coil cartridge is a heavyweight in many respects. At 12 grams, it's physically heavy. Its sound is 'heavy' (in the best sense of the word) with weight and authority…when called for. And it's a heavyweight as a competitor. This is one of those rare audio components that could challenge your thinking about the nature of your entire audio system. At its $1800 price, this phono cartridge gets you very, very close to what's on an LP, and much closer than many other cartridges at this price level." – Curtis Leeds, Hi-Fi+, Issue 45

Phase Tech P-1

:9:

E-Stat
05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
...to my ever growing cartridge family.
Nice looking wooden body. Never heard of the company before. Interesting that they also make digital sources along with electronics as well.

Congrats! I was enjoying my VPI flavor of the DV-20XH the other day.

rw

Bernd
05-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Nice looking wooden body. Never heard of the company before. Interesting that they also make digital sources along with electronics as well.

Congrats! I was enjoying my VPI flavor of the DV-20XH the other day.

rw

Thanks. I am a big fan of Dynavector cartridges.:thumbsup: Had them all through my hands and always felt that they really perform well and rarely put a foot wrong. But I always lusted after one of the top Koetsu's and have been looking the last few weeks, hence having the conversation with my pal from NY, who is a cartridge mad vinyl guy. And he was totally blown away by the Phase Tech and is selling his Koetsu Onyx. Maybe too much exposure will bump the price of the P-1 up, maybe not. I believe the P-1 to be rediculously low priced for what it does. The wood is sandalwood and the box it comes in is made of the same wood. Like a piece of jewellery. Not sure if I prefer to run it at 100 or at 50ohm. Time will tell after the run in period.

E-Stat
05-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Had them all through my hands and always felt that they really perform well and rarely put a foot wrong.
After my move a couple of years ago, somehow I ended up bending the cantilever on my low output flavor. When looking to replace, I found that VPI introduced a "Goldilocks" version with output between that of the standard Dyna low and high output models. That seemed to work best with my preamp gain.

But I always lusted after one of the top Koetsu's and have been looking the last few weeks, hence having the conversation with my pal from NY, who is a cartridge mad vinyl guy.
Harry Pearson was always taken with Mr. Sugano's designs. I recall first hearing one in his IRS system back in 1980 on a Goldmund Studio / T3 linear arm. Very nice.

Not sure if I prefer to run it at 100 or at 50ohm. Time will tell after the run in period.
Well changing loads is pretty simple with the Manley. :)

rw

basite
05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Congrats Bernd,

fine looking, and by what you say I think exellent sounding cart!!

congrats! :)

how have you been btw, long time no see :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
05-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Well changing loads is pretty simple with the Manley. :)

rw

Indeed it is. Not very good for the neurotic audiophile.:p

Bernd
05-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Congrats Bernd,

fine looking, and by what you say I think exellent sounding cart!!

congrats! :)

how have you been btw, long time no see :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Thanks Bert,

I am doing good. Just have been very busy and this is my first weekend off in ages. Lots to catch up on.
How is you?

basite
05-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Bert,

I am doing good. Just have been very busy and this is my first weekend off in ages. Lots to catch up on.
How is you?

I'm doing fine, thanks for asking :)

end of the (school) year is nearing, so exams coming up...

I've been to Paris with school last week, exellent schooltrip :thumbsup:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm doing fine, thanks for asking :)

end of the (school) year is nearing, so exams coming up...

I've been to Paris with school last week, exellent schooltrip :thumbsup:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Paris- one of the great Cities in this world. Sounds a good trip.
Good luck with the exams.:thumbsup:

Peace

JohnMichael
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Bernd the Phase Tech sounds awesome by your description. For the quality of sound $1800 is a bargain. Enjoy your time off with the new cart.

Speaking of Paris I have received my passport and next year I will be flying to Manchester to see a friend. After a few days we will be traveling to Paris and then on to Amsterdam. While in England maybe we could meet for a pint.

jrhymeammo
05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Great seeing you around B.

You are truly my inspiration on pursuit of analog Nirvana. I can only image what Phase Tech sounds like. Let us know more after 50 hours or so.

I think it's time I refreshed my cartridge. I can get my Denon retipped for cheap, but maybe it's time I get my feet wet on some DV cartridge.

Keep on Rockin' my man.
JRA

jrhymeammo
05-05-2008, 06:51 PM

You are truly my inspiration on pursuit of analog Nirvana. I can only image what Phase Tech sounds like. Let us know more after 50 hours or so.

I think it's time I refreshed my cartridge. I can get my Denon retipped for cheap, but maybe it's time I get my feet wet on some DV cartridge.

Keep on Rockin' my man.
JRA

P.S. I think it's about time we send another package to you know who.....

Bernd
05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Bernd the Phase Tech sounds awesome by your description. For the quality of sound $1800 is a bargain. Enjoy your time off with the new cart.

Speaking of Paris I have received my passport and next year I will be flying to Manchester to see a friend. After a few days we will be traveling to Paris and then on to Amsterdam. While in England maybe we could meet for a pint.

