Iron Man vs Speed Racer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man vs Speed Racer

Rich-n-Texas
04-30-2008, 05:41 AM
I wonder which one will win the *overdone special effects* award. I've only seen previews on TV but it looks like both are packed with CGI.

Another thing... I don't know if I would've chosen Robert Downey Jr. for the role as Iron Man. He doesn't look at all like Ozzy. :idea:

markw
04-30-2008, 06:37 AM
From the previews, Speed Racer doesn't interest me at all. I may be the only one in the world who wasn't impressed by The Matrix franchise because it was a CGI driven exercise in techno/psychohooey and intentionally threw out any ties to reality in order to justify it's excess. This looks to be more of the same.

As for Iron Man, it seems to be more of a character driven movie where humnan interaction is the driving force and CGI exists to support that, as opposed to replace it.

It's that human stuff that makes or breaks a movie. Look at the first two Spiderman movies vs Transformers. Which would say was better?

And I'll give Robert Downey a shot at the title. Who ever thought Michael Keaton would have made a decent Batman?

musicman1999
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree with Mark, i have zero interest in Speed Racer, but Iron Man looks good.

bill

Worf101
05-02-2008, 04:16 AM
about $3.50 or whatever it'll cost to rent the movie when it's out on DVD. The only hting stupider than a live action "Speed Racer" movie would be a live action "Thunderbirds" movie and who would be dumb enough to waste..... oh nevermind.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
05-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Wow! Look at that! Three responses!

I think Iron Man opens today. I may go see it this weekend. I agree with you Mark. Maybe I'm wrong about Robert Downey in the lead role, but yeah, in comparison to Transformers, which I didn't really like THAT much anyway, I think focus on the human element will be what carries this flick. IIRC, someone said this is a classic *man struggling with his inner-demons* story.

GMichael
05-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Iron Man. At least it's not a remake.
(that I know of)

markw
05-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Iron Man. At least it's not a remake.
(that I know of)Didja ever see "Steel" with Shaq? Supposed to be from one of the Superman franchises from the middle 90's after he was killed and before he came back from the dead. I guess they wanted to show that Shaq could act. Oh well, ya can't win 'em all...

Troy
05-04-2008, 06:51 PM
The universally good reviews of Ironman are not misleading. It was very entertaining. I'm a fan of Downey. He's doing good things right now- he was the best thing in Zodiac. He carried Ironman with the right amount of inner conflict and bravado. I enjoyed Paltrow too. I thought the whole sexy bookworm thing worked perfectly. They worked well together. The movie looked great. The whole development of the suit angle was perfectly balanced with solid slapstick gags and sci fi hardware. Excellent art direction, production design and sense of style overall.

My one real gripe is the dialog, which was flat as hell. It sounded like it was written by a 12 year old for his little brother to understand. Adults don't talk like that. And sorry, but I think "Well, it's supposed to be a comic book" is a cheap and feeble excuse for simply not having a very strong script.

Speed Racer sure looks like it will be shiiiiny. Curious to see what the press is on it. I loooved Speed Racer as an 9 year old when it was first run here on the West coast. Thing is, I'm not 9 anymore.

The first matrix movie is a classic, and very heavy existentially. (The other 2 were crap tho) Can they bring that same angst to Speed Racer? Nothing would make me happier than to SR get the same great press Ironman is getting. I'd go see it if it did.

3-LockBox
05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Iron Man was one of my favorite comics, along with the Avengers and the Fantastic Four. I dabbled in others but those three were repeat buys on a monthly basis.

I couldn't stand Speed Racer as a kid and can't stand most any form of anime'. (I still call Japanese Anime' "cartoons"...because they're a cartoon). This is another case of over-romanticizing a marginal show and trying to sell it as a movie (like Dukes Of Hazard, I-Spy, Mod Squad). Those TV shows sucked, and surprise surprise, so did the movies. Speed Racer might make for a better video game franchise, but I won't see it in theaters.

