Who left the door open? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who left the door open?

jasn
04-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?

Is anybody here? here? here? here?

Wow, not a single post in like 17 hours. How is a lurker like me supposed to lurk if there isn't anything to read?

That this part of the forum is under utilized is really a shame. I visit and contribute to several other sites regularly, both audio/video and music related, and at times I find them either too techie, too much about movies, or too crowded. (Keeping up with a 12 page thread dissecting a classic rock band's releases album by album doesn't do it for me). There's something about this place that seems just the right size for some meaningful music-only topics, but most of them never seem to grow or maintain. For the longest time I stop by, read the few new posts, and head off to someplace else, where I'm much more inclined to respond to a topic. I'm not really sure why I don't stay here and try to leave a mark.

This place goes way back for me, even before the "New" software, so I always like to stop by and see what the ten or so regulars are blabbing about. Even they are quiet lately, but I know many of their names as also being "old-timers".

I need only look to my own lack of contribution as a part of the problem, I know, so I'll try harder to pipe in more often, even if it's some of those little snarky emoticons or just an acknowledgment to someone that starts a thread about their favorite new find.

With that said, I'll be away starting tomorrow for a week [shrugs], but I plan to come back and be a bigger part of the place.

Thx,

jasn

nobody
04-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Really is a shame this place ain't used more. Of all the places I've seen it really does a great job of sticking to music talk and not turning into a shouting match or anything. Traffic's just been down these days. Need more new blood I guess.

ForeverAutumn
04-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks for promising to contribute and then leaving. :smilewinkgrin:

I'm looking forward to your contributions when you return. I hope you're going someplace fun for the week. Cheers!

ForeverAutumn
04-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Really is a shame this place ain't used more. Of all the places I've seen it really does a great job of sticking to music talk and not turning into a shouting match or anything. Traffic's just been down these days. Need more new blood I guess.

Hmmmm. When we want to increase traffic to our web site at work, we have a contest. Maybe we could have some sort of contest with a prize to lure in some new blood. The prize could be a collection of Finch's comps.

Then again, maybe not.

jasn
04-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for promising to contribute and then leaving. :smilewinkgrin:

I'm looking forward to your contributions when you return. I hope you're going someplace fun for the week. Cheers!

Yeah...I felt the need for full disclosure on my being away, and yes it is for (warm weather) fun. But I felt the urge to get the thread out here and didn't want to wait till I came back. It's not till tomorrow anyway so I'll try to make good until then. :)

nobody
04-16-2008, 08:32 AM
The prize could be a collection of Finch's comps.

The idea was to get people to come here not to leave.

Davey
04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Yea, it's always been a pretty unique group of goofballs here (well, except for me), old enough for a good sense of perspective, but open-minded and adventurous enough to still be on the prowl for a new fix. And not as quick to jump on the hype train as at a lot of indie-centric sites, nor as quick to dismiss someone when they get more than a handful of fans either. Good mix of friendly folks, and maybe that's the problem, not enough heated name-calling profanity-laden mean-spirited arguments to keep it interesting? Probably should have more topics about classic records that almost everyone knows, or just more topics that are easy to contribute something. But it does get to a point where there just aren't enough regular posters to maintain a flow of traffic, people stop by and make a post or two, but get no response, so don't stop by again. So stays about the same, just a small club, too much inbreeding, we're all kind of related now. Surprising how long it's been this way, check the date in the thread below :)

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EE8DF9B.php

Note: to read archive in Firefox it's best to set View -> Page Style -> No Style

Maybe we can have a big running group review when the new Portishead record officially comes out in a couple weeks. Everybody likes them some Portishead, right?

jasn
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, 2001. I know this is not the first thread here to b*tch about the slow pace . I lurked on that one too.

Edit: Had to delete the little wink smiley because it gets kissy too. I can do without that.

Hyfi
04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
I lurk more than post myself but only because most people posting here listen to music I don't. When I do post, I just get Sympathy Clicks.

The main problem with this site is the software. If the topic does not move me, I do not attempt to follow the thread. It just takes too much time to plow through it all when Like AA, you can still see the whole conversation and join in where it makes sense.

So, is anyone going to see King Crimsom this tour? I already got my tickets but it's not till August.

Swish
04-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Hmmmm. When we want to increase traffic to our web site at work, we have a contest. Maybe we could have some sort of contest with a prize to lure in some new blood. The prize could be a collection of Finch's comps.

Then again, maybe not.

he he. I said 'booby'.

Swish

Jim Clark
04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey cool, I can post about not having any posts!

I've noticed that sadly, it's not just a RR phenomenon, it's site wide. Occasionally I'll get bored and visit the HT forum, which is where I started out so many years ago. You think this forum is slow, that sucker is DEAD. Ditto for Speakers forum, which is really the only other I really visited with any regularity.

There is some dood in the general forum trying to get things going, and I'll give him credit for that. Can't even imagine how bad the vintage and DIY forums are now.

jc

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I got soooooooooooooooo much to contribute here but I'll probably just piss off the old guard so I'll bite my tongue and come back when I can be more civil.

Led Zep Rules!!!

Whoops. I slipped a little. :o

nobody
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I am looking forward to that Portishead.

And, I personally have no problem with your thinking Led Zep rules as long as you have no problem with my thinking they suck...different strokes and all.

audio amateur
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe we can have a big running group review when the new Portishead record officially comes out in a couple weeks. Everybody likes them some Portishead, right?
Glad you mention it! can't wait to hear it!!:D

3-LockBox
04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Its because we kicked Yech out

j/k

I visit the Fave Films forum as well and this place is a party compared to that forum.

Over at Progressive Ears, we get a ton more posts, but unfortunately, arguing is some of those guys main hobby. Someone will post, what do you think about Band X, and someone else will say they don't like it, and give a thoughtful explaination of why, them someone else will chime in and disagree, then another, which is fine, but then someone will chime in with a really pissy comment about how someone shouldn't post on a band thread if they don't like the band- How dare you criticise the vocals- what gives you the right to criticise- You're an elitist! - why don't YOU JUST GO SOMEHWERE ELSE!!!!!!!!

So its hard to wish that this board was like other boards that do that. AA is just as slow most of the time. I think the novelty wore off. What we need is new blood, something the more specialized boards seem to have no problem attracting.

We need Snowbunny's sexual innuendo laced conversations.

We need to find out how much of that vinyl collection Audio Girl has bought back by now.

Whatever the hell happened to PwrPopGuy or allears or DarrenH or TodH?

Notice I didn't mention DBI...;)

Ramones suck.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3-LockBox
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Glad you mention it! can't wait to hear it!!:D
Hurry up and post something else...your post count is the number of the beast!!!!!!

thekid
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I have to say it gives me no thrill that on some days that my posts sit in a lot of threads for a day or two at a time. I certainly do not have the expertise that others here have and tend to supply more questions than answers. Perhaps it is not a question of new blood but of balance within the members between those that sit and watch and those that participate. I often see many threads are viewed but no one responds.

bobsticks
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Y'all realize you're just opening the door for me to jabber incessantly.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
How come there are never any posts about bands like Cream, or Traffic, or The Grateful Dead, or Yes, the Beatles, CSN&Y, Robin Trower, Deep Purple, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Kiss, Queen, Asia, SRV & Double Trouble, Steely Dan, Pearl Jam, Humble Pie....

Because they don't sound like Porpoisehead! That's why!!!

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Y'all realize you're just opening the door for me to jabber incessantly.
Jabber incesantly? Does that equate to rambling aimlessly?

bobsticks
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
How come there are never any posts about bands like Cream, or Traffic, or The Grateful Dead, or Yes, the Beatles, CSN&Y, Robin Trower, Deep Purple, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Kiss, Queen, Asia, SRV & Double Trouble, Steely Dan, Pearl Jam, Humble Pie....

Why don't you start one?

I mean a full one third of those bands suck and I probably won't contribute but some tone deaf fool surely will.

somebody said pick a fight

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I think you forgot to include the IMO part in your post sticks. Not a very constructive way to promote traffic here, if you know what I mean.

jasn
04-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Why don't you start one?

I mean a full one third of those bands suck and I probably won't contribute but some tone deaf fool surely will.

somebody said pick a fight

Which third? And be honest.

bobsticks
04-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Cream--sucks
The Grateful Dead--couldn't suck more
The Beattles--sucked
CSN&Y--totally blows
New Riders of The Purple Sage--you're the only one that knows 'em so they must suck
Kiss--sleeps with midgets, drives a Ferrari and licks donkey d**k
Humble Pie--fat, corporate AOR schlock

:biggrin5: :biggrin5: :biggrin5: you guys realize I'm instigating, right?

thekid
04-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I know you are only throwing gas around but of the list above I am not a Dead fan.......

Their fans talk incessantly about how they did not sell out to the record companies which is true........they just toured all the time and if I recall those concerts were not free. A band makes more money touring than they do from almost any record-record deal so please tell me how they were "all about the music"....... :D

jasn
04-17-2008, 03:11 AM
:D
Cream--sucks
The Grateful Dead--couldn't suck more
The Beattles--sucked
CSN&Y--totally blows
New Riders of The Purple Sage--you're the only one that knows 'em so they must suck
Kiss--sleeps with midgets, drives a Ferrari and licks donkey d**k
Humble Pie--fat, corporate AOR schlock

:biggrin5: :biggrin5: :biggrin5: you guys realize I'm instigating, right?

That's a funny list. You picked my top third. (Kiss? eh, maybe not) :D