Loose connection help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Loose connection help

Over50revisited
03-07-2004, 07:41 AM
Where my sub cable is plugged into the back of my receiver I seem to have a bad connection I have to move the cable back and forth to get it to work. Tried a new cable but still the same problem. When I first had it hooked up the cable was a little sort and it seemed to pull on the receptacle where you plug the cable into. Did I damage the receptacle and if I did is their a quick fix.
Thanks

mtrycraft
03-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Where my sub cable is plugged into the back of my receiver I seem to have a bad connection I have to move the cable back and forth to get it to work. Tried a new cable but still the same problem. When I first had it hooked up the cable was a little sort and it seemed to pull on the receptacle where you plug the cable into. Did I damage the receptacle and if I did is their a quick fix.
Thanks

Maybe you can pull the top and inspect the plug from the inside. Maybe you can replace it, or have it fixed at a repair facility.

Haoleb
03-08-2004, 08:53 PM
depending on the type of jack inside the componet you might be able to fix it yourself if your handy, and dont have any warranty. its probbly either a bad solder joint or in the worst case a broken jack. if its a solder problem it would be very simple to fix yourself.

Marty01
03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
like the others have said, its the jack on the sub itself that needs fixin', if you feel up to it.. i would opt to change the jack itself, i doubt its just a loose wire because it does work when you jiggle the wire around.. you could also try bending the plug SLIGHTLY, to see if that puts enough preasure and makes a QUICK fix.. keep in mind you would want to fix it more permanently afterwards though.. but at least you wont hafta jiggle the wire every time you want some tunes :)

skeptic
03-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Here's something you can try that won't cost much and I'm not making any guarantees but you have nothing to lose. I am assuming that when you pulled on the cable and it was too short, you somehow bent the inside conductor of the jack (which you called the receptacle) inside your receiver. As I understand your posting, your problem is at the receiver end, not at the subwoofer end. I can understand why you don't want to take the receiver cover off especially if you don't feel too handy working inside it. Even if you are, this would be a pain in the neck. I am assuming that this is an RCA type cable. What I suggest you try is to make an extension by getting a female to female adaptor jack, probably about a buck or two and a cheap RCA connector cable. Or you could instead get a cheap female to male RCA cable, also about a buck or so. Gently crimp the inner round conductor pin on the male jack on one end with a large pair of pliers. This will flatten it making it out of round and it may fit snugly into the subwoofer output jack in the back of your receiver. If the first attempt doesn't work, flatten it a little more until it is snug. Good luck.