Audio to home theater through computer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio to home theater through computer

newb08
04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi all,
Complete newb question coming up. I have an iMesh account that I want to be able to play the WMA files through my home theater speakers. The computer is about 12' from my receiver so it could either be wireless or wired. I've heard wireless is still sketchy so I lean towards wired. But if I'm wrong please let me know as I am not opposed to either. That being said, I'd like to keep costs as low as possible.
I have a Pioneer VSX-515 receiver (cheap I know) & a Bose Acoustimass 16 system. The computer is a dell C521. The computer does not have speakers hooked up (don't need them) if that makes a difference.
Any ideas on the best way to go about doing this?
Thanks in advance!
Chris

pixelthis
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Check out the LINKS BELOW FOR SOMETHING CALLED A USB DAC.
Or an external sound card. I have a cheap external sound card and it works fine.
External is key because of the electronic hash zipping around in your typical computer.
As for the distance I gave up, parked my computer next to my system, use my main monitor for viewing my desktop, and wireless mouse and keyboard for control.
If you want to keep em seperate maybe a 12' USB cable will work, or 12" audio cables,
havent tried either one
:1:

http://www.audio-magus.com/

http://www.firestone-audio.com/

emesbee
04-30-2008, 07:13 AM
I've installed an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card in my computer, and have connected it to my Musical Fidelity E11 stereo amplifier using a fairly good quality cable around 5m long. The M-Audio 2496 is quite a good sound card, designed primarily for music (not for gaming, like so many other cards). It has gold plated RCA jacks, instead of those awful 3mm sockets that most cards have. I'm getting very good results from this setup, noise levels are very low.

JStudrawa
05-08-2008, 04:42 AM
I use the RCA Lyra Wireless setup to my AVR about 30ft away. Works great.