I have seen Iron Man, and its a good movie. It doesn't have the 'heart' that Spiderman had, but then again, its not as overly sentimental as Spidey either. There is a good deal of (inspired) slapstick in this movie, what with Downey trying to figure out his new toy. There's also plenty of one liners and quips as well, which only plays to Downey's strengths; his impecable comic timing. I root for guys like Downey sometimes, and he really pulls this role off. I too was sceptical at first, but now that I've seen it, I can't imagine anyone else playing Stark/Iron Man - he owns this movie and isn't overshadowed by any character/actor. And this is the first movie in a long time where Paltrow didn't get on my nerves and she actually pulls off the sexy/smart/vulnerable thing that Troy mentioned previously. Jeff Bridges is impressively menacing in his role, but hopefully, there'll be a viable badguy for Iron Man in the sequel, which is already eluded to at the end (sorry for that spoiler), which will include a proper Marvel storyline.

Not as heartfelt as Spidey 1 or 2, but not as over stylized and sterile as The Hulk, nor is it cartoonish like the Fantastic Four.

If you're a fan of Marvel comics or superhero movies, Iron Man is worth the money, but I'm not so sure it needs to be seen on the big screen, whereas I imagine a movie like Speed Racer is a must for the big screen because of the CGI (even if its as busy as it looks in the trailers). But if yer like me (that's too bad, BTW), you'll like Iron Man.

One major gripe are the antagonists in this movie, which weren't very well fleshed out, say for example, the terrorists, who are comically buffoonish and resemble the bad guys from Indiana Jones: Temple Of Doom. If only it were true...

FWIW and oh BTW, Marvel comics kicks DC's ass.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Worf101
05-08-2008, 05:31 AM
"FWIW and oh BTW, Marvel comics kicks DC's ass."

As a member of the "Merry Marvel Marching Society from 1964 or abouts I agree wholeheartedly. Yeah, Marvels had some dogs out there, "The Hulk" and "Ghost Rider" but they've more hits than misses. I for one would pay good money to see a some crossovers though. I for one didn't think Afflecks "Daredevil" was all that bad. I'd love to see him vs. Spidey or Spidey vs. Ironman. But my ulitmare cross over would be Wolverine vs. Batman. Wow.... Talk about an Alien vs. Preadator knock down drag out. Of course Batman or Ironman vs. Preadator wouldn't be half bad either.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
05-08-2008, 06:22 AM
I'd love to see an adaptation of the Frank Miller "Wolverine" mini-series, though a "Wolverine v. Batman" movie would be mighty fine too. Jackman and Bale sluggin in out in HiDef? Fuggedabouttitt...

Hey Worfster, how's things in Albany? I hear times are tough.

http://dragoncontv.com/wp-content/Klingon_Homeless.jpg

Groundbeef
05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
I'd love to see an adaptation of the Frank Miller "Wolverine" mini-series, though a "Wolverine v. Batman" movie would be mighty fine too. Jackman and Bale sluggin in out in HiDef? Fuggedabouttitt...

Bob, your an ass. I just spit out my water on my laptop.

Worf, get off the street.

Worf101
05-08-2008, 08:54 AM

THAT my friend was priceless. Perfect Just Perfect. As for the Wolverine movie, they're supposed to making a film about him as one of the X-Men spin-offs. But Jackman vs. Bale would be just too much fun!!!!

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Leave it to sticks. :lol:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I saw Iron Man last Saturday. Its is one of the best movies I have seen in a loooooong time. Great humor, good dialog, great effects, nice chemistry between the lead characters, and great sound. The popcorn was F'd up, but the movie was great.

Beef, I was thinkin the same thing. Worfster, you look threatening even with a $hitty grin on your face. Put the sign down my bass slingin klingon friend!

thekid
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Saw Iron Man today and highly recommend it. The acting was very good and the story was not CGI driven. I was not sure of Robert Downey either but he actually does a very good job. A little hint if you have not seen the movie yet you need to stay through the credits-all of them-that's all I will say at this point.

Groundbeef
05-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Saw Iron Man today and highly recommend it. The acting was very good and the story was not CGI driven. I was not sure of Robert Downey either but he actually does a very good job. A little hint if you have not seen the movie yet you need to stay through the credits-all of them-that's all I will say at this point.

Great, another "spoiler" on the boards AND NO WARNING. Now, I don't even need to see the FREAKIN movie, cuz I know there are credits at the end. What a jerk. Nobody can respect a suprise ending anymore.

