Expressing Love for Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Expressing Love for Music

O'Shag
04-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Concerning the recent poll, asking 'what music do you listen to, initiated by the right honorable gentleman Mr Blackraven, called by LuvinDaBlues the Ebony Crow LOL :14: , There were many responses, and one caught my eye immediately as a wonderfully expressed feeling that is somewhat remaniscent of how I would have expressed it in my teens and twenties.

Audio Amateur cited Trance/Rave/Ambient as music he really enjoys listening to, because it feels like flying. This feeling really hits home. I can remember (and still do from time to time) having this feeling when listening to music that touches the emotions. The feeling of flying in space, of spiritual energy.

I like trance/rave/ambient also. It can oft-times be repetitive, not interesting, downright boring or just plain awful, but sometimes a piece of this music is magic, and just rockets you to another place. It may not be full of meaning in the normal sense, but can send the spirit soaring non-the-less. Its not only this form of music that does this; so many wonderful pieces of Classical music can send one into orbit too. I never forget when in my early twenties, drivnig my much younger sister somewhere. Beethoven's 9th Symphony came on the radio. We were both almost in tears by the time I dropped her off, such is the emotional impact of that music (my sister is now a rising star as a classical violin soloist in Europe). I still get seriously moved when listening to Bach's concertos, such as the works for two pianos, or the Brandenburg. This can get me soaring into space. Or Gustav Holst's The Planets can be immensely moving. How about Wagner's Ring Cycle?

Just thought it might be interesting to learn what others have experienced in terms of feelings or the emotional impact some pieces of music have or have had on you at some point when you listen/have listened?

aevans
04-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Orbital is by far the most moving music for me. They were more composers the any other electronica group I've experienced. I will only list one song, they have a ton of material 90% of it is worthy to fit this thread, this one I think is a step above.

Style: from the middle of nowhere album(also called the white album) Created with samples pulled from video poker machines that come alive into a beautiful symphony of sound that overwhelm your senses.

I can only see in black and white for the last 3 minutes of this track.. I think that about covers the emotional and moves into metaphysical.

blackraven
04-17-2008, 10:07 AM
I just bought a CD from Patricia Barber called Cafe Blue. When I put this on at night with lights off it relaxes me to the point of closing out everything around me.

O'Shag
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Ev, Orbital? The sound of video poker machines sounds very intriguing. I always notice when going into a huge room full of slot machines in Vegas the almost mesmerising and compelling sound of thousands of these machines 'singing' at once. It sounds quite beautiful in a way. I'll have to check this out.

BlackRaven, Patricia Barber is excellent. I very much enjoy listening to her CDs also. When I put on a record of Mose Allison live at the Lighthouse (in the 1960s), I experience the same feeling I get when sitting having a cocktail at a live gig. It's greatly relaxing and exhilerating at the same time. I also get engrossed when listening to Wes Mongomery and Friends (George Shearing and Milt Jackson). George Shearing has such a wonderful touch on the piano, but for sheer sparkle Oscar Petersen is electrifying. I guess the feeling is different when I listen to Jazz than some Classical or Trance/electronica music, which can be sometimes 'trancending' - I don't know if thats the right word??.

blackraven
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
O'Shag, thanks for the tip on Oscar Peterson. I just listened to his album "Finest Hour" its awesome. Its right up my alley for Jazz. I'll be ordering it later today!

O'Shag
04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Great BlackRaven, I guarantee you'll get addicted to Oscar's sound after listening for a while. Look for a series of albums called 'Exclusively for My friends', and there are a few volumes on seperate CDs. I picked up 'Volume 1 - Action' on ebay. It was an SACD version and I think it cost me only $8 plus $3 folr shipping. Only $11 for an album that has given me so much pleasure for the past few years. Its so good I could listen to it practically every evening. I've definitely worn it out. If you can, get a hybrid disc which contains the CD layer and an SACD layer. It is only stereo SACD though. Its interesting to compare the performance of the SACD layer against the CD. I have a very good DAC and decent transport, so they maximize the performance of the CD. With this front end the CD version comes close. But when I spin the SACD on the Denon 3910, the SACD layer has that extra bit of sparkle, that little bit extra in terms of presence.

blackraven
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I bought his CD at Borders earlier this evening. The Finest Hour CD is very good although the recording quality is not up to par on some songs, but it was recorded in the 1970s. Its still very good.
He kind of reminds me a little of Bill Evans. Speaking of Bill, I'm ordering his SACD from a live 1960s recording called a Waltz For Debby.

And for any one interested, I also bought a tribute CD by Tom Scott, Steve Gadd and other well known Jazz artists to Cannonball Adderley called "Cannon-Reloaded" and its excellent.

audio amateur
04-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Concerning the recent poll, asking 'what music do you listen to, initiated by the right honorable gentleman Mr Blackraven, called by LuvinDaBlues the Ebony Crow LOL :14: , There were many responses, and one caught my eye immediately as a wonderfully expressed feeling that is somewhat remaniscent of how I would have expressed it in my teens and twenties.

Audio Amateur cited Trance/Rave/Ambient as music he really enjoys listening to, because it feels like flying. This feeling really hits home. I can remember (and still do from time to time) having this feeling when listening to music that touches the emotions. The feeling of flying in space, of spiritual energy.

I like trance/rave/ambient also. It can oft-times be repetitive, not interesting, downright boring or just plain awful, but sometimes a piece of this music is magic, and just rockets you to another place. It may not be full of meaning in the normal sense, but can send the spirit soaring non-the-less. Its not only this form of music that does this; so many wonderful pieces of Classical music can send one into orbit too. I never forget when in my early twenties, drivnig my much younger sister somewhere. Beethoven's 9th Symphony came on the radio. We were both almost in tears by the time I dropped her off, such is the emotional impact of that music (my sister is now a rising star as a classical violin soloist in Europe). I still get seriously moved when listening to Bach's concertos, such as the works for two pianos, or the Brandenburg. This can get me soaring into space. Or Gustav Holst's The Planets can be immensely moving. How about Wagner's Ring Cycle?

Just thought it might be interesting to learn what others have experienced in terms of feelings or the emotional impact some pieces of music have or have had on you at some point when you listen/have listened?
Looks like you're a talented bunch:thumbsup:
I didn't express myself very well in the other thread, but you seemed to have gotten the idea. I do attach lots of feeling to certain pieces, however these feelings are often nostalgia more than anything. If I don't have a concrete element or time in my life which I can relate the song to, it's hard to drift off. So pieces that I attach any emotion to are those who make me nostlagic. However, it's not all nostalgia.
For example, Xpander, by Sasha (especially the radio edit). It's a trance classic and can really 'lift the soul', for my part. It's part of the soundtrack on the Wipeout 3 playstation game, which is how I got to know it. I've heard it hundreds of times and I still love it. I can drift off every time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAJAIxaV7a8&feature=related

Oh, another one I absolutely adore, is Suite Bergamesque-Clair de lune (or Moonlight I guess in english), by Debussy. It's hard to describe feeling but it's pretty fuzzy when I listen to that one, especially in some parts.. Definitely not the same feeling as Xpander though. My sister used to play it when I was a kid too.
Many pieces from Final Fantasy VII (playstation) I love aswell because I tie them with the times when I used to play the game.
And then some pieces simply give me goosebumps because they are so good. But that's probably universal.

OzzieAudiophile
04-18-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm sure none of you guys have heard of this CD from :

Blue Stone - Breathe. The first track is called Confession. It is quite an emotional
track, it's a track you would want to play loud. It has singing, a melodic piano, some
strong percussion. The ending is quite peaceful and if you're a fan of piano, it's subtle,
but relaxing.

Wait till you hear the end of the track, and how to turns into the second track.
Nothing like you would of before.

O'Shag
04-18-2008, 09:35 AM
BlackRaven, thats the problem with some CDs. You may get poor recording quality on one or two tracks. Exclusively for my friends is all recorded live at a jazz club in front of an audience, so there is no editing. Even though one of the microphone amplifiers they used distorts in one or two instances, the whole recording brings you to the space - its good, I do think the SACD version is a wee bit better.

Bill Evans is first rate. He has a slightly different style than Oscar, but is still one of the greatest and most influential artists in Jazz. He has a wonderful touch on the piano. I still have yet to buy the famous live recording he made with his trio on Sunday afternoon. I have a few of his records that I've burned from vinyl onto CD-R.

Hi AA, thanks for the attachment to Xpander. Your right. Many times a certain piece of music will move me because it is connected to a memory. Last night my son put on some CDs on my system and skipped over one track because it reminded him too much of an ex-girlfriend he had to let go (she was beautiful looking but weird) - music can indeed elicit deep emotional response. I'll check out the other titles you mention.

G'day Bruce. Hows it going Oz! I've never heard of Blue Stone before. Are they an Aussie band? A few of the Aussie bands I love are Midnight Oil, Crowded House, Men-at-Work and Icehouse. I'll have to look for blue stone and listen on the headphones the next time I'm perusing the record store.