Absolutely. I am looking forward to it. Just got up after a very late listenig session. My name is B. and I am a music addict.:1:

Bernd
05-06-2008, 01:29 AM

I think you're right.:D

O'Shag
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Great stuff Bernd. If it is better than the Ke Taikora Rua then it must really be excellent. Also the price is not 'never never land' as many high-end cartridges are. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.. Cheers

Bernd
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Great stuff Bernd. If it is better than the Ke Taikora Rua then it must really be excellent. Also the price is not 'never never land' as many high-end cartridges are. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.. Cheers

Thanks. It really is an outstanding cartridge. But with all things audio it has to work in unison with the rest of the system. I found that the Cartridge/arm/TT/phonoamp combination is as important as the Speaker/room interaction. Yes the Te Kaitora Rua is a great (no make that a very great) cartridge as are the top Koetsus, Benz and Transfigurations. I just feel that the extra weight and low compliance of the Phase Tech is a real fine match for my TT set up. The music has gained some more weight compared to the DV. Detail is about the same, but somehow the P-1 gives you more acoustic cues (if that makes sense). You are more aware of the space in between. I really enjoy and place great importance on very well defined imagery. I think the Phase-tech in that respect plays more like a Koetsu, but a Koetsu on speed. The dynamics are the best I have ever heard at home, but not in your face fireworks. It somehow manages to creep up on you and hits you when you least expect it. I think a lot has to do with the Fine line stylus profile. I have always been a fan of that shape. It is a very addictive listening experience. The hours just fly by at the moment.
And man, I am so tired. Very little sleep at present.:p

Peace

bobsticks
05-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Good lord, where to start. Well, first, great review. It sounds like you've got a winner that has tamed both heart and soul without causing the lil' missus to swap residents of bed and kennel. Good stuff. Anything that gets folks closer to their goal is okay in my book...plus it looks cool as all get-out.

Now for the rest:

Paris- one of the great Cities in this world

Yes, except for de Gaulle--what a mess. I always like to pretend I'm Jean-Jacques Rousseau pontificating on pluralism and freedom amidst the heaps of refuse. I heard a rumor that 37% of the world's current cases of Bubonic Plague originate in that aiport.

OTOH,

Oooh, lemme know, I'm in. Starting next year I'll get a week's vacation per quarter and you know I'm crazy enough to fly over here for a beveridge.

You rotten little heavy-handed audio pimp.

Other than those few thoughts I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread except to say it's good to see you back around, B.

Peace

Slippers On
05-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Bernd my friend,

I'm always open to the new.

What you have discovered might be what I am after.

However, please can you tell me which method you use to set up your cartridge?????

For a long time now I have been using the Shure V15vxMR cartridge, having bought a few spares for the future.

I have never gone down the MC direction because I never felt the need to. (always believed that CD was inferior anyway). However, I now recognise that some "Mixer/Masters" have got it right with "Full Band" CDs that they can be quite good competition for LPs.

I have noticed, after having bought a brand new Record Deck, that some of my records can't handle a certain 'peak' of female voice without introducing distortion. I believe this is down to my "set-up" of the cartridge.

Would you like to share how you set-up/position your cartridge?

I believe I, and others, would definately benefit from this.

I have some Mono records if you use that, (name I can't remember), system for calibrating by EAR on top of mathmatics:-)

Thank you for finding and sharing a new audiophile experience.

Slippers Shuffling

Bernd
05-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Bernd my friend,

I'm always open to the new.

What you have discovered might be what I am after.

However, please can you tell me which method you use to set up your cartridge?????

For a long time now I have been using the Shure V15vxMR cartridge, having bought a few spares for the future.

I have never gone down the MC direction because I never felt the need to. (always believed that CD was inferior anyway). However, I now recognise that some "Mixer/Masters" have got it right with "Full Band" CDs that they can be quite good competition for LPs.

I have noticed, after having bought a brand new Record Deck, that some of my records can't handle a certain 'peak' of female voice without introducing distortion. I believe this is down to my "set-up" of the cartridge.

Would you like to share how you set-up/position your cartridge?

I believe I, and others, would definately benefit from this.

I have some Mono records if you use that, (name I can't remember), system for calibrating by EAR on top of mathmatics:-)

Thank you for finding and sharing a new audiophile experience.

Slippers Shuffling

Hi Slips,

Apologies for the delayed response, but work and a genuine lack of time have prevented me responding. I'm just now starting to catch up.
I think what you describe is the sound of your cartridge reaching it's limit especially with your new TT. However good the Shure is (was) it is an old fashioned design like the Denons and those have not really taken advantage of new materials.
As for setting up. I am happy to share what little I know. I use the HiFi News Cartridge Mans (Len Gregory) Test record and protactor. But as I use an SME V it is a real doddle to set a cartridge up. Once everything is calibrated I set the VTF to the top end of the manufacturers recommendations. Maybe 10% less. VTA will be dead level and I will run this for the first 50 Hours. I then redial everything in, again VTF near the top end and the VTA slightly tail down. I found that a little neagative VTA smoothes the top end a little and gives me what I want. Others may find different. Anti Skating I set as little as possible, and adjust by ear only using the test tracks on the test record. And thats it really. It is also of the upmost importance to make sure that the platter is completely level.
How is the new TT? And yes I recommend the Phase Tech P-1 without any reservations.