Dammit.

thekid
05-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Great, another "spoiler" on the boards AND NO WARNING. Now, I don't even need to see the FREAKIN movie, cuz I know there are credits at the end. What a jerk. Nobody can respect a suprise ending anymore.

Dammit.

GB

Sorry for ruining it for you....since you do not plan on seeing the movie here is a quick story sysnopsis;

Rich boy/genius realizes he has wasted his life away and grows anemic. While working in his lab researching radioactive spiders an accident occurs, exposing his ordinary One-A-Day tablet to a large dose of Gamma rays. He unsuspectingly swallows the new "Super-Supplement" and its chemically altered forms of B6,B12 and Niacin and our hero emerges energized and with the power of 10 Pilate instructors. The evil fast food empire upon learning of this new "Iron-Man" espousing the benefits of a good diet and excercise sends "The King" to stop him. This cyborg is one of the creepiest villians to hit the big screen and uses his "Product-Placement Death Ray" with chilling results. Battle lines are drawn ending in the now famous Dick Cheney-Cheeseburger scene that I can not even begin to describe,so I guess you will just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Rich-n-Texas
05-11-2008, 07:45 AM
GB

Sorry for ruining it for you....since you do not plan on seeing the movie here is a quick story sysnopsis;

Rich boy/genius realizes he has wasted his life away and grows anemic. While working in his lab researching radioactive spiders an accident occurs, exposing his ordinary One-A-Day tablet to a large dose of Gamma rays. He unsuspectingly swallows the new "Super-Supplement" and its chemically altered forms of B6,B12 and Niacin and our hero emerges energized and with the power of 10 Pilate instructors. The evil fast food empire upon learning of this new "Iron-Man" espousing the benefits of a good diet and excercise sends "The King" to stop him. This cyborg is one of the creepiest villians to hit the big screen and uses his "Product-Placement Death Ray" with chilling results. Battle lines are drawn ending in the now famous Dick Cheney-Cheeseburger scene that I can not even begin to describe,so I guess you will just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.
Wait a second. That doesn't sound right. :idea:

Worf101
05-12-2008, 04:55 AM
GB

Acktually, that's a pretty interesting premise you got there kid. I like it, run with it. We'll have a pitch meeting next Monday.

Da Worfster

thekid
05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Acktually, that's a pretty interesting premise you got there kid. I like it, run with it. We'll have a pitch meeting next Monday.

Da Worfster

Have your people call my people and we will set it up....

I want the rights to all Action Figures, the product placement rights/money with the One-A-
Day people and my usual percentage of the gross and world wide distribution rights.

Now where did I leave my script for Aquafina Man.......

bobsticks
05-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Kid you're right on target. Them's some funny chit. Green Wiki for you.

Groundbeef
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
GB

Well, at least it was a supplemant, not a "laxative".

Rich-n-Texas
05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Looks like Speed Racer is a bomb at the box office... Iron Man at the top, two weeks in a row. I'm convinced. :yesnod:

(I wonder if my local movie theater serves Margaritas :ihih: )

markw
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Fargin' loved it! Downey is excellent in the role of a smart-arse who finds a purpose in life the hard way, and goes for it. Gweneth (sp?) never looked better or more sweet/spicy and played her role to "purrfection"and "The Dude" makes a pretty convincing bad guy. Nice humor interspersed throughout.

Granted, it did take a little time to build up to the climax but wadaywant? It's an origin story.

And, yes, it did take some suspension of belief but remember, it's a fargin' comic book! If you want realisim, go watch Schindler's List. Me, I want escapism and thrills and this one delivers in spades. Mrs W already informed me that we're gonna buy this one as soon as it comes out on DVD.

Rich-n-Texas
05-13-2008, 04:05 PM
"THE DUDE"??? Yer sh!tin' me! He's in it? That's it... I'm out the door RIGHT NOW!!!

(Hoping no one peed on his rug this time)

3-LockBox
05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
And, yes, it did take some suspension of belief but remember, it's a fargin' comic book!

Actually, this takes a liitle less suspension than other movies, because nothing happens over night. In both Batman and Spider-Man movies, villains are created over night (well, Spidey too). Stark invents his own superhero suit (and a cool suit it is). Yeah, maybe he masters it a tad quickly, but it gives you the impression of a ordinary man doing extrordinary things, which is what I like about Batman (Iron Man would mop the floor with Batman, BTW). These guys choose to fight crime when they could otherwise easily shelter themselves from it. When you're a hairy dude with really bad hair and dumb sideburns, and knives shoot out of your knuckles, or you look like you're made of rock, you got no choice.

