Seeing The National tonight to no hockey. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seeing The National tonight to no hockey.

Swish
05-03-2008, 01:21 PM
It will kill me not to know the score until the show is over, but with a 3-1 lead, I guess it's not too terrible.

Swish

kexodusc
05-03-2008, 01:26 PM
It will kill me not to know the score until the show is over, but with a 3-1 lead, I guess it's not too terrible.

Swish
PVR it!

I watch a lot of sports this way now - someone should win a nobel prize for these things!

Swish
05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
So R.J. Umberger gets two more goals tonight and may displace Briere as Public Enemy #1 in Montreal. No matter, they're going to the conference finals and have upset the #1 seed. Going from worst in the league to winning the first and second rounds of the playoffs is absurd, and they could go even further.

In the meantime, there's a certain RR member who lost a bet on this series, and I'll be watching my mail for the 'payment'.

GO FLYERS!

Swish

P.S. The National show was excellent. Review tomorrow.

ForeverAutumn
05-03-2008, 08:37 PM
PVR it!

I watch a lot of sports this way now - someone should win a nobel prize for these things!

Hehehe. I used to make fun of a friend of mine who would tape (in the olden days, before PVRs) hockey games if he couldn't be home to watch. But earlier this year, I found myself PVRing a Lacrosse game. I guess I can't make fun of him anymore.

Congrats on Philly's win Swish....not that you actually had anything to do with it.

Ex Lion Tamer
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Ewww, the foul stench of losing - well they found a different way to lose this one, blowing a 2-goal second period lead.

Checks in the mail gramps.

kexodusc
05-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Umberger is this year's John Druce. Every year there's one guy in the playoff who plays the best he'll ever play in his career. Wow, what a series for him.

I'm guessing they'll trade him on draft day to maximize his value while he looks like a top line player. That's what I'd do.

In the meantime, the Flyers have balanced scoring and good goaltending. If they play dirty and mean and rough and dirty, they should be able to frustrate and limit the Penguins chances.

If there is a god, the Penguins won't win the Cup.

Now...when does the inquiry into the blown call on Morrow's non-goal in SJ start?

Swish
05-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Ewww, the foul stench of losing - well they found a different way to lose this one, blowing a 2-goal second period lead.

Checks in the mail gramps.

They go dead last in the prior season, although they showed promise in the second half of that season, to first place, but only briefly, before falling down so far that they barely made the playoffs. I felt confident they would beat the Capitals, but didn't allow myself to get all cocky against the #1 seed. We're talking about a Philly sports team, so why would I get myself all jacked up for what is usually a big let-down?

Yes, Canada is shut out of the finals for another year, and it should be an all-Pennsylvania Eastern Conference finals if those stinkin' Penguins can finish off the Rangers. I just hope NY can win another game or two so the Flyers get some much needed rest before the next round.

Swish - the happy geezer grandpa

Swish
05-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Umberger is this year's John Druce. Every year there's one guy in the playoff who plays the best he'll ever play in his career. Wow, what a series for him.

I'm guessing they'll trade him on draft day to maximize his value while he looks like a top line player. That's what I'd do.

In the meantime, the Flyers have balanced scoring and good goaltending. If they play dirty and mean and rough and dirty, they should be able to frustrate and limit the Penguins chances.

If there is a god, the Penguins won't win the Cup.

Now...when does the inquiry into the blown call on Morrow's non-goal in SJ start?

And I don't think any team will be fooled by his fat stats in the playoffs. I mean, come on, the guy had all of 13 goals in the regular season (along with 37 assists). 50 points is pretty good, but he already has 9 goals in the playoffs, including 8 in just 5 games against Montreal. Anybody can get hot in the playoffs, and I guess he's on a hot streak.

Swish

kexodusc
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
They go dead last in the prior season, although they showed promise in the second half of that season, to first place, but only briefly, before falling down so far that they barely made the playoffs. I felt confident they would beat the Capitals, but didn't allow myself to get all cocky against the #1 seed. We're talking about a Philly sports team, so why would I get myself all jacked up for what is usually a big let-down?

Yes, Canada is shut out of the finals for another year, and it should be an all-Pennsylvania Eastern Conference finals if those stinkin' Penguins can finish off the Rangers. I just hope NY can win another game or two so the Flyers get some much needed rest before the next round.

