I need some help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

luciousvolcano
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
I bought a (cringes) Audio Technica PL50 a couple years ago, simply because of the price, and also because I simply didn't know better. But now that my record collection is growing by leaps and bounds, with some pretty rare original presses ect., I now feel the need to step up into higher end audio equipment. There is a catch though. Money. I being 20 years old, and paying my way through a BA, I don't have all that much money to spare, but will spare it if i need...(who really needs to eat?). So I am seeking the advice of people who know more than I. What I am looking for is basically a great beginners set up, amp, turntable, speakers, the works. I don't want anything above and beyond, I will leave that for me to upgrade to when I get more money. Furthermore, even you just have some advice about what to look for, certain specs ect, I am all ears.
Thank you very much, and help me to throw away that piece of junk PL50.
Nate

noddin0ff
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Welcome, luciousv!

First step, bracket your total budget allowed, your sound priorities (2 channel/multichannel; type of listening -loud, headphones, music style, etc.) and the top flight team of AR consultants will get to work.

basite
04-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi, welcome to AR :)

A good setup is worth every penny, be it a beginners setup, or a high end one.

were there any things you had in mind already?
and what would your budget be? and do you mind buying used? sometimes you can do real deals buying used...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

luciousvolcano
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
i listen to a mish mash of music types, for singer songwriters to noise rock, sometimes i play it abit louder, but for the most part, it isnt very loud. I would prefer to stay around 1200$ in total (for right now). I have a decent pair of headphones, but i rarely use those. I would prefer a nice speaker system. I have no problem buying used, if it saves me money and is worth repairs or what have you I am all ears. I was looking at a turn table, project debut III, or a rega 2 (i think). Keep in mind i am open to just about anything, your the experts, not me (yet)

O'Shag
04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Hello there. I hope you don't mind, but I think I'll not say 'hello Lucious Volcano' as some people might get the wrong idea.:)

Speaker System KEF Reference 107 with matching KUBE - Bargain @ $1,500
Carver C4000T preamp - Bargain @ about $350 or so
Channel Islands Class D amp - a lot of sound for the money @ about $500
Oppo 981 (I think thats right??) - Bargain @ $200
Rega TT used w/RB250 tonearm - used @ $400
Stanton 881S MM cartridge - used @ $120
Monster Z-Systems or Audio Quest Interconnects and speaker cables - cheap used $200

$3,270

Sorry a bit high. But this will give you excellent service - as long as you make sure everything is in very good working condition. You could cut a few corners initially just to get the price down. For instance, you could wait on the cd/DVD player or the record player, according to your priorities. The speakers are the most important. The Reference 107 make many other speakers - even new ones sound like they are missing a lot of the music. The Carver is a workhorse and is superb value for the money it can be had for. Its a little on the warm side. Will sound a bit grainy compared to modern hi-end preamps, but it conveys the flow of the music exceedingly well. It is what we would call a very musical preamp. Rega makes very fine Turntables and the RB250 arm is something of a classic. The Rega and this arm will not be the best, but will sound very decent and musical. The Stanton, for $120 or so will give decent performance. Once you try moving coil though, you realize that the MM 881s is missing a lot of the music, and sounds a bit harsh and 'in-your-face' if you get my meaning.

JohnMichael
04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Now back to your budget. Check out www.audioadvisor.com for the following components. A turntable that would be good and fit within your budget and includes a cartridge would be the Rega P1 for $399.95. Two integrated amps that would be good for your budget is the NAD 315CBEE which is rated at 40 watts and costs $349.00 and the Cambridge Audio 340A for $329.00. My suggestion for speakers would be two highly regarded budget speakers The Epos ELS3 for $399.00 a pair and The PSB Alpha B1 for $279.00 a pair. Both speakers would work well in small rooms you might encounter attending college and would be easy to transport.

I have an older Rega Planar 2 and would recommend it if you can stretch the budget. You will also need the phono pre-amp unless you have one and Cambridge Audio and NAD make some good budget models. Good luck.

O'Shag
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Now back to your budget. Check out www.audioadvisor.com for the following components. A turntable that would be good and fit within your budget and includes a cartridge would be the Rega P1 for $399.95. Two integrated amps that would be good for your budget is the NAD 315CBEE which is rated at 40 watts and costs $349.00 and the Cambridge Audio 340A for $329.00. My suggestion for speakers would be two highly regarded budget speakers The Epos ELS3 for $399.00 a pair and The PSB Alpha B1 for $279.00 a pair. Both speakers would work well in small rooms you might encounter attending college and would be easy to transport.

I have an older Rega Planar 2 and would recommend it if you can stretch the budget. You will also need the phono pre-amp unless you have one and Cambridge Audio and NAD make some good budget models. Good luck.

Ok JohnMichael I get the message. In my favor I will add that the Carver has a built in phono preamp that'll sound much better than any receiver. It also has a first class headphone amp built in. Also, the system I put up is capable of reproducing music extremely well, far better than what you suggest I should think. Didn't Mr. Volcano say he would be prepared to go on a diet?.:cornut: :ihih:

JohnMichael
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Ok JohnMichael I get the message. In my favor I will add that the Carver has a built in phono preamp that'll sound much better than any receiver. It also has a first class headphone amp built in. Also, the system I put up is capable of reproducing music extremely well, far better than what you suggest I should think. Didn't Mr. Volcano say he would be prepared to go on a diet?.:cornut: :ihih:

I did not triple his budget because I did not want him to go hungry and drop out of school.:yikes:

O'Shag
04-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Your right of course.

Mr Peabody
04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
If you aren't opposed to used gear I intend to replace a system I have in my daughter's room with a pair of Audio Engine multi media speakers. Not that this will be an improvement but more of a practical, better piece for the job, type thing.

I have a Sansui AU-9500, a pair of Dynaudio Audience 40's, and even a Yamaha 5 disc changer. The AU-9500 is rated at 90x2 into 8 ohms and is an exceptional vintage integrated amp, it has built in phono stage which would work better than most entry level outboard stages, this unit is solid like a piece of test equipment, I personally was quite impressed with the sound and would place it on par with some Arcam integrated. Although in it's day there weren't many 4 ohm speakers, if any, it drives the Dyn's without a problem. I even had it driving my 60's for a while during my evaluation. The 40's are a dark charry and are a very good speaker with surprising bass response. If wanting to know more just email me from my CP.

blackraven
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's my list of speakers that are on sale at www.saturdayaudio.com that are very good-

Monitor Audio B2's onsale for $279 from $399
Monitor Audio S2's onsale for $449 from $799 (these would be my preference)

Turntable- Project Debut onsale for $299 from saturdayaudio

Receiver 2ch Harmon Kardon High Current 120wpc HK3485 on amazon.com for $249
This is a great deal on a high current 2ch receiver that has preamp out so if you want to upgrade in the future to a dedicated power amp you can use its preamp. With 30 amps of peak current it should be able to drive most speakers you throw at it including 4ohm. You can also look at the Onkyo 8522 100wpc. for about $220. I think the HK has a better amp.

Total = $449+$299+$249=$997 gets you a very good system for $1000 all brand new with $200 to spare for the oppo 980 universal player which is better for audio than the 981, which is better for video. Both play SACD. Or you can find the Marantz 5001 cdp for under $300.

This would be a great system for some one on a budget. The speakers are the real jewel here. The S2's should have great bass for a bookshelf with a 7" woofer. I have the S1's and they are a great little speaker with suprisingly deep bass and big sound for a small speaker. Build quality is excelent with a real wood veneer cabinet. I wish I had bought the S2's at the time but they were sold out, now I'm thinking about selling my S1's and buying the S2's.

At this price range you could do alot worse and not a whole lot better.