Van Alstine [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Van Alstine

blackraven
04-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I talked with Frank Van Alstine today, owner of Van Alstine Audio. He lives in my town and I will be going over to his house to audition some of his Valve amps and Hybrids in the next 2 weeks. He said I can bring any piece of equipment with me to his house to hook up to his amps. I wonder what he would think if I showed up with my Magnepans!
I'll probably bring my 840c along with some music. I will post a review after I audition his amps.

Feanor
04-16-2008, 02:50 AM
I talked with Frank Van Alstine today, owner of Van Alstine Audio. He lives in my town and I will be going over to his house to audition some of his Valve amps and Hybrids in the next 2 weeks. He said I can bring any piece of equipment with me to his house to hook up to his amps. I wonder what he would think if I showed up with my Magnepans!
I'll probably bring my 840c along with some music. I will post a review after I audition his amps.

Van Alstine is a strong believer in tubes, as I recall. Although he doesn't make any all-tube power amps, he makes various "FET-Valve", i.e. tube/MOSFET hybrid power amps. I'll be interested to hear your impressions. There as a TAS review of one these and also his tube hybrid preamp. They were a bit lukewarm on the power but liked the pre. Incidentally, AVA equipment is as plain, utilitarian looking as it gets -- too bad, I'm sure it would be more popular with a prettier appearance.

His forum is at AudioCircle (http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=48.0). I had a brief, testy exchange with him there when I suggested a tube-Class D hybrid amp. He is totally contemptuous of Class D.

oaqm
04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Considering where he lives, I strongly doubt you would be the first to do that.

I talked to the Idiot in Indianapolis and Frank over the phone before I went with Frank's amplifier. Both of them are intimately familiar with the world's finest loudspeakers. I have all ideas most amplifier designers are.

Florian
04-16-2008, 04:44 AM
I always find it interesting to know what amplifier builders use for speakers. Audio Research uses an Apogee Fullrange, Krell used the Fullrange (Dan D'Agostino uses a Grand), Portal Audio uses an Apogee Duetta, H2O Audio uses the Apogee Scintilla. Sphinx uses the Apogee Fullrange, The Smithsonian Institute uses an Apogee DIVA for Mozarts Piano and so on.... quite cool!

E-Stat
04-16-2008, 05:36 AM
I always find it interesting to know what amplifier builders use for speakers. Audio Research uses an Apogee Fullrange...
Perhaps at one time, but they currently use Wilson and Avalon.

Factory Tour (http://www.soundstagelive.com/factorytours/audioresearch/)

rw

E-Stat
04-16-2008, 05:47 AM
I talked with Frank Van Alstine today, owner of Van Alstine Audio.
He's quite a character. I had one of his modified Dyna preamps back in the 70s when his business was called Jensen's Stereo Shop. He has always focused on bang for the buck and done quite well at that.

Frank was one of the first to point out the problems with using ABX switching to compare amplifiers. Since they share a common ground, you are effectively comparing both amps to both amps since the electrical characteristics (including feedback loop) are now shared. He also had some really amusing things to say about visiting Julian Hirsch's workshop. :)

rw

blackraven
04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Frank told me he is currently using SALK speakers. There is also and advertisement for them on his web site. He was rather enthusiastic when I called. He said that there were not a whole lot of peolpe interested in high end audio in our town. He has people over all the time to audition his equipment. You have to make an appointment.

oaqm
04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Have ya been yet? Didja take lotsa peektures? Whadidja get? Did Frank bite anyone while you were there? Did he show you any of that differential stuff he plans to have at