Finally, a Marantz amp review in North America!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a Marantz amp review in North America!!!

Ajani
04-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I had to pinch myself twice when I saw the cover of this month's issue of Stereophile - The Marantz SM-11S1 Power Amp with the heading "Living up the Marantz Legacy"....

I've been wondering for quite some time why we rarely see reviews for Marantz amps in North America, especially considering how well received the amps are in Europe and how highly rated all their CD players are in North America....

Anyway, it was good to read the review.... the reviewer loved it, thought it was superior to the Class A rated NAD M3 and didn't embarass itself replacing his reference 1kilowatt Musical Fidelity Amps... so I'm anxious to see what rating the Marantz will get, based on the review and technical measurements, I'd guess Class A...

Hopefully we'll see alot more Marantz amp reviews and frankly reviews of other products that don't get much reviewer attention in North America...

O'Shag
04-28-2008, 12:46 PM
The only problem is that it was reviewed by Michael Fremer. I just don't give much credence to anything he reviews anymore. For that matter, I don't take many of the reviews in Stereophile and TAS too seriously. Just read Bob Reina's review of the Paradigm 20 - its so full of inconsistencies. At first he says its the best hes ever heard of any speaker?!??. Then goes on to say that the the others he uses for comparison sound better and there both around $600 each. Go Figure??!? Mikey Fremer is worse, believing that the average person would consider a $20,000 component affordable. These people have their head in the clouds. Pity, because I do like the mags in general.

Having said that, I'm sure the Marantz is an excellent component. It's also very attractive looking.

Ajani
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
The only problem is that it was reviewed by Michael Fremer. I just don't give much credence to anything he reviews anymore. For that matter, I don't take many of the reviews in Stereophile and TAS too seriously. Just read Bob Reina's review of the Paradigm 20 - its so full of inconsistencies. At first he says it the best hes ever heard. Then goes on to say that the the others he uses for comparison sound better. Go Figure??!? Fremer is worse. Pity, because I do like the mags in general.

Having said that, I'm sure the Marantz is an excellent component. It's also very attractive looking.

I thought pretty much the same thing when I read Reina's review of the Paradigm's.... It was just a really strange review...

O'Shag
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Bob Reina was definitely smoking something - and whatever it was I want some of it!

I think what is happening is that these guys have been given a directive. The manufacturers see a long and deep recession settling in, and they have instructed the mags to focus on their more affordable offereings.

Are you considering the Marantz SM11-S1 to drive the Monitor Audio's? They would probably be an ace match.

Ajani
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Bob Reina was definitely smoking something - and whatever it was I want some of it!

I think what is happening is that these guys have been given a directive. The manufacturers see a long and deep recession settling in, and they have instructed the mags to focus on their more affordable offereings.

Are you considering the Marantz SM11-S1 to drive the Monitor Audio's? They would probably be an ace match.

If I can find a good deal on the Marantz, then definitely... I suspect that Marantz and Monitor Audio will be a really sweet combo.... But anyway, I've still got a long wait before I get to buy my stereo... so I've got lots of time to consider options....

pixelthis
04-30-2008, 12:09 AM
The only problem is that it was reviewed by Michael Fremer. I just don't give much credence to anything he reviews anymore. For that matter, I don't take many of the reviews in Stereophile and TAS too seriously. Just read Bob Reina's review of the Paradigm 20 - its so full of inconsistencies. At first he says its the best hes ever heard of any speaker?!??. Then goes on to say that the the others he uses for comparison sound better and there both around $600 each. Go Figure??!? Mikey Fremer is worse, believing that the average person would consider a $20,000 component affordable. These people have their head in the clouds. Pity, because I do like the mags in general.

I wonder if old Fremmer is still worshiping at the feet of the god of vinyl.
I have never seen such a fanatic in my life.
How much is this amp anyway ? :1:

frenchmon
05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I wonder if old Fremmer is still worshiping at the feet of the god of vinyl.
I have never seen such a fanatic in my life.
How much is this amp anyway ? :1:

I was also wondering, and still am wondering why the Marantz Reference line is not talked about and considered as of the main stream high end audio companies as the Krells and the likes. The review brings out the fact that the only true two pioneers in this business is Mcintosh, and Marantz. I thought it was an excellent article, but I am bias towards Marantz. I love Marantz, always have, and always will.

This particular amp is listed at $3999.

frenchmon

JohnMichael
05-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I called a dealer I have dealt with and told them I was looking for something a little more high end than what I have. He recommended the Marantz PM-15 integrated amp from the reference series. The amp is $1995 and he felt my two integrated amps the Onkyo and the Cambridge Audio 640A were good and he had nothing to better them until the Marantz. Sounds like the Marantz amps are respected by those who have heard them but they need more exposure in the press.