Converting HDMI 1080p/i to Component Video [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Converting HDMI 1080p/i to Component Video

nightflier
04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
I noticed that there are a number of off-brand devices that claim to be able to convert an HDMI input (even a 1080i/p one) to Component output. Here's one selling for $150 on eBay:

Digital HDMI to Analog HD Component Video Converter DAC
Converts HDMI 2HDTV upto 1080i/p analog component video

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-HDMI-to-Analog-HD-Component-Video-Converter-DAC_W0QQitemZ150239333254QQihZ005QQcategoryZ147177 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now doesn't this violate the HDCP? Frankly I don't know why the industry put an arbitrary restriction of 480p on component video (other than to screw the customers into buying something new), so I applaud this type of device. Maybe now that all these digital converter boxes are being sold, they couldn't keep that monkey in the bag, but I'm just trying to figure out if this is legit.

Groundbeef
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I noticed that there are a number of off-brand devices that claim to be able to convert an HDMI input (even a 1080i/p one) to Component output. Here's one selling for $150 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-HDMI-to-Analog-HD-Component-Video-Converter-DAC_W0QQitemZ150239333254QQihZ005QQcategoryZ147177 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now doesn't this violate the HDCP? Frankly I don't know why the industry put an arbitrary restriction of 480p on component video (other than to screw the customers into buying something new), so I applaud this type of device. Maybe now that all these digital converter boxes are being sold, they couldn't keep that monkey in the bag, but I'm just trying to figure out if this is legit.

I don't really know about the legality, but I don't know how it gets around the "handshake" thing that HDMI is all about.

And isn't that restriction only on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies? I get 1080i off DirecTV and my XBOX 360 using component cables. If I had a 1080p TV, the 360 will push that as well.

f0rge
04-23-2008, 05:05 PM
why would you need one? if you're going to run 1080i only then why bother with HDMI? why not just stick with components? everything i have that's 1080p still has component outpus

pixelthis
04-23-2008, 10:54 PM

There is no restriction to 480p for component devices.
my cable box has component and hdmi, and will do 1080i on both.
My samsung DVD player has dvi (hdmi) and component and will output 1080i.
Dont know where you got this one.
And that converter has a d-sub out, great for a computer input but you will probably need
a converter cable for standard component in :1:

Rich-n-Texas
04-24-2008, 05:10 AM
...And that converter has a d-sub out, great for a computer input but you will probably need
a converter cable for standard component in :1:
You certainly don't want to connect a video sources output to a PC's video card output. Now, if the device nightflier talks about will allow you to connect an HDMI source to a regular VGA/DVI PC monitor, that would be great.

nightflier
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Well the input in this adapter is HDMI (any resolution) and the output is standard component or VGA. So theoretically you can plug any HDMI source into older receivers and TVs that only have component inputs (or a projector with VGA input).

In either case, doesn't this bypass HDCP because the copy-protection is not passed through to component or VGA connections? So this makes it possible to record HD content directly to a computer (VGA is standard and a component adapter board can easily be installed). Of course there are no consumer electronics recording devices that have VGA or component built in, but I suppose that these are probably not too far off either. At least I could imagine a DVR with component inputs for an external cable box, for example.

From where I sit, it certainly puts the brakes on this whole rush to upgrade everything to HDMI-compatible devices. As the buying public is more and more constrained by rising costs, the prospect of having to upgrade everything every 2-3 years becomes less attractive and I suspect that there will be a whole lot of people who will try and eek out as much life out of their component-based devices for as long as possible. This device will make that possible for the millions who have HD-capable TVs.

Anyhow, this whole HDCP crap that's been glommed onto HDMI hasn't been sitting well with me anyhow. I know that there are no apparent restrictions on this standard yet, but who's to say there won't be in the future? I'm not interested in bootlegging anything, but I do what to be able to plug my gear into anything I want. So if my Blu-ray player won't do 1080i/p on my 1080i/p HDTV because the latter doesn't have HDMI, that pisses me off.

Likewise, I imagine the public will be rather ticked off if HDCP forces them to sit through crap they don't want to watch like those pirating-is-terrorism bs clips. What if your disk player suddenly made you sit through public service announcements, or your DVR prevented you from fast-forwarding through certain commercials, or your Satellite Dish tracked what you watched and reported this to the government, or your cable box asked you to complete a survey before you could watch Gray's Anatomy? This is all much more likely than we think.

So any device that gets around this Orwellian crap - more power to them!

pixelthis
04-24-2008, 11:20 PM
You certainly don't want to connect a video sources output to a PC's video card output. Now, if the device nightflier talks about will allow you to connect an HDMI source to a regular VGA/DVI PC monitor, that would be great.

Sorry you misunderstood, Rich.
I was talking about the PC input on most of the newer (and older) sets.
Not only would this keep ypu from using your set as a monitor (which is cool)
there are sometimes compatibilty problems with non-PC gear plugged into this connection
It also seems that the main purpose in life for this thing is to get around HDCP.
HDCP is here to stay, and beleiving in copyrights I think on balance its a good thing,
anything to ease the paranoia of the studios about illegal copying is a good thing.
Try to tell them that the major problem is the far east, they dont want to hear it, cant do much about that but they can stop joe sixpack from running a copy off for the inlaws.
In any event content belongs to the content owners, if their restrictions get too onerous
I'll just pass on their undesirable "product" and do something else, like listen to those new Emily remler CD's I got in the mail :1:

Rich-n-Texas
04-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh. I have a DVI input on my TV.