HDMI connections [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI connections

Ace H
04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm awaiting delivery of my Yamaha RX-V861. I have a Panasonic DMR EH55 DVD Recorder with HDMI OUT. My TV does NOT have HDMI connections. Would I see a picture improvement (over regular component video conneciton quality) if I ran HDMI from the DVD Recorder to the RX-V861 Receiver and from the receiver connect to my TV with Component Video as my TV doe NOT have HDMI connections? The RX-V861 claims to do upscaling. Would this give me a slightly better picture quality than regular component video given the claim of UPSCALING?

markw
04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I know some receivers can UPconvert from component to HDMI, but ffrankly, I'n not too sure receivers can DOWNconvert from HDMI to component. You may have to stick to component across the board, which won't degrade performance anyway.

Of course, i could always be wrong. RTFM.

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2008, 05:06 AM
My Yamaha receiver won't down convert from HDMI, and I'm not aware of any that will. I'm sure your DVD recorder has component or S-Video out, so if you want the receiver in the picture you'd use those connections.

And I think RTFM means Read The ______ Manual. That's Mark's way of telling you he likes you. :smilewinkgrin:

f0rge
04-18-2008, 06:53 AM
X3 on the receiver not being able to downconvert from HDMI to component

PDN
04-21-2008, 06:08 PM
What I don't understand is what source components are folks plugging into the HDMI inputs on their a-v receivers and then running cable to their TVs? If it's mostly DVD players, why go through the a-v receiver when you can connect a DVD player with an HDMI output directly into the back of the TV to its HDMI input? What's all the fuss over HDMI scaling for video? You can buy a $200.00 DVD player today with an HDMI output circuit and plug it directly into the LCD or Plasma TV's HDMI input connection. The picture couldn't look any better!!

pixelthis
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
What I don't understand is what source components are folks plugging into the HDMI inputs on their a-v receivers and then running cable to their TVs? If it's mostly DVD players, why go through the a-v receiver when you can connect a DVD player with an HDMI output directly into the back of the TV to its HDMI input? What's all the fuss over HDMI scaling for video? You can buy a $200.00 DVD player today with an HDMI output circuit and plug it directly into the LCD or Plasma TV's HDMI input connection. The picture couldn't look any better!!

I agree, but this person doesnt have HDMI on his set, that is the point.
I have heard that HDMI has wider bandwidth than component, dont know for sure,
but I do know that it beats the pants off of component.
Part of this is component being analog, a digital signal has to go through two conversions
BEFORE IT HITS YOUR SCREEN, ITS A DIRECT DIGITAL FEED THROUGH HDMI.
I have A-B'ed both connections, the differences arent hype, HDMI is better.
More than likely your receiver wont take the digital HDMI and convert it to analog,
even if it did you would have a digital'/analog conversion, which would kinda defeat the purpose of HDMI :1:

shokhead
04-22-2008, 06:04 AM
I've done HDMI and component from my Direct HD receiver. No difference. I do run my DVD player's HDMI to my tv and the Denon Link to my receiver.

f0rge
04-23-2008, 05:12 PM

well i have 3 things that use HDMI and my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, so it works like a switcher

also newer bluray sound formats (dolby trueHD and DTS:MA) can only be output via HDMI, if i went straight to my TV there would be no way to get the soundtrack to my receiver

N. Abstentia
04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
What I don't understand is what source components are folks plugging into the HDMI inputs on their a-v receivers and then running cable to their TVs?

Multiple HDMI sources into the a/v receiver, one single cable back out to the TV (many of which have only a single HDMI port). All switching is done by the receiver.

kexodusc
04-30-2008, 11:20 AM
A lot of receivers will do some forms of upscaling through HDMI as well, could be some pic quality benefits if the receiver has this feature.