Rich-n-Texas
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Actually, this takes a liitle less suspension than other movies, because nothing happens over night. In both Batman and Spider-Man movies, villains are created over night (well, Spidey too). Stark invents his own superhero suit (and a cool suit it is). Yeah, maybe he masters it a tad quickly, but it gives you the impression of a ordinary man doing extrordinary things, which is what I like about Batman (Iron Man would mop the floor with Batman, BTW). These guys choose to fight crime when they could otherwise easily shelter themselves from it. When you're a hairy dude with really bad hair and dumb sideburns, and knives shoot out of your knuckles, or you look like you're made of rock, you got no choice.
:mad5: I HOPE you didn't think you were going to be able to sneak this one by.

More later...

Worf101
05-16-2008, 03:46 AM
:mad5: I HOPE you didn't think you were going to be able to sneak this one by.

More later...
In this corner..... Wow, I just KNEW that someone was going to rise to the bait sooner or later. But I didn't think it would be this quick:yikes: . Well the popcorns poppin'. JSE's on a beer run. F.A.'s getting the first aid supplys in order. LeBeouf is cooking his relatives on the grill. Sir Terrence is "rounding up the usual suspects" this includes Kex, Kam, Bubsticks et. al.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!

Da Worfster :D

"Holy crud, I just passed 2,000 posts."

markw
05-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Actually, this takes a liitle less suspension than other movies, because nothing happens over night. I guess conceiving, designing and fabricating a flying iron suit that shoots rockets and fire along with a new power source in a cave in Afghanistan while under constant survellience by bloodthirsty terrorists is less prepostrous than being bitten by a radioactive spider, eh?

Dude, they are all fargin' comic books!

Rich-n-Texas
05-16-2008, 04:44 AM
"More later..." means: I haven't seen Ironman yet so I can't rush to judgement. But I think, as is usually the case, when we see how Batman dispatches the next villian, 3LB WILL regain his senses. :yesnod:

bfalls
05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
I agree, this is one for the home system. Saw it last night. Good story, good characters, good effects. I saw it in a smaller mall theater, so it had all the ummmph and intensity. My wife and grandkids saw "Speed Racer" at the IMAX. All said "Iron Man" is much better. The red suit was great. I love all the techy stuff. Downey played a great part. I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role. Just like Christopher Reeve as Superman. Highly recommended.

Worf101
05-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Wen't to the "not the best sound system" theatre and saw this movie on Friday night. It was good, not the best Comic Book adaptation ever like some were saying but up there. I still put the following ahead of it but only slightly:

1. Superman 1
2. Batman - Keaton
3. Spiderman 1 & 2
4. Batman Begins
5. Conan The Barbarian
6. Tales from the Crypt

I could see this movie again and may change my mind but right now this is where it stands.

Da Worfster

3-LockBox
05-19-2008, 01:55 PM
"More later..." means: I haven't seen Ironman yet so I can't rush to judgement. But I think, as is usually the case, when we see how Batman dispatches the next villian, 3LB WILL regain his senses. :yesnod:

Batman's always overshadowed by his villains. From the looks of a few trailers, this trend won't change with the next Batman. I've always been a fan of Iron Man, since I was a kid, so I'm irreversably biased.

3-LockBox
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
I guess conceiving, designing and fabricating a flying iron suit that shoots rockets and fire along with a new power source in a cave in Afghanistan while under constant survellience by bloodthirsty terrorists is less prepostrous than being bitten by a radioactive spider, eh?

Hey, it could happen...if only terrorists were this stupid.

3-LockBox
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I still put the following ahead of it but only slightly:

3. Spiderman 1 & 2
4. Batman Begins
5. Conan The Barbarian

I don't think I said it the best ever. But I'd edit your list slightly. I thought Tales From The Crypt was a TV show? Yes, Spiderman 1 & 2 has way more heart than most any superhero movie. Its prolly best no other superhero even attempt it. Superman 1 has Christopher Reeves acting circles around everyone else (even Hackman), but it plods so badly in places (IMO of course). Batman Begins is the definitive Batman movie as far as I'm concerned, and I loved the Keaton version when it first came out. Christian Bale is the better Batman though, and more importantly, he's the better Bruce Wayne.

