Still a Rega? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Still a Rega?

JohnMichael
05-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Yes it is tweak time again. I have decided to go acrylic. I will be repalcing the glass platter and mat with an acrylic platter that does not require a mat. I will be interested to find what sonic improvements I will hear.

http://www.groovetracer.com/acrylic%20_platter_groovetracer.htm

Of course will it still be a Rega? New feet, subplatter with ruby bearing, counterweight, wiring harness and now platter will be added. I have kept the old parts if I ever want to remind myself what a Rega sounds like. The sound keeps improving and I hope this latest tweak takes it up one more notch. I have not replaced the motor with the new Rega motor and I may yet do that but I would have to solder and I think the metal subplatter smooths the variations caused by the soft mounted motor currently in the turntable.

I must say the Rega Planar 2 has been almost as fun to tweak as it is to play records. Soon if I want to tweak I may need an LP12.

emaidel
05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
So, you've decided to wipe the dust of your turntable after listening to your Marantz SA-8001, eh? I actually played a record myself the other day, but still prefer the sound from the Marantz unit. I played a record of Eric Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff," and then a track from a Clapton "Greatest Hits" CD of the same thing. The difference was absolutely amazing, but, frankly, the record sounded pretty lousy in the first place, so anything that made it sound better was helpful.

I'll be interested to hear whatever improvements you get with your new acrylic platter. It's not that much more expensive than an Acrohomat turntable mat which I bought and found made enormous differences.

Have fun playing around!

jrhymeammo
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
So, you've decided to wipe the dust of your turntable after listening to your Marantz SA-8001, eh? I actually played a record myself the other day, but still prefer the sound from the Marantz unit. I played a record of Eric Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff," and then a track from a Clapton "Greatest Hits" CD of the same thing. The difference was absolutely amazing, but, frankly, the record sounded pretty lousy in the first place, so anything that made it sound better was helpful.

I'll be interested to hear whatever improvements you get with your new acrylic platter. It's not that much more expensive than an Acrohomat turntable mat which I bought and found made enormous differences.

Have fun playing around!

Remeber when you thought you would never have to upgrade your digital source? Perhaps it's time you updated your analog gears.

JM, I'm really jealous of your REGA. I wish I could tweak out my PJ deck like your REGA.

Have fun and be sure to let us know of your findings.

JRA

Bernd
05-05-2008, 04:47 AM
....in short and IMHO-No.
I used to have the P3 and changed the platter to an acrylic one. The sound wasn't for me. It somehow sounded that the P3 tried to be two things at once. I prefered the stock glass plater with the Ringmat. I then had the P25 and I rewired the RB 600 with the Cardas kit and that worked fantastic, but it wasn't a Rega anymore. With the rewire came more insight and more definition, which are not a Regas forte. Thats all I ever did to the Regas. Before that, and during my second stint into hifi I had an LP12 at the time Linn introduced the Lingo Power supply for £ 400. A lot of money I thought for a basic power supply, but man did that made a difference and it somehow managed to retain the LP12s strengths. Which made me a great believer in the importance of the Motor and associated Power supply. The right speed and the right consistent torque at all times is one of the most important aspects in Vinyl palyback. All of a sudden notes did not melt into each other, but were well defined.
John, if it were me I would try the new Motor. As for the platter you might like the acrylic one. I think it will rob the Rega of some of it's bounce and freshness.
I must say that following your progress with the Rega has been very interesting and you should be congratulated for taking this TT to new heights. It shows your understanding and passion for the subject of Vinyl replay. Good on you.:thumbsup: I will await your next step with interest.

:9:

JohnMichael
05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
....in short and IMHO-No.
I used to have the P3 and changed the platter to an acrylic one. The sound wasn't for me. It somehow sounded that the P3 tried to be two things at once. I prefered the stock glass plater with the Ringmat. I then had the P25 and I rewired the RB 600 with the Cardas kit and that worked fantastic, but it wasn't a Rega anymore. With the rewire came more insight and more definition, which are not a Regas forte. Thats all I ever did to the Regas. Before that, and during my second stint into hifi I had an LP12 at the time Linn introduced the Lingo Power supply for £ 400. A lot of money I thought for a basic power supply, but man did that made a difference and it somehow managed to retain the LP12s strengths. Which made me a great believer in the importance of the Motor and associated Power supply. The right speed and the right consistent torque at all times is one of the most important aspects in Vinyl palyback. All of a sudden notes did not melt into each other, but were well defined.
John, if it were me I would try the new Motor. As for the platter you might like the acrylic one. I think it will rob the Rega of some of it's bounce and freshness.
I must say that following your progress with the Rega has been very interesting and you should be congratulated for taking this TT to new heights. It shows your understanding and passion for the subject of Vinyl replay. Good on you.:thumbsup: I will await your next step with interest.

:9:

Bernd if you say no acrylic that is good enough for me. I called the gentleman who makes the platters and he was concerned that it might not fit the subplatter I have installed. The added precision of the subplatter and it's greater mass has helped improve the pace and timing. He felt it would fit his subplatter without any problem but it might be too tight on mine.

I am going to check into the achroplat from Funk Firm out of curiosity. I do agree that the motor would be important but I do not know if I want the improved Rega Motor or check Origin Live for a dc motor. One of these days I will run out of improvements.

