Getting DVDs from the public library... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting DVDs from the public library...

Gerald Cooperberg
04-18-2008, 10:13 PM
...is totally great. I support local video stores when I can, but I can consume way more voraciously than my budget allows by wandering downtown to the Central Library. They've got a pretty stunning selection, and my library allows me to put requests in a 'queue' Netflix-stylee so that I have a chance at getting more popular titles set aside for me. I've gotten in the habit of getting four or five a week, then exchanging them for whatever's sitting on my request shelf a week later when I bring them back. Just recently I've been able to see the new-release doc Darkon, Milos Forman's Loves of a Blonde, a great Cuban film called Who the Hell is Juliette?, and a PBS documentary on Dmitri Shostakovich, among many others. Thanks public library! I loves ya!

-Coop

Worf101
04-21-2008, 04:55 AM
Public Libraries are an underused resource for great films. When BlockBuster goes under (which may be any friggin' minute) the local library will be it for rentals. Hollywood video just went under in my neck of da woods.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
04-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Should I cancel my "Total Access" subscription at Blockbuster Worf?

Worf101
04-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Should I cancel my "Total Access" subscription at Blockbuster Worf?
The online version of BB may last for a while but the Brick and Mortar side of the business is on it's last legs. Simple as that.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
04-22-2008, 04:55 AM
A Blockbuster store in Dallas has become a Blockbuster "Media" store. Haven't visited it yet, but I wonder what makes it different...

Worf101
04-23-2008, 04:20 AM
A Blockbuster store in Dallas has become a Blockbuster "Media" store. Haven't visited it yet, but I wonder what makes it different...
Probably means they're selling records and CD's and some games as well. Trying to be like FYE as opposed to BB.

Da Worfster

nightflier
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
...is totally great. I support local video stores when I can, but I can consume way more voraciously than my budget allows by wandering downtown to the Central Library. They've got a pretty stunning selection, and my library allows me to put requests in a 'queue' Netflix-stylee so that I have a chance at getting more popular titles set aside for me. I've gotten in the habit of getting four or five a week, then exchanging them for whatever's sitting on my request shelf a week later when I bring them back. Just recently I've been able to see the new-release doc Darkon, Milos Forman's Loves of a Blonde, a great Cuban film called Who the Hell is Juliette?, and a PBS documentary on Dmitri Shostakovich, among many others. Thanks public library! I loves ya!

-Coop

Public library? What's that? Didn't the Bush Administration outlaw those and made churches out of them? I haven't seen an open public library in some time.... Glad yours still survives.