Choosing a Movie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Movie

Smokey
04-26-2008, 06:11 PM
When a new movie come to your local theater or on DVD, what is the strongest motive that make you part with some cash and see the movie?

Was it word of mouth, the cast, director, wife/husband factor, the subject, theme, sound, the period, etc... that was the main factor in your decision.

For me granted that word of mouth is positive, then the cast and theme of movie will weight heaviest when trying to decide whether to see a movie or not.

s dog
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
When a new movie come to your local theater or on DVD, what is the strongest motive that make you part with some cash and see the movie?

Was it word of mouth, the cast, director, wife/husband factor, the subject, theme, sound, the period, etc... that was the main factor in your decision.

For me granted that word of mouth is positive, then the cast and theme of movie will weight heaviest when trying to decide whether to see a movie or not.
Word of mouth,cast, theme, picture, sound, T&A.

3-LockBox
04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
what is the strongest motive that make you part with some cash and see the movie?Two words:

Marvel Comics

kexodusc
04-27-2008, 03:11 AM

Good question? I guess it's some combination of all the above, but I also put weight into previews. You can usually tell from a preview a bit about chemistry, story, and how well it might all come together, and more often than not I can tell when a preview is just giving away the best parts (in which case it might be all downhill after that). There's only 2 actors I really trust never to let me down in a movie these days, and neither are really among my favorite actors: Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCapprio. These guys must have good agents because they always seem to end up in good movies. Sometimes their good because of the acting, some times in spite of it, but whatever works.

I don't chase directors. Actually I get bored of the predictability of many directors. Tim Burton especially.

Guess it comes down to a gut feeling and a bit of a guess as to whether or not I'll like it. I can usually screen non-theater worthy movies very effectively, but I'd say 3/10 I see I'd later deem "rental" quality.

Smokey
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess it's some combination of all the above, but I also put weight into previews. You can usually tell from a preview a bit about chemistry, story, and how well it might all come together, and more often than not I can tell when a preview is just giving away the best parts (in which case it might be all downhill after that).

There's only 2 actors I really trust never to let me down in a movie these days, and neither are really among my favorite actors: Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCapprio. These guys must have good agents because they always seem to end up in good movies.

I don't chase directors. Actually I get bored of the predictability of many directors. Tim Burton especially.

You have many good point regarding predictability of movie being good. And also forgot about mentioning previews as the main motive.

I used to count on actors and directors such as Pacino, Deniro or Spielberg as being the main reason for seeing a movie. But as you said, predictability of movie became too inconsistent going by those factors alone.

kexodusc
04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
You have many good point regarding predictability of movie being good. And also forgot about mentioning previews as the main motive.

I used to count on actors and directors such as Pacinoi, deniro or Spileberg as being the main reason for seeing a movie. But as you said, predictability of movie became too inconsistent going by those factors alone.
I still give Spielberg the benefit of the doubt (War of the Worlds not withstanding), and I still very much like anything George Lucas touches, bad dialog and all. I like Tarantino movies too, I just don't go see it because it's Tarantino.

I think the only free pass I give is to huge summer blockbusters. The $250 million and up categorie, yeah, I'll probably go see it...if it bombs, I'll have a right to blast it.

Smokey
04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Damn Kex, you didn't even give me a chance to edit my post before responding :D

I think the only free pass I give is to huge summer blockbusters. The $250 million and up categorie, yeah, I'll probably go see it...if it bombs, I'll have a right to blast it.

You probably get a chance to blast a blockbuster if Indiana Jones movie bomb next month in the theaters. But let's hope you don't have to :)