And the surrounding mountains..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And the surrounding mountains.....

Davey
03-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Wow, this is some great Sunday morning music! How many have this CD from a couple years ago by the Radar Brothers? It's become one of my favorites of the last few years. Very warm sound, yet so epic and powerful. It starts out sorta resembling the sound of the Beatles on Hey Jude. I remember one reviewer describing it in somewhat disparagingly terms as Lambchop eats the Handsome Family, but that honestly isn't a bad description. It does have some of that metropolitan country sound of Lambchop with the strings and pianos, and also has some rather twisted tales of death and salvation hiding beneath the innocently delivered lyrics like the Handsome Family. Or maybe a mix of Meddle era Pink Floyd and After the Gold Rush Neil Young. Oh well, I wasn't really intending this to be a review - there's plenty of raves at amazon or other places online if you wanna get more info. I was really just curious if others enjoy this one and while on the subject, what about the one before this as I only have this one right now? Or any other Sunday tunes worth a mention?

Whooptee
03-07-2004, 02:14 PM
I had that album in rotation last week. Very nice. The Radar Bros.' The Singing Hatchet was also quite good, though I can't find my copy of it anywhere to give a it a fresh listen. Hopefully, I didn't accidentally include it in one of my purges.

John

tentoze
03-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Only Radar Bros I have is the S/T from '96, and I haven't really listened to it much, as it didn't get my attention much at all. I did, however, pick up Lambchop's Aw C'mon yesterday and it is fine- different than I expected, but not in a bad way- haven't lived with it enough to really say too much other than Kurt Wagner's voice is as engaging as ever........

Davey
11-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Ah, old thread but good record. Just got the latest from these guys called Auditorium, guess it came out early this year on Merge, and first listen is very good. Reminds me of the Surrounding Mountains with that early Pink Floyd (post Syd) ambience. Think I'm gonna like this alot. The last one (?) Fallen Leaf was good, though just didn't have quite the right flow for me. Had one of their better songs though in Papillon ... made it onto one of my less than best comps called New Disguise that I sent out to a few people as a bonus (?) with the big Voyager One mystery disc giveaway a couple years ago ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0TIVhqiHMs

bobsticks
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I am looking for some type of music that is a cross between Myra Floren,Bowies
Ziggie phase and Charlie Manson parole hearings.

That's easy, you need Coyote's "Outsides" from Swishy's lair, Philly.

http://www.hotdogcityrecords.com/images/coyoteoutsides.jpg