Opinions / Details on DCM CX-27? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions / Details on DCM CX-27?

jjkinva
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi all...first post here!

I have a line on a pair of excellent condition used DCM CX-27 speakers from an estate ($80). I'm having one heckuva time trying to find reviews and details...but what I have found is positive.

The main point of confusion is...I found a 2-page "manual" on the DCM site, and it says there are (2) 6.5" drivers in each speaker. But the pictures I have show only 1 woofer. Then I saw more information saying they are a "co-axial design" so I'm guessing the 2nd 6.5" driver is hidden from view.

Does anyone have an opinion on these...and/or first-hand experience?

Thank you very much in advance!!

thekid
05-10-2008, 05:37 AM
JJ

Welcome to AR!!
I have been out of town and just saw your post.
I have recently become a big fan of older/pre-MTX DCM speakers. I am listening to a pair of CX-27's right now and they are indeed a very good speaker and a good deal at $80. They image very well and with a little help from a sub will be a great pair for 2-channel or the mains in HT. I also recommend TF-600's if you are looking at other DCM speakers.

Based on your name here are the speakers you are looking at from the estate sale listing on CL in central VA?

jjkinva
05-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Hey...thanks for the reply. I did buy the CX-27's...picked them up on Thursday. The seller even found the original "manual" which is just a 1-page double-sided sheet of glossy paper. I'm listening to them now as well...Steely Dan's Aja. They do sound great. I haven't needed to use them with my powered subwoofer yet...bass is fine.

I was a little confused doing research on the web, because the specs were 2-6.5" woofers, but I only saw one in pics. Interesting design, in that the other 6.5 woofer is mounted behind the tweeter.

The CL post I found them on was northern VA (Warrenton). It was an estate sale, a gentleman passed away and his widow was clearing out his extensive collection of stuff. The guy who is selling these items sent me an Excel spreadsheet listing the audio gear. Bunch o' stuff...even a couple of reel-to-reel tape decks.

Thanks again,
Jeff

thekid
05-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Great!!

I think they do best with accoustic,light jazz and classical. They do bass better than most and most of the time I only use he sub when listening to HT. If you like the CX-27's you will also like their Time Frame series specifically the 600 or 700 series.

I had inquired about those from the same owner but another pair came available a little closer to home. You can download some of the older DCM speaker manuals from their current site if you need a spare copy. As you saw there is not much to them.

jjkinva
05-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Speaking of HT (again, newbie here...I'm assuming that's Home Theater)...saw a set (4) of the DCM CX-007 + the DCM CX-Center speaker for $75 (+ significant shipping cost from California, I'm sure) on eBay.

I'm assuming these would be matched to the CX-27 and work well.

I've seen good reviews of the TimeFrame series as well. Is the TimeFrame a step up from the CX series?

Thanks again for your posts!

thekid
05-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Speaking of HT (again, newbie here...I'm assuming that's Home Theater)...saw a set (4) of the DCM CX-007 + the DCM CX-Center speaker for $75 (+ significant shipping cost from California, I'm sure) on eBay.

I'm assuming these would be matched to the CX-27 and work well.

I've seen good reviews of the TimeFrame series as well. Is the TimeFrame a step up from the CX series?

Thanks again for your posts!

I just bought a DCM CX Center channel off E-Bay a couple of weeks ago for $10. They come on there pretty often from what I could see. Their was also one on sale there in NoVa on CL. It is a later model so not sure about the SQ and the price seems a bit high.

IMO the TimeFrames are step up from the CX series. The Time Frames are semi transmission line speaker which allows for better bass extension. I own a pair of TF-500's and TF-600's. The TF-600's and the CX-27's both have 2 - 6 1/2 woofers but the 600's have 2 more tweeters than the CX-27's one of which is rear firing. I am sure there other differences but IMO the 600's just have greater depth and range than the 27's. The TF series are also rather unique in appearance and are not your ordinary box speaker. I think there is a pair on E-Bay at the moment and you can look at them and see what I mean.

I have not heard too much about the CX-07's other than that they are fairly small. If you are looking at adding more DCM's I would consider the following;

- Getting a pair of TF series (500 or above) for the fronts and moving the 27's to the rear
- Getting another pair of 27's
- Getting a pair of CX 17's for the rear

If you think you might be buying a pair of TF series speakers just be aware they have a grill sock that you want to make sure is in good condition. I see them on Ebay or CL and they are often desribed as having holes or tears. Also they do come in matched pairs so make sure you have 2 with sequential serial numbers so that you know you are getting a left/right pair.

In the meantime enjoy those 27's!!