JohnMichael
05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I ordered the Achroplat 12mm replacement platter for my Rega. I will have 30 days to try it out. As Bernd said the glass and Ringmat combination is very nice but the tweaker in me had to try something new.

elapsed
07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
I've been contemplating some substancial upgrades for my TT......

Current system: Rega Planar 3 w/ motor upgrade, Dynavector 10x5 cart, Eichmann Bullet plugs, Naim Stageline N phono stage powered by my Naim 122x pre-amp

Ideally I'd love to build up to a Fully Naim'ed LP12, with a Naim Armadeddon power supply, Naim Aro or Ekos SE tonearm, Naim Superline phono stage, Dynavector 20XL cart.. but this is waaay out of my pricerange

My thoughts right now are to take baby steps, maybe purchase a s/h LP12, fit the RB300 from my current turntable, then I wouldn't need to trade the Stageline for a new phono stage. The only major purchase then would be an Armadeddon power supply.

Would the RB300 be a good match to the LP12 until I could pull some funds together for a tonearm upgrade? Or would I be better off to hold onto my Rega Planar 3, and make some small upgrades for the time being (the Vinyl Anachronist recommended the Groove Tracer subplatter to me, which is how I came across this thread)

Cheers,
elapsed

Nebhrid
01-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Too bad this thread stopped at this point

I have a P25 too and have long time considered to build up a Lenco.
Look here why: http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Lenco.html.

But due to limiting financials reasons i am not able to exhaust this way.
Currently i think to rely on the P25, because I like the look and the performance.

I have the Heed Orbit, and will first buy the Mitchel Counterweight,
Then go to the Groovetracer Sub, maybe the Acrylic Platter,which i am still not convinced.
Next step will be the big origin live motor upgrade, and sometimes an Origin Tonearm.
Probably the Zephyr with some improvements.

Maybe it seems to be silly, but it could be the cheapest way to achieve the sound i like and can afford.

Nebhrid

Sorry y for digging this thread.

JohnMichael
01-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Too bad this thread stopped at this point

I have a P25 too and have long time considered to build up a Lenco.
Look here why: http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Lenco.html.

But due to limiting financials reasons i am not able to exhaust this way.
Currently i think to rely on the P25, because I like the look and the performance.

I have the Heed Orbit, and will first buy the Mitchel Counterweight,
Then go to the Groovetracer Sub, maybe the Acrylic Platter,which i am still not convinced.
Next step will be the big origin live motor upgrade, and sometimes an Origin Tonearm.
Probably the Zephyr with some improvements.

Maybe it seems to be silly, but it could be the cheapest way to achieve the sound i like and can afford.

Nebhrid

Sorry y for digging this thread.

Welcome and I am glad you dug up this thread. I never tried the acrylic platters since I replaced the Rega subplatter with a machined subplatter. I used the Funk Firm Achroplat platter but since it was much lighter than the Rega glass platter I was concerned it was spinning slightly fast. My tonearm has the Incognito rewire and the Michell counterweight which is excellent at reducing surface noise and improving tracking. I have thought about the Origin Live motor upgrade or even the Rega update for my 10+ Planar 2.

I have certainly enjoyed upgrading the table to perform better than the original. A little cash at a time to reach the next level is an easy step. Good luck with your next choice.

RGA
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Here is some great advice I got from a very knowledgeable turntable guru who sold and may still sell Rega. He has lots of tweaks and mods and some of the other ones he mentioned might be worth your while.

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=vinyl&n=741264&highlight=Thorens+DRCope&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3Dpeac htree%26b%3DAND%26topic%3D%26topics_only%3DN%26aut hor%3D%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26so rt%3Dscore%26sortOrder%3DDESC%26forum%3Dhirez

Hairsonfire
01-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Yes it is tweak time again. I have decided to go acrylic. I will be repalcing the glass platter and mat with an acrylic platter that does not require a mat. I will be interested to find what sonic improvements I will hear.

http://www.groovetracer.com/acrylic%20_platter_groovetracer.htm

Of course will it still be a Rega? New feet, subplatter with ruby bearing, counterweight, wiring harness and now platter will be added. I have kept the old parts if I ever want to remind myself what a Rega sounds like. The sound keeps improving and I hope this latest tweak takes it up one more notch. I have not replaced the motor with the new Rega motor and I may yet do that but I would have to solder and I think the metal subplatter smooths the variations caused by the soft mounted motor currently in the turntable.

I must say the Rega Planar 2 has been almost as fun to tweak as it is to play records. Soon if I want to tweak I may need an LP12.

I have the Music Hall MMF 9.1 which has an acrylic platter AND a mat. Is it adviseable to place vinyl directly on to the acrylic surface without a mat? Seems to me you would risk damaging the delicate surface of the record.

02audionoob
01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
The record's surface isn't so delicate that it can't be placed directly on the platter without damage. In fact, to many people's thinking, a mat on an acrylic platter would defeat its purpose.

Hairsonfire
01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
The record's surface isn't so delicate that it can't be placed directly on the platter without damage. In fact, to many people's thinking, a mat on an acrylic platter would defeat its purpose.
I would actually prefer to not use a mat but since this is my very first TT and it came with a mat I naturally assumed that you were supposed to use it. I will give it a try. Thanks Mr. Noob.