Swish - the happy geezer grandpa
The great thing about artificially low expectations is the elation that comes with exceeding them.
The series win shouldn't be a total surprise (though I can appreciate how sports writers and long-suffering fans will put the drama spin on it). As bad as Philly was last year, the whole league knew injuries to the big names was the biggest reason for it. Nobody dreamed that they wouldn't be the most improved team this year after last summer. When you spend Hart Trophy money on a guy like Briere, get a real goalie, buy a #1 d-man (Timonen) and round the team off with additions like Hartnell, Prospal, and Upshall, I don't think anyone had any delusions the Flyers wouldn't be as good a pick to finish anywhere from #4-10 in the East as any other team. They were 5 wins away from being the #1 seed this year, and that's a real testament to the hairline fracture that is the difference between teams these days. I don't think we'll see the days when 20 - 25 pts could separate a #1 from a #8 again.

Not many are considering this to be much of an "upset" considering Montreal missed the playoffs last year and had a pretty big turnaround as well (though not as disappointing last year largely because they were healthier and a bit better than the Flyers).

For Montreal - the questions will linger over the decision to go with Price and whether he can fix the massive flaw in his game that is the weak glove hand. The scouting report is out on him now that teams have seen him,and he'll have to make adjustments for next year. I think he's going to be a good goalie for a long time.

I see the Flyers/Pens series going either way - I can't believe Fleury's been steady this long, but he's still the weak link. If the Flyers can intimidate the Penguins forwads, they've got a better-than-good shot at winning the next round. When you're this close to the Cup, there's no such thing as a moral victory anymore. Opportunities are rare and you have to make the most of it.

Heywood Djahblomie
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I would not get too attached to seeing yer girly Flyers in the playoffs
wait until they have to play a real team

I hope you didn't get too drunk at yer concert, beccause those Philly dudes ain't picky, just so long as you got a pulse---my advice, better practice passing out on yer back for future public appearences in the city of brotherly humping

bwaaahahahaha

Go Wings!!!!!

Swish
05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I would not get too attached to seeing yer girly Flyers in the playoffs
wait until they have to play a real team

I hope you didn't get too drunk at yer concert, beccause those Philly dudes ain't picky, just so long as you got a pulse---my advice, better practice passing out on yer back for future public appearences in the city of brotherly humping

bwaaahahahaha

Go Wings!!!!!

The writing style and bwaaaahahahaha, along with the fact that he's a Wings fan would tell me that it is, but he was banned. Hmmmm. I know this Heywood person has shown up before, like a hit-and-run poster, but I can't figure out who this could be.

Swish - not a private eye

kexodusc
06-21-2008, 02:33 AM

And I don't think any team will be fooled by his fat stats in the playoffs. I mean, come on, the guy had all of 13 goals in the regular season (along with 37 assists). 50 points is pretty good, but he already has 9 goals in the playoffs, including 8 in just 5 games against Montreal. Anybody can get hot in the playoffs, and I guess he's on a hot streak.

Swish
Guys, I hate to quote myself, but dammit, I didn't just make the call, I told you the day it would happen. Philly gets #19 overall pick and Columbus gets fooled by the one-hit wonder RJ Umberger.

Smart move by the Flyers, they jump up 10 spots and grab one of the really good D-man prospects available in Luca Sbisa - he's another Brian Campbell/Mark Streit type player - what they thought they'd get in Joni Pitkanen.
Then they grabbed Steve Eminger for a bag of pucks - solid blueline help for next year, this guy's got upside and never played a full year on a good team. He could be a top 4 defenceman in Philly. Not a bad night for the Flyers.

Swish
06-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Guys, I hate to quote myself, but dammit, I didn't just make the call, I told you the day it would happen. Philly gets #19 overall pick and Columbus gets fooled by the one-hit wonder RJ Umberger.

Smart move by the Flyers, they jump up 10 spots and grab one of the really good D-man prospects available in Luca Sbisa - he's another Brian Campbell/Mark Streit type player - what they thought they'd get in Joni Pitkanen.
Then they grabbed Steve Eminger for a bag of pucks - solid blueline help for next year, this guy's got upside and never played a full year on a good team. He could be a top 4 defenceman in Philly. Not a bad night for the Flyers.

...need some solid players on defense (doesn't every team?) and agreed on RJ. With Gagne back next season, they'll have plenty of offense so this was the best they could have hoped for with little room under the salary cap. RJ would have been a restricted free agent too, so this really saves some money too.

Swish