Peace

:23:

hifitommy
06-29-2008, 09:14 AM
well slippers, yesterday i was happily listening to my atML150 tracing through a ralph towner disc and thought the sound a bit compressed/congealed so i put in my fidelity research fr1mk3 and got the picture clearly.

better individuation of instruments and dynamics of each. better rez in the top too. its probably the best illustration i have ever shown myself in the difference between mm and mc.

its not that the ML150 is bad, just not as good as the FR. i may do some other comparisons in the near or not so near future. its relatively easy with an arm like the mmt with a detachable headshell.

hifitommy
06-29-2008, 09:15 AM
is that who sells this item? i have often wondered.

Bernd
05-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Has it really been over a year since I last posted a little ditty about my Vinyl adventures? Somehow life got in the way and I swear that the days are getting shorter. Where does the time go. Anyway a couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a new addition.

And this is it, and for those who are interested in my findings, here we go with the obligatory first impression thread. I spent the first 5 hours enchanted by the Orpheus. This is the first time that a brand new cartridge has given me goose bumps right from the off. Side one, track one, first note of Christy Moore’s - Welcome to the Cabaret. Wow. Permagrin. It’s also the very first time that I called my wife up to the music room so early to hear it. But before I start gushing too much, here is how it went.
I started the loading at 50 ohm with 60db selected at the phonostage. The settings at the arm were almost identical to the P-1, insofar VTA (very slight tail down) and overhang. The VTF was set to 1.85 gram.
The Phase Tech P-1 displays several traits that the Orpheus brought to the table so to speak, but whereas the P-1 hinted what was in the grooves, the Orpheus fleshed those details out and gave them life. Almost like a groove hoover. The best way I can describe the difference is this. Imagine a warm summer’s day; you go for a stroll mid afternoon, meadows, brook, and birds singing, but dry and dusty. That’s the P-1. Now imagine the same scene after a summer downpour a slight breeze and the sun is re-appearing. That’s the Orpheus. Same scene, but somehow time has slowed down a little and it feels fresher and you notice more of everything.
The P-1 manages to give the illusion of having the musicians in your room playing just for you, whereas the Orpheus big trick is that it takes you to where the musicians are. A very distinctive difference.
I then changed the loading to 25 ohm and the Orpheus lost that magical musical coherence. It laid all the details it retrieves bare, almost de-constructs the song. I can see the detail fan boys will love that. Not dissimilar to what I had experienced with the Dynavector XV-1s. A very fine MC, but didn’t work well in my set up and was not for me.
It’s very tough to put into words how something sounds, but last night there was a real hint of something magical, something I have never felt listening to records. The Orpheus displayed some freedom and musical flow in an unhurried manner that I find very appealing. The one criticism I have of the P-1 is that it can sound a little hurried, whereas the Orpheus feels completely in control and never loses grip, but that becomes only noticeable by comparing the two. The volume also appeared to be louder with the Orpheus, but was not. I guess it’s down to the extra detail and tonal shades I was hearing.
This is only a first impression and I shall revisit this once the Orpheus has 50 hours on the clock. I will reset everything and will listen to the same records again. Anal, I know, but I don’t care.
And yes, big fingers need a big finger lift………….. :biggrin5:
The cartridge has now 30 Hours on the clock and the soundstage is huge. I changed the loading to 200ohm and this setting fits like a glove now.
The Phase Tech is a bargain, no doubt. The Transfiguration Orpheus is expensive, but it gives you that little bit extra. Unfortunately, that comes with a large price tag. I am very fortunate to be able to own such a fine cartridge.

JohnMichael
05-17-2009, 05:43 AM
Bernd first let me say I was glad to read a new post by you. I hope life has been treating you well.

Now to the cartridge, it sounds incredible. In your description what impressed me the most was that the cartridge did not bring the musicians to you but took you to the venue. Sounds like the flow of the music is very natural and seductive. Enjoy and I look forward to more updates.

Bernd
05-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Bernd first let me say I was glad to read a new post by you. I hope life has been treating you well.
Now to the cartridge, it sounds incredible. In your description what impressed me the most was that the cartridge did not bring the musicians to you but took you to the venue. Sounds like the flow of the music is very natural and seductive. Enjoy and I look forward to more updates.

Can't complain JM. No, make that very well thank you. And thanks for the welcome back. I took some time out from cyber space and now, shall ease myself back into the fold. Lots to catch up with I guess.
How is you? I hope life is treating you well too.
And yes the new cartridge is outstanding. Time just flies by. It's very addictive.:16:

jrhymeammo
05-21-2009, 06:18 AM
BERND!!!!
New toy or not, It's always cool seeing you around.
I take things are looking up on the other side of the pond.

I've been thinking about upgrading as well, but will need some guidance from you.
We'll keep in touch.

Hiro

bobsticks
05-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Jaybo!!! PM me, ya bastard...the games afoot, Watson...