Opinions on trading speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on trading speakers

kakerlak
04-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi, I'm getting rid of my DDQ-10s, whci I LOVE, but are just too gigantic for my house. I've had some interesting trade offers for speakers I've never actually listened to in person and wanted to gather some opinions. Here's what I've been offered:

1. Klipsch Heresys
2. Klipsch Heresy IIs
3. JBL 4311Bs
4. Spica TC-50s

These will be going into a small room with a lot of furniture and used primarily for vinyl. Which speakers do you think are the best of these four?

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi kakerlak i would try and listen to them first before picking you can never go rong that way .ive never heard them so i caint really preach wich is the best one i know alot of people on hear like klipsch speakers so they could be the better opion i think the Klipsch Heresy IIs would be the best but like i said go and try to listen to them first and let me know thank you sgt bass08.

kakerlak
04-18-2008, 08:05 AM
-Sorry for the typos. At work, typing too fast. By "DDQ-10s," I meant Dahlquist DQ-10s.

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
-Sorry for the typos. At work, typing too fast. By "DDQ-10s," I meant Dahlquist DQ-10s.

no worries m8 :thumbsup:

mlsstl
04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I've not heard the Spica so can't comment on those, but Klipsch and JBL as replacements for Dahlquist?

Other than the fact that they are all "speakers" they have almost nothing else in common.

Is there a reason your choices are limited to these? Instead of trading, why not just sell the DQ10s outright and then free yourself to buy replacements from a much wider selection of speakers? The Dahlquist have a pretty good cult following so I wouldn't think them hard to sell.

E-Stat
04-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Which speakers do you think are the best of these four?
That's a pretty wide range of speaker flavors. If you are seeking to replicate the Dahlquist neutrality, then neither Klipsch nor JBL is going to make you happy. The fifty year old Klipsch horn design is a bit honky sounding in the midrange to these ears. The JBL was known as a great rock n' roll speaker with its midbass hump and elevated lower highs. Both are efficient, but are decidedly colored in their own ways. You may or may not like the result. A pair of Advents would be a closer match to the more neutral DQ-10 sound than these.

I've not heard the Spica but understand them to be accurate stand mounted monitors that require careful placement.

rw

kakerlak
04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
I've got the DQs on Craiglsist, but have only gotten trade offers so far... They're so heavy that I don't really want to put them on eBay and mess with shipping.

To my ears, the DQs sound pretty neutral, very clear and dynamic, with great separation. I'd like to get something similar, but realize that may be hard to do in a speaker both considerably smaller and of equivalent cost. I'm a bit skeptical of the Klipsch's use of horns for both mid and hi and fear the JBLs might be a bit muddy. I have no idea what to expect of the Spicas, but the person offering them claims they have "upgraded" crossovers, whatever that might mean...

JohnMichael
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
IMHO the Spica TC 50's would be closest in sound quality. They did not hold up well to loud volumes and were known for blown drivers. They are not a party speaker. E-Stat is correct that placement is important. Jon Bau the designer of the speaker set the tweeter level for the off axis output of the dome and not just the on axis. You would not want to listen to them directly on axis. I think the suggested position was with the woofer/midrange on axis with the ear. On tweeter axis they would sound bright and thin.

kakerlak
04-20-2008, 09:49 AM
OK, today I have been offered:

1) Advent Maestros
2) JBL L-7s

Still no cash offers, yet. Think the Advents might be the way to go out of all these?

GageAnstey
04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Aren't Klipsch white van?

basite
04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Aren't Klipsch white van?

no, that's Kirsch (or whatever the name was...)

Klipsch is exactly the opposite: they're a legend.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GageAnstey
04-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Ah, like DiVinci and DaVinci.