Uncompressed, nothing short of amazing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uncompressed, nothing short of amazing

Mr Peabody
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I finally got off my duff and figured out how my processor was set up for MC analog input and connected my BR player. Let me say I had no idea that DVD sound was so compressed. You think it sounds good because you just don't know any better. I first set my BR speaker config to center and rears small. They can take it, it just sometimes sounds better with the extreme lows going to sub. My first impression was, wow, the room is suddenly enveloped with sound but something was missing, lows. My processors bass management sucks so I didn't want to mess with the volume control actually on the sub and I couldn't get a separate speaker set up to take in my processor. I then went back into the Samsung and set all speakers to large. This some how had a vast improvement. I wouldn't think the center and rears doing full range would make that much difference, but maybe so. I suspect it had more to do with how the Samsung outputs the MC analog. I could not for the life of me find any place to adjust the speaker levels in the BD-P1200. I need to check my manual but I tried every button on the remote I thought might do something. This don't make sense but I won't go off on a rant until first referring back to the manual.

The uncompressed PCM is surround sound taken to the next level. I could not believe what an amazing improvement. The sound puts you more into the midst of everything, the front and back mesh better, effects are larger and much more pronounced because it's not going from speaker to speaker, it's more like going through your room. I can go on and on but I don't think anything I say will quite make you understand until you experience it for yourself. The overall HT experience with the uncompressed and HD picture together is so much better I may have to eat some crow and replace a couple DVD's with BR. Just maybe a few of the more action based.

pixelthis
04-30-2008, 10:59 PM
This is what I was talking about in my considerations of DVD thread.
I know the perfectionists types on this board.
So tell me mr P, how are we gonna keep you watching (and lsitening) to DVD now that you've seen blu?
When people started watching DVD they ditched VCRS pretty fast, bet this will happen with Blu, and those who are buying an "interem" DVD until they get a blu will find it gathering dust, eventually.
Anyway congrats on a great experience, the human brain has a great capacity for making up for deficient systems and programs, its always amazing to see (and hear) what you've been missing :1:

kexodusc
05-01-2008, 04:01 AM
I finally got off my duff and figured out how my processor was set up for MC analog input and connected my BR player. Let me say I had no idea that DVD sound was so compressed. You think it sounds good because you just don't know any better. I first set my BR speaker config to center and rears small. They can take it, it just sometimes sounds better with the extreme lows going to sub. My first impression was, wow, the room is suddenly enveloped with sound but something was missing, lows. My processors bass management sucks so I didn't want to mess with the volume control actually on the sub and I couldn't get a separate speaker set up to take in my processor. I then went back into the Samsung and set all speakers to large. This some how had a vast improvement. I wouldn't think the center and rears doing full range would make that much difference, but maybe so. I suspect it had more to do with how the Samsung outputs the MC analog. I could not for the life of me find any place to adjust the speaker levels in the BD-P1200. I need to check my manual but I tried every button on the remote I thought might do something. This don't make sense but I won't go off on a rant until first referring back to the manual.

Hmm, a few of the earlier processing chips shared by many receivers/processors have an issue with the LFE info not being boosted by 10 dB as it should be from BR sources. It manifests differently depending on if HDMI or MC Audio is used and what the source is. Could be the same problem in your BR player or processor. Maybe a firmware update will address this later on.

The uncompressed PCM is surround sound taken to the next level. I could not believe what an amazing improvement. The sound puts you more into the midst of everything, the front and back mesh better, effects are larger and much more pronounced because it's not going from speaker to speaker, it's more like going through your room. I can go on and on but I don't think anything I say will quite make you understand until you experience it for yourself. The overall HT experience with the uncompressed and HD picture together is so much better I may have to eat some crow and replace a couple DVD's with BR. Just maybe a few of the more action based.
The first time I heard it I thought back to the first Dolby Digital and DTS DVD's I heard in the pro-logic era...that big of a jump again!

f0rge
05-01-2008, 04:48 AM
my full metal jacket BR has uncompressed PCM, and you're right, it's amazing.

L.J.
05-01-2008, 06:58 AM

Welcome to the club brotha :thumbsup:

L.J.
05-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Hmm, a few of the earlier processing chips shared by many receivers/processors have an issue with the LFE info not being boosted by 10 dB as it should be from BR sources. It manifests differently depending on if HDMI or MC Audio is used and what the source is. Could be the same problem in your BR player or processor. Maybe a firmware update will address this later on.

Kex you may have nailed that one. I had that same issue with my first 2 805's. LFE just didn't sound right. Onkyo has LFE settings which allows you to boost the signal. Funny thing is, my 3rd one was just fine...didn't have to touch the settings. Weird.

If anyone is interested in more info
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=8855640&postcount=1

kexodusc
05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Kex you may have nailed that one. I had that same issue with my first 2 805's. LFE just didn't sound right. Onkyo has LFE settings which allows you to boost the signal. Funny thing is, my 3rd one was just fine...didn't have to touch the settings. Weird.

If anyone is interested in more info
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=8855640&postcount=1
Maybe the 805 issue was resolved with a firmware update.
I know the H/K's and some brands like Lexicon had this problem. Those chips are the same in $3000 pre/pros as they are in $300 receivers. It's been a problem for a few people I know.

Mr Peabody
05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I just finished watching The Assasination of Jessie James on Blu-ray and if you've ever seen it you know the movie has sort of a haunting musical soundtrack which features violin. Again I was taken back by the amazing sound quality. BR may really have potential as an audio format. The thought scares me some as I've kept my audio and video systems separate and I wonder how I'd approach the addition. I also have not given my Linn amp enough credit in the past, the speed and reality of some sound effects have been incredible and the way it floated the violin with such realism, it was like some one was in the background actually playing it. I'm thinking if this can be done with a Samsung source what could be done by higher end companies with an emphasis on higher quality sound. I know it seems I'm running on and I guess I am but the sound effects were in my room and not localized to any speaker. They will really catch you off guard too, I looked over my shoulder at one point because I heard some one behind me but it was background voices to the scene, since it wasn't identified visually on screen it just caught me.

When I think about it, this is a whole new presentation, first the uncompressed audio, then the analog circuits of my processor which I have never bypassed the decoder before now, needless to say I'm impressed. I've cooled my jets on buying a new processor. Part of me really wants to modernize but a bigger part has me wondering if what I can afford would compare to my Primare.

f0rge
05-12-2008, 06:25 AM
I just finished watching The Assasination of Jessie James on Blu-ray

i have this movie, i thought it was only in dolby digital...

i'll have to look again, or maybe there was a re-release.

i haven't actually watched it yet.

Mr Peabody
05-12-2008, 05:29 PM
i have this movie, i thought it was only in dolby digital...

i'll have to look again, or maybe there was a re-release.

i haven't actually watched it yet.

Do you have it on Blu-ray? I could be wrong, now that I think of it the movie just started on it's own. I'm using analog out and just assumed it accessed the uncompressed because of the sound. Even the DD on BR though is a much better and less compressed soundtrack than would be on standard DVD. Let me know what's on your box. Mine I rented from Blockbuster. The movie wasn't what I expected but I still liked it. The acting was good.