A connection question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A connection question

jchloupek@yahoo.com
04-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to AudioReview, so pardon me if this is not the proper forum for this question. I have purchased a Yamaha RX-797 receiver and will be using an Aphex 204 Aural Exciter & Big Bottom processor instead of a graphic equalizer I've been using with my old receiver. My question is how precisely to hookup the Aphex 204 to the RX-797 so as to "process" the sound coming from either the receiver's radio stations or a CD player, depending on function in use at the time. Since the 204 has an "in/out" for both the exciter and big bottom I'm somewhat flummoxed as to how to properly cable-to-cable from each device-what specific cables and/or adaptors do I need? A forum member named "Fingerprick" mentioned owning the RX-797 and Aphex 204 and successfully using both to create excellent sounds so I know it can be done. Assume my ignorance when making any suggestions on this subject-I will not be offended. Thanks!
JRC

Mr Peabody
05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
The 797 has a sub out, assuming that's what the "Big Bottom" is for, run the "sub out" into the Big Bottom input and back out of the BB into your sub. The "Oral Exciter" would either have to be hooked up to a tape monitor loop or in the path of preamp ins & outs of the receiver. I couldn't see mention of preamp ins/outs on the 797 but it does have a Zone 2 output that doubles as a "record out", I'd hope there was also a "record in" for monitoring purpose, these connections should work for the Oral Exciter.

I'm not familiar with your processors but these general connections should work.

markw
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Looking at a spec sheet on the Yammie site, while the the receiver does not appear to have a tape monitor (I miss those things), it DOES appear to have a pre out/main capabilities. I would suggest connecting the Oral Exciter (I DO love that name) between these two. This way, anyhing going to your main speakers will go through it.

As for that big-ass bass thingie, I have no idea what it does. If it's a line level device I guess it would be inserted between the LFE/sub output and the powered subwoofer. Don't be surprised if it overtaxes the subwoofer amp, though.

If you're NOT going to be using a subwoofer and decide to conenct in series with the exciter by utilizing it's out/in loops, remember that whichever comes second will be operating with the output of the previous device. It sounds like the output of the exciter may be going through the big-ass bass thingie, or vice versa. Who knows? You've got the manuals, not us.

Owing to the cumulitive effect of this signal manipulation, it may or may not sound good. Your guess is as good as mine.

jchloupek@yahoo.com
07-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I eventually figured out that I needed to get dual connectors to run from the Aphex's two channels to the pre-in/main-out of the RX-797. I must say that the sound produced from the combo of the Aphex, RX-797, and Beta 50s was beyond fantastic-wonderful lows & airy "presence" that these 50 year-old ears appreciate in listening to the loud(er) spectrum of music. For the price I can't imagine a better setup if guitar-based rock is one's music of choice. Enjoy.

bobsticks
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Man, I had an old Aphex that I used with a GK head into some Laney cabs...really did the job and was nice I thought, until I heard it with a 70's plexi Marshall.Just too sweet. That, of course, was before the days of the Eventide Harmonizer...

Welcome to the forum.

3-LockBox
07-11-2008, 06:04 PM
We're talkin about an all in one unit fellas, not two seperate ones.

http://www.aphex.com/204.htm

The Big Bottom processing section, from what I've read (googled) is part of the Aphex 204's functioning, along with the Aural Exciter section. And yes, it does what it says, enhances the bottom end.

If you run a sub with this, it'll prolly be redundant, and it may overdrive a sub amp (maybe). But be sure to read your owners manual for complete details. I think this type of equipment is used mostly in the PA/DJ world, where subs aren't usually used. If you're going for the 'live feel' thingy, you may want to eschew the use of sub anyway, or if you do use one, make sure to play it on its lowest frequency setting (my opinion of course - everyone's tastes are different).

edit:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/aphex-204-big-bottom-7-2004.html

I just read this article, attached to the link above, and looking at the back of this unit I see no RCA i/o, so you're going to have buy adapters, unless this receiver of yours has these kind of connections.