Went to an audio store today to look at speakers.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Went to an audio store today to look at speakers..

crash32
04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
I went to Tweeter today in NC to look at some speakers and listen to them to see how I liked different types of speakers.

I am not sure I accomplished today since there were only two speakers that I listend to that were in my price range. The two that I listened to were the Klipsch RF-62's and the Focal Chorus 800V. I hardly ever hear anyone talking about Focal speakers on this message board.

I liked both speakers just fine and keep in mind these speakers are the first speakers that I have listened to that cost above $500. The Klipsch seemed brighter than the Focals, but the Focals still seemed a bit bright for an European made speaker which is the opposite of what I have heard.

Now that I have heard speakers that are near $1,000 a pair.......how much better are the other speakers (listed below) that you guys have recommened to me over the two that I heard today? I am just trying to get an idea of how much better the quality of the sound might be from the below listed speakers.

Monitor RS6
Axiom M80
B&W 684
NHT Classic 4's

frenchmon
04-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I went to Tweeter today in NC to look at some speakers and listen to them to see how I liked different types of speakers.

I am not sure I accomplished today since there were only two speakers that I listend to that were in my price range. The two that I listened to were the Klipsch RF-62's and the Focal Chorus 800V. I hardly ever hear anyone talking about Focal speakers on this message board.

I liked both speakers just fine and keep in mind these speakers are the first speakers that I have listened to that cost above $500. The Klipsch seemed brighter than the Focals, but the Focals still seemed a bit bright for an European made speaker which is the opposite of what I have heard.

Now that I have heard speakers that are near $1,000 a pair.......how much better are the other speakers (listed below) that you guys have recommened to me over the two that I heard today? I am just trying to get an idea of how much better the quality of the sound might be from the below listed speakers.

Monitor RS6
Axiom M80
B&W 684
NHT Classic 4's

Well if you want to hear the Monitor speakes go over to Audio Video Excellences down the street from Tweaters over on 70 in Raliegh.

If you want to hear the B&W's go over to Audio Advice around the corner from Audio Video Excellence.

If you wnt to hear the NHT, then go over to Advanced Audio over in Cary.

The Axiom are internet speakers.

frenchmon

kexodusc
04-26-2008, 02:34 AM
I've never heard the Focal's you've mentioned, but I think you owe it to yourself to test some other speakers. In your list, Klipsch would probably be my least favorite, not because they're bad, but they're just not the sound my ears like. You may find they are the perfect match for you though, but by testing a few others, you'll be a bit more sure. Speakers account for the most variance in sound in your system, so due process is in order.

Besides, shopping is half the fun.

A word on Axiom...I have found their speakers to be of exceptional value, better than considerably higher priced store bought speakers for the most part. The only downside is the fact you have to order without testing, and put up with shipping to return them if you don't like them. Axiom's website has a forum where people often let prospective buyers in their area meet up for a quick demo. There's other internet based companies out there with the same business model. Worth a consideration, IMO.

crash32
04-26-2008, 04:29 AM
I think that I might go to Raleigh and take my friend with me....see what we can come up with! What brand of speakers would you guys compare the Axiom M80's with? What are the particular sound qualities of the Axiom M80's. I read a review on these speakers and wow, the review was unbeleivable!!

StevenSurprenant
04-26-2008, 05:53 AM
I think that I might go to Raleigh and take my friend with me....see what we can come up with! What brand of speakers would you guys compare the Axiom M80's with? What are the particular sound qualities of the Axiom M80's. I read a review on these speakers and wow, the review was unbeleivable!!

I read some of the reviews and the Axiom sounds very nice, but be forewarned, reviews can be misleading. I have listened to very highly reviewed speakers and walked away shaking my head. It's a matter of taste and perhaps the electronics used during the reviews.

My recommendation is as follows...

When you listen to new speakers and completely forget about the speakers themselves and find yourself talking about the music playing then perhaps you might have a keeper. If your attention keeps going back to the speakers then keep walking.

A good speaker should sonically disappear from the room. Nothing should sound like it is coming from the speaker itself. You should only hear a three dimensional tapestry floating in the air.

When I listen to a good system, I find myself "looking" at the instruments or singers. I actually turn my head toward where the instruments seems to be coming from. I actually have to remind myself to look at the speaker itself from time to time.

Also, keep in mind that for a speaker system to sound good, they should be away from the back and side walls. If they are against the wall or on a shelf, you are only hearing a fraction of what they are capable of. Many stores don't have the room to properly stage them for the best sound.

Another recommendation is to listen to the very best that you can find in your area and use that as a reference. I've listened to systems that cost more than my house. While I could never afford it, it became my reference point. There are many much lower priced systems that give much of what the best gives. There are also many systems at all price ranges that are a waste of money. Of course, it is all a matter of taste.

Most of my auditions last approximately 5 seconds. Every once in a while, I find myself thinking "WOW" and then I spend hours listening.

The last recommendation is to not impulse buy. After listening, walk away. If after time, (for me it would be months or years), you find that you can't get them out of your head, then you've found your speakers.

Good hunting!

mlsstl
04-26-2008, 01:58 PM
crash32, what type of music do you listen to and "how"? That can make a difference in your choice of speakers.

If you like the latest in pop/rock/rap and tend to listen in a "party" environment, you'll probably be happier with something efficient and loud like a Klipsch. If your focus is on unamplified acoustic instruments (classical, folk, jazz, etc.) and your goal is to recreate the illusion (as best is possible) of live instruments in your listening room, I suspect you'd end up with a different type of speaker.

Some people listen to a very wide variety of music so, unless they have a very big budget, will often need to prioritize what is important to them so they can make an effective compromise.

The more info you provide along these lines, the better the answers you'll get!

blackraven
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I think you will find that the 3 speakers in your list will be better than the Axioms and klipsch. NHT's have a very warm pleasing sound and very good bass. I find the B&W's to be more neutral and accurate. The Monitor Audio's have a more neutral sound with excellent mid range and a slightly foward presentation. You cant go wrong with any of those but its a matter of personal preference. What type of music do you like?

crash32
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
The speakers will be used for about 75% DVD and 25% music. The kind of music I like listening to is classical, R&B, rock/ soft rock, and I also love awesome guitar solos such as those from Jimi, Eric Clampton, and Gun'n Roses etc. I really do listen to a wide range of music, but that is what I listen to the most.

When I am watching my DVD's in surround, would it make a huge difference which speakers I got when it comes to special effects, or is that mostly a sub woofer thing?