Is satellite radio worth it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is satellite radio worth it?

ForeverAutumn
05-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Specifically, Sirius. There are some pretty cool sounding stations, but will they end up being just as boring and repetitive as free radio (minus the annoying DJs and commercials)?

I don't expect that I will ever listen to sports or talk radio. I would listen mainly to the music stations.

I'm picking up a new car tonight which is equipped with a Sirius compatible radio. I have to decide whether I want to have it activated.

JSE
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Specifically, Sirius. There are some pretty cool sounding stations, but will they end up being just as boring and repetitive as free radio (minus the annoying DJs and commercials)?

I don't expect that I will ever listen to sports or talk radio. I would listen mainly to the music stations.

I'm picking up a new car tonight which is equipped with a Sirius compatible radio. I have to decide whether I want to have it activated.

Depends on how much driving you do. If your in you car alot, I would say it is worth it. You can find a lot of cool music that standard radio would never dream of playing. Even though it's in your new car already, you might think about a portable player where you can take in into work or home.

nobody
05-01-2008, 11:07 AM
My wife has it. I like it because I like Howard Stern. But, for me, I usually wanna listen to what I wanna listen to, even if the stations do play good stuff. And, there are some good stations that aren't too repetitive. Wife loves it, although as the newness has worn off she plays it less than at first. Sound quality is kinda poor.

Swish
05-01-2008, 02:06 PM

..and I'm referring to the fact that, once you subscribe, you can also listen to them on the web anywhere you happen to be, so you can get them at work, at home, on your laptop when you're out of town. It's not just for your car!

Also, you do know they're buying XM, right? Well, some final approvals have to be made, but it appears to be a done deal, so you'll have even more choices. You say you won't listen to talk radio, but I would be willing to bet that you will. There are times when I don't want to hear music and will flip on some talk, usually Howard Stern unless the topic ventures to politics, at which point I move on to something else. The comedy channels can be fun too. The music stations are programmed for the most part, so they do get somewhat repetitive, but Left of Center has some great moments and will mix in great 'old' stuff, meaning old Alternative like Echo and the Bunnymen, Love, you name it.

I got Sirius when I bought my new car back in '06 and was doing a lot of driving. Not so these days with my new job (I work from home and rarely have to travel) but I have it on in my office most days, so I don't feel like I'm wasting my $ on it.

Go for it!

Swishdaddy

Swish
05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Depends on how much driving you do. If your in you car alot, I would say it is worth it. You can find a lot of cool music that standard radio would never dream of playing. Even though it's in your new car already, you might think about a portable player where you can take in into work or home.

...or buy a 'portable' player. You can get them on your PC or Mac since they have a website, and there's no extra cost if you're a subscriber. So even if you only drive a little, you can listen to it anywhere you have a PC or laptop.

Swish

O'Shag
05-02-2008, 12:51 AM
I have Sirius Radio with my Dish Network subscription. Sound Quality, is somewhat dependent on the station. If a recording of a live session is played its definitely good enough the put you there if your system is sufficiently resolving. In other words, at best, the quality is surprisingly good. Not quite as good as CD, but very enjoyable all the same. I listen to 72 Classic Jazz, 74 Classic Blues, 70 Disorder (Eclectic music from around the world) 22 First Wave (80's music), 51 (R&B Heart & Soul), Area 33 (Rave), 75 Siriusly Sinatra, and several others including some classical stations.

Highly recommended.

Duds
05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I just bought a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited in February, I get 1 free year of Sirius with it. I have used it online before I got my Jeep though using a friends subscription, mainly to listen to Stern. the music channels are good, they play songs other than the ones you hear on regular radio, but I do find myself changing the Sirius stations quite a bit too.

lomarica
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I love it I get my sirius thru DISH I have it hooked up to my computer and make mp3's so I can listen at work and in the car. I hate to say it but I haven't bought a cd in years as sirius has taken me to all my new music.

3-LockBox
05-03-2008, 12:12 AM

I'll bet your a closet Howard Stern fan...admit it.

I've heard a few of these things in cars and offices. There are times when I feel the sound quality is lacking. Might just be me, but I would like to know what the bit rates are.

ForeverAutumn
05-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I'll bet your a closet Howard Stern fan...admit it.

You know, I used to listen to Howard Stern but after a while I found him boring. His show was broadcast in Toronto and Montreal for a while. It was really popular at first, but once the novelty wore off ratings took a big nose dive and both cities eventually cancelled him.

I'd rather listen to tunes. :2:

nightflier
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM

To me the real question is how the merger will affect programming. That said, there's no reason to not start listening now.

lomarica, what is the sound quality of those MP3s that you are recording from the broadcasts? Is that even worth the trouble?

DarrenH
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Not to me. I have plenty of music at home and I don't spend enough time behind the wheel to warrant it. If it's free, fine, but I wouldn't want the payment.

Cheers

Edit: Even on high speed cable this site still crawls. I see nothing has changed.

ForeverAutumn
07-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Not to me. I have plenty of music at home and I don't spend enough time behind the wheel to warrant it. If it's free, fine, but I wouldn't want the payment.

Cheers

Edit: Even on high speed cable this site still crawls. I see nothing has changed.

I decided not to go with Satellite for the very reasons that you just stated.

I switched from IE to Firefox and that helped the speed a lot!