surround fix with airstop [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : surround fix with airstop

budgetaudio76
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
bought a brand used pair of speaks today. infinity RSa pair for 20 dollars. great deal fully functional....almost. i need to patch the foam surround. and im thinking ozark trail vinyl airstop. but im thinking will it eat up the foam? sure want to patch em up. i know, iknow, they cost very little why dont i just try it and find out with out any info. i dont know. other surround jobs ive seen have been quite shoddy to say the best. im sure i could do a good job of it but i dont want to take the time to do it for a while. so have you used this product for fixing surrounds? feed back much appreciated.:11:

budgetaudio76
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
dont go this route. stuff shrinks when drying. then it starts warping. tears it up.
jits really easy to refoam them. i thought it would be much harder. but no.i used supplied shims for alignment.

mlsstl
05-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I second the motion on just completely replacing the foam surrounds. I just finished doing this for a friend and it turned out very nicely. The parts came from www.newfoam.com. I did both the woofers and midrange, so four drivers cost $60. The parts arrived in five days and the job wasn't difficult for anyone who is used to working with their hands.

The problem with a partial patch is the elasticity of the surround would no longer be uniform around the circumference of the cone. I think this falls in the category to either do it right or don't do it at all.