And I always forget about Conan being a comic book character; good call. I never really read any of the comics anyway, but I musta watched that movie 20 times. I need to introduce my 14 year old son to this movie. Too bad they didn't follow through with more sequels, or at least, sequels the quality of the original. How do you think a movie about Conan would do now? Do you get someone else to do play Conan, or do you wait for Arnie to quit this politics thing and play an aging Conan? Is Arnold too far gone to pull it off anyway?

Contemplate this, on the tree of woe.

Worf101
05-20-2008, 04:19 AM
I don't think I said it the best ever. But I'd edit your list slightly. I thought Tales From The Crypt was a TV show? Yes, Spiderman 1 & 2 has way more heart than most any superhero movie. Its prolly best no other superhero even attempt it. Superman 1 has Christopher Reeves acting circles around everyone else (even Hackman), but it plods so badly in places (IMO of course). Batman Begins is the definitive Batman movie as far as I'm concerned, and I loved the Keaton version when it first came out. Christian Bale is the better Batman though, and more importantly, he's the better Bruce Wayne.

And I always forget about Conan being a comic book character; good call. I never really read any of the comics anyway, but I musta watched that movie 20 times. I need to introduce my 14 year old son to this movie. Too bad they didn't follow through with more sequels, or at least, sequels the quality of the original. How do you think a movie about Conan would do now? Do you get someone else to do play Conan, or do you wait for Arnie to quit this politics thing and play an aging Conan? Is Arnold too far gone to pull it off anyway?

Contemplate this, on the tree of woe.
The "Tales from the Crypt" I'm referring to was a British Movie from 1972:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069341/

Extremely faithful to the EC Comics Horror Comic tradition. Excellent conversion of the book to the film.

As to Conon. Have him play the aging king if you can. No body prothesis to make him have pec's he no longer has. I'd have someone play his son though. There's a series of books where King Conan's son is murdered by a wizard bent on revenge. I'd love to see Conan reborn again.

Da Worfster

Smokey
05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd love to see Conan reborn again.

Da Worfster

He was reborn in Conan the Destroyer. But thank to that movie, it also killed that franchise because the movie was so bad.

3-LockBox
05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
He was reborn in Conan the Destroyer. But thank to that movie, it also killed that franchise because the movie was so bad.

Well, I think Red Sonja had something to do with that as well. It was supposed to be a Conan tie-in, but it was done by a different studio, so they couldn't use the Conan name. Just as well, cuz Red Sonja was a disaster of a movie. Brigitte Neilsen was such a bad actor, she made Arnold look like Lawrence Olivier.

Both of these movies (Destroyer and Sonja) look like they made by people whose only experience in film making was watching old Hercules movies. Any movie that featured Grace Jones as a character actor deserves to die a painful death; she's maybe the most unattractive female that I've ever seen, if she's female. But the whole casting of this movie was stupid, and the budget was 'c' class.

I think Conan is ripe for a redux, if only there was a super buff actor like Arnie that was at least competant. You can have a CGI Hulk, but you can't CGI a Conan.

Rich-n-Texas
05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Batman's always overshadowed by his villains. From the looks of a few trailers, this trend won't change with the next Batman. I've always been a fan of Iron Man, since I was a kid, so I'm irreversably biased.
Well, I guess then there's no convincing you. I was always a Batman fan and yes I'm giulty of watching the TV show religously when I was a kid. I liked ALL of the movies I guess because the villians reminded me of my childhood. And really, those characters from the TV series days kept me in tune just as much as Batman and Boy Wonder did.

I'm taking the next few days off from work, so after I complete my defensive driving class ( :rolleyes: ) I'm going to reward myself by going to see Ironman. I'm sure I'll like it.

Ya know, I never read comic books growing up. :nonod:

AncientWalkman
06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree with Mark, i have zero interest in Speed Racer, but Iron Man looks good.

bill

I have seen Iron Man and loved it! I would see it again too if I had the choice to see either SR or IM...no interest what so ever in SR. Sorry Speed. :p

BRANDONH
06-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago.
Already have the Blu-Ray on pre-order with Amazon.