The National live: my review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The National live: my review

Swish
05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
So 6 of us headed to the humble venue that is the gymnasium of Messiah College, a Christian school (as the name would imply) just a little southwest of Harrisburg. I still get giddy thinking how lucky we are to have this modest little school bringing in the likes of Wilco, The Decemberists, Bob Dylan, The National, and many others, and the prices are just ridiculous. This show was $15 for outsiders and $5 for students, and it's a Saturday night no less.

I don't have much of a good story to tell here as it was quite uneventful. The show was set to start at 8:00 with the opener Doveman, but at 8:20 still nothing. I was curious because there was only set-up on stage, unlike most shows where the opening band has their equipment place in front of the headliner, so I was curious as to what was happening. Well, we soon found when The National took the stage...BONUS...and we were certainly find with that. No explanation was given, not that we cared.

The first song was Start a War, off their latest cd Boxer, which is no surprise, but they ended up playing very little from that record, favoring the superior Alligator, and we weren't complaining. Matt Berninger commented that he had a pretty bad cold but it didn't seem to bother him as his distinctive, deep baritone voice sounded exactly as you would expect. While most of their songs are fairly low-key, I was surprised at the double guitar attack by brothers Aaron & Bryce Dessner. They don't play much in the way of lead guitar, more a driving, melodic rhythm that reminds me of Will Sergeant and maybe Lloyd Cole and the Commotion at times.

My favorite song of the night may have been the final song before the encore, Mr. November, along with many of the other Alligator tunes; Karen, Lit Up, Daughters of the Soho Riots, All the Wine, Abel, and Baby, We'll Be Fine. The band only played about an hour before heading offstage, then did a two-song encore that included Wasp's Nest and Squalor Victoria (not 100% of that last one, but they did play it at one point). While a show lasting less than 90 minutes seems a bit of a rip, I was fine with it since it was only $15, there was no opener (who cares?) and their leader's illness. He coughed quite a bit between songs, so it was the real deal. I just can't figure out how he sounded so good with a cold.

This was far from the best show I've seen recently (Spoon was way better overall), but it was a lot of fun and won't diminish my appreciation of them. I'm glad I saw them, it was a hassle-free evening with a moderate sized crowd, and I got a nice little concert poster on the way out...for free of course. If you're into stage theatrics and light shows, stay home because they're a 'stand up and play' band that lets the music speak for itself.

Swish

Bernd
05-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Nice write up.:thumbsup: Sounds like a decent night. Another band that has eluded me.

Mr MidFi
05-05-2008, 05:38 AM
$15? And at a modest-sized venue? Jeez...who could say no to that?
Thanks, Swish.

ForeverAutumn
05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks Swish. I'll be seeing them in June, opening for REM. Maybe I'll try to pick up Alligator before then.

Finch Platte
05-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Cool writeup, thanks for taking the time.

So, what happened to Doveman?

fp

Swish
05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks Swish. I'll be seeing them in June, opening for REM. Maybe I'll try to pick up Alligator before then.

..critically acclaimed. Shoot for the 'special edition' cd with bonus tracks that are basically alternative versions of some of the songs. I really like the earlier release Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers just as much, and possibly more.

Enjoy,
Swish

Swish
05-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Cool writeup, thanks for taking the time.

So, what happened to Doveman?

fp

Who the heck knows, but we were all making jokes about it, pointing up in the air and proclaiming 'there goes Doveman'. How juvenile.

Swish