Badmotorfinger [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Badmotorfinger

noddin0ff
04-17-2008, 04:30 AM
I think I owned this Soundgarden album for years before I even listened to it. I think I picked it up becuase I kinda sorta liked the track I heard on an early compilation CD from Sub Pop label (Sub Pop 200) .

But every time Badmotorfinger comes off the shelve the more I like it. So, my question for the music horses, "Is there a recommendation out there for something similar that is this good?" (Even if its another Soundgarden album, I only have one). I think this is a pretty high bar- Rusty Cage, Outshined, Slaves and Bulldozers, Searching With MyGood Eye Closed... I do have a Mudhoney which just falls short a bit (EGBDF).

For you collectors..

Soundgarden: Sub Pop Rock City from Sub Pop 200 (flac) (http://www.mediafire.com/?csomnctfg2l)

Duds
04-17-2008, 05:26 AM
Hmmmm, that is a great album indeed.

Do you have the first Alice In chains cd, "Facelift" great great disc.

How about some Corrosion of Conformity?

I think I owned this Soundgarden album for years before I even listened to it. I think it up becuase I kinda sorta liked the track I heard on an early compilation CD from Sub Pop label (Sub Pop 200) .

But every time Badmotorfinger comes off the shelve the more I like it. So, my question for the music horses, "Is there a recommendation out there for something similar that is this good?" (Even if its another Soundgarden album, I only have one). I think this is a pretty high bar- Rusty Cage, Outshined, Slaves and Bulldozers, Searching With MyGood Eye Closed... I do have a Mudhoney which just falls short a bit (EGBDF).

For you collectors..

Soundgarden: Sub Pop Rock City from Sub Pop 200 (flac) (http://www.mediafire.com/?csomnctfg2l)

JohnMichael
04-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Godsmack's "Awake"

Sick of Life, Bad Magick are two of my favorites.

nobody
04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
That's by far my favorite Soundgarden album. You may like their Louder Than Love album too though. Personally, I never cared much for their post-Badmotorfinger stuff. I think Spoonman turned me off 'em. And, yeah Alice In Chains is a similar group. I'd suggest either Dirt or their self-titled one. Another one in the grungy kinda stuff would be Mudhoney. They have a CD called SUperfuzzbifmuff and early singles that collect some good singles with their first EP that's really great in a loud and heavy guitar focused sleazy kinda way. Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More is just evil goodness.

Slosh
04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm upping a little sampler that I'll link to soon as it's ready. Be warned though: they do so enjoy their noisy freak-outs but the "real" songs are so good I'm willing to overlook that and just rip the ones I like. The two latest albums don't have any of that studio experimentation wankery, however, but their best stuff is from the early 90's (Houdini and Stoner Witch.) In fact I'm listening to their new leaked album right this very minute :)

edit - linky:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jd1yhjzj2xn

NP:

3-LockBox
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Pearl Jam - 10 and Vs
Nirvana - Nevermind and Bleach
Stone Temple Pilots first couple of albums.

And I liked SG's Superunknown album, but if you can, try to find their Ultramega OK album (their debut, I believe). Very raw and angry and chugging rythm section - imagine if Iggy Pop fronted Black Sabbath.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Slosh
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
And I liked SG's Superunknown album, but if you can, try to find their Ultramega OK album (their debut, I believe). Very raw and angry and chugging rythm section - imagine if Iggy Pop fronted Black Sabbath.

Actually they have a couple of earlier EPs that are now sold as a single CD called Screaming Life/FOPP. Like Ultramega OK it's much more punky than their Louder Than Love and newer albums.

Slosh
04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
This too, although it's really more like Pearl Jam with Chris Cornell on vox.

noddin0ff
04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Great input all. I've got Pearl Jam (particularly Vs.) and Nirvana covered. Sampled a few micro-clips on the web. Godsmack has a good sound. I'm kinda picky thematically. I don't go for angry-at-the-world-nihilist-hate-you-all, but I'm Ok with self-loathing-addiction-gotta-escape-internal-angst-rage.

Couple new-to-me's in there. Downloading Melvins, gotta follow up on CofC. Mudhoney potential, but I almost never listen to the one I have so I'm leery.

rob7
04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
I like Ultramega Ok better than Louder Than Love. Beyond the Wheel (track 4) is awesome. Raw Soundgarden. Superunknown is worth a listen, as well. 4th of July and Mailman are great tunes.

I like Armored Saint as well. Fronted by John Bush who fronted Anthrax for several years. More 'power metal' than SG, but not glammy. Gets the blood pumping.

Duds
04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Check out Kyuss, Monster Magnet, and Clutch as well