Best floor speakers for less than $1,000 pair? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best floor speakers for less than $1,000 pair?

crash32
04-23-2008, 08:33 AM
I am in the process of building a home theater system, but will be only buying the receiver, woofer, and floor speakers for now. In a few months I will be buying the center, woofer, and surrounds to complete the system.

I have been looking at speakers from B&W and Paradigm. Since I am a total newbie, I really have not had much guidance on what other brands to explore. I was originally looking at the Paradigms, but a ton of people talk about how they are "too bright" and harsh on the ears. In the future, the system will be used mostly for TV, DVD etc and sometimes CD's.

Can anyone recommend a great pair of floor speakers for under $1,000. The room is pretty large so I will be needing something moderately powerful.

In case it makes any difference I will be using an Onkyo 705.

blackraven
04-23-2008, 09:33 AM
If your looking for a great floor stander for under $1k you wont find it, but you can find some good speakers for under $1K.

Here's a few.

Monitor Audio S6 for $999 at http://www.saturday audio.com I think the S6's are on sale for less, also consider the B6 and B8
PSB Image T55 for $949 also at saturday audio onsale for $699
and PSB Image T45 for $799 onsale for $499
Call saturday audio, they will tell you what they think of each speaker and how they compare. I've ordered from them before and they have been very helpful and accomodating.
Sometimes they have an item in stock that is listed as out of stock on their web site.

B&W 684's for $1100
NHT Classic 4's can be found online at discount stores for $1100
Infinity Beta 50's for around $600

bobsticks
04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Strong list of contenders from Blackie...I'd add the KEF Q7's. I have used them in a secondary system for several years now and they do alot well without having any glaring faults. I like 'em enough that I haven't been tempted to upgrade which is saying something.

blackraven
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Here's another possiblity if your open to planar speakers. The Magnepan MMG's for about
$550 and a mirage S8 sub. for about $350 would be an excellent combo. Or you could try and find a used pair of magnepan MG12's on audiogon for under $1K, they retail for $1,100. You still need a sub with the MG12's but you could get by without one for a while. You could probably find a used pair of MMG's for $300 since many peolpe move up to the larger magnepans or find that they dont like the planar sound.

www.magnepan.com

shokhead
04-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Then again all the above might suck after you listen to them. Gold to you might me somebody's pile of crap.

blackraven
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Very true, especially when it comes to audio!

Ajani
04-24-2008, 05:56 AM
If your looking for a great floor stander for under $1k you wont find it, but you can find some good speakers for under $1K.

Here's a few.

Monitor Audio S6 for $999 at http://www.saturday audio.com I think the S6's are on sale for less, also consider the B6 and B8
PSB Image T55 for $949 also at saturday audio onsale for $699
and PSB Image T45 for $799 onsale for $499
Call saturday audio, they will tell you what they think of each speaker and how they compare. I've ordered from them before and they have been very helpful and accomodating.
Sometimes they have an item in stock that is listed as out of stock on their web site.

B&W 684's for $1100
NHT Classic 4's can be found online at discount stores for $1100
Infinity Beta 50's for around $600

All good suggestions - however the Monitor Audio S6 is the old model (prior to 2005),,, the new one is the RS6 which retails for $999.... so you really should only consider buying the S6 if you can get it for substantially less than $999... otherwise just get the RS6....

crash32
04-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks AJANI!

If I get the above speakers that people are recommending to me.....would they go well with the Onkyo 705? Would the Onkyo 705 be able to push these speakers and the sub (Paradigm PS-1200) enough or do I need to get an amp?

shokhead
04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
The sub will push it's self. Carpet, no carpet, drapes, windows, furniture all will make speakers sound different. It's hard to say yes or no to will this sound good with this. Go someplace that sells your receiver or one in the same ratings and listen to some speakers. Or try something like axiom speakers that you can return. I bet if you e-mail axiom with the size of your room, type of receiver and carpet or none and stuff like that they will suggest speakers. They are pretty helpful.

Ajani
04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks AJANI!

If I get the above speakers that people are recommending to me.....would they go well with the Onkyo 705? Would the Onkyo 705 be able to push these speakers and the sub (Paradigm PS-1200) enough or do I need to get an amp?

The Onkyo should have more than enough power to handle The Monitor Audio RS6 or even the PSB Image T55.... Both speakers have good sensitivity (meaning they don't need a lot of power to play loud)....

So my suggestion is to go out and audition them and pick whichever one you think sounds best...

homiedclown19
04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Used Vandersteen 2ce Signatures can be had for that money ...

That'll be your best bet, I think, of all the options listed thus far.

You would have to spend a lot more $$$ to better those.

aevans
04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60.html
might be the ticket