newbie about floorstand speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie about floorstand speakers

mike288
04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
greetings to all :smilewinkgrin:

im a newbie when it comes to home audio, i have however found a couple of vintage

speakers here @ home. These are the pioneer CS-605, and i would just like to start

by using the Dared Mp5 as the amp. Any inputs about the speakers and the amp, thanks

in advance guys :cornut:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/mike288/csg/Pioneer_CS-605_web.jpg

specs: 150 watts max.

4 way speakers, horn, midrange, midbass, 15 inch woofer.

sensitivity: 96db 1 watt/meter

they are in excellent condition, never abused, used a marantz amp, played at

very low volume (my dad) :19: :19: :19: :19:

Dared Mp5: 13 watts x 2.

i am still planning to buy the amp.

im kinda new as mentioned and i dont want to waste my money by buying an amp

that cant drive these speakers.

thank you so much.

Mr Peabody
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, your speakers have a sensitivity of 96 dB which is above average, this means they won't take much power to play at normal listening or to get loud. So they would be perfect for a low power tube amp.

I have not heard Dared myself but the reports I've heard weren't very favorable, for what that's worth. Some optional tube gear that's more proven in the market is Jolida, Cayin, Prima Luna and the Antique Sound Labs (ASL) seems to do pretty well, I know they have some SET amps. www.amusicdirect.com carries a budget tube line built by Cary Audio that may be worth looking into, I think it's called Audio Electronics. If you've tried the Dared and like it be sure to post something so I can have some positive input.

mike288
04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks so much sir, will go back to the drawing board and analyze other reviews of the MP5.

anyone heard the Mp5?

mike288
04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
id also like to ask for some inputs regarding the pioneer 7030 cd player once again i have

found them at home with a marantz phono player im really excited to put these together

any inputs guys thanks again.

Mr Peabody
04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Pioneer isn't what I think of when I think CD playback but if it's an Elite if might be alright. I didn't find much info on it. If it's several years old you might want to keep your eye out for an upgrade. Digital playback has had a steady evolution over the years.

jrhymeammo
04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Pioneer PD-7030 looks like it was made around late 80's or early 90's.

If it spins, then you can certainly use it to enjoy your CS-605.
If it makes beautiful and exciting music, then there is no need to reconsider 7030's Sound quality. But as Mr. P said, digital gears have come a long way since 1983....