Duffy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Duffy

MindGoneHaywire
04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I saw a link to a polished vid on YouTube of a fairly commercial tune that I guess has been chosen as a first single from this singer's first album. I didn't think it was great (it's called Mercy, easy to search for on YouTube), but liked it enough to follow another link I saw.

The first song in this SXSW radio performance I like a lot more, it's grabbing me more & more each time I listen to it, & these days I don't hear a hell of a lot I want to go back to & listen & listen again. Forget to post about the new Nick Cave, but it's good...

...anyway, it's the first song she does in this 30 minute performance here, and her voice actually sounds better than it does on the actual recording, I think. I imagine at some point there'll be some comparisons to Amy Winehouse, and they won't be entirely ridiculous, but it's really two different things done by two very different people. But it's retro- something, I guess she recalls Lulu & maybe Dusty Springfield, that sort of thing. Me like. You are free to disagree.

The first song here, which I think is the title track from the rec, is called RockFerry.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb080314duffy

3-LockBox
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Definitely a voice you'd never connect to the person unless you saw it first hand. Kinda cackles here and there, but she is at least a different sound than the usual pablum. I like the retro feel, but you had to know with Whinehouse's success, this '60s style cabaret chanteuse thing was going to be cloned. Just like the young female singer/song writer/piano player thing recently has repeated itself a few times. But like I said, much more interesting than wheeling out the next Mariah Carey clone.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Duds
04-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Album comes out 5/13, titled "Rockferry"