NEWB question about connecting speakers.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NEWB question about connecting speakers..

metalcraze
03-06-2004, 11:43 PM
hi, I just found this site and i already like it

I have couple questions, which may have nothing to do with speakers

first of all, say I have several speakers including subwoofers.

Please remember that I have no knowledge whatsoever, and I am sorry for being so stupid

but how do I connect all those speakers, oh say about 7 or more, to receiver or CD player? Is there a device to connect all the speakers? Is there a limit to how many speakers you can connect to?

I have no idea how receiver works, and I have no knowldege on cable or connectors, so I am really confused. All the different speakers seem to have different cable or connector, so I was wondering how connecting speakers work.

Thank you, and I apologize again for being so unclear and STUPID.....

Geoffcin
03-07-2004, 08:20 AM
hi, I just found this site and i already like it

I have couple questions, which may have nothing to do with speakers

first of all, say I have several speakers including subwoofers.

Please remember that I have no knowledge whatsoever, and I am sorry for being so stupid

but how do I connect all those speakers, oh say about 7 or more, to receiver or CD player? Is there a device to connect all the speakers? Is there a limit to how many speakers you can connect to?

I have no idea how receiver works, and I have no knowldege on cable or connectors, so I am really confused. All the different speakers seem to have different cable or connector, so I was wondering how connecting speakers work.

Thank you, and I apologize again for being so unclear and STUPID.....

Nothing to apologize for. When you buy a receiver it will have posts in the back where you attach the speaker wires. The will be marked as to wich speaker they go to. Once you hook up the speaker wires to the receiver you run the wires to your speakers. You'll hook your CD player to your receiver with RCA type jacks. Then you can turn on your receiver and play music!

My advise is you go to a Best Buy, Circut City, or other some such store and ask a salesman to show you how it's done. Remember you don't have to buy anything!