Floorspeakers in large room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorspeakers in large room

crash32
04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I just spoke to the Tweeter sales rep and he had "concerns" about how big I need to go since my living room is a bit on the large side since the living room and dining room is actually one room.

The demensions of the room is 18' (depth) and 32' wide. I also have vaulted celings that go about 16 or 17' high.

The speakers that I have been considering are the B&W 683, Monitor RS6 and the NHT Classic 4's. Do these speakers have the potential of filling the room or do I need to look at larger more capable speakers?

Also, eventhough the Klipsch were a bit too bright for me.... I noticed that they were very open speakers (the filled the room easily). I am not sure if "open" is the apporiate terminology??? Do the other speakers that I listed fill the rooms well?

blackraven
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Thats a big room for sure. Those speakers should do ok in that room with a proper amp and speaker placement. You have to take into acount where you will be sitting in relation to the speakers as well. The NHT's will have better bass since they have a 10" bass driver. If you can afford bigger and better speakers go for it.

My family room is 17X17 with 9' ceilings and opens into the kitchen which is 15x20 with 9' ceilings and my maggies sound excellent when sitting in the family room.

crash32
04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Is there a proper term to explain the ability for a speaker to fill a room as opposed to you having to be in a certain position to hear it best?

blackraven
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Sound stage! Also, most if not all speakers have a sweet spot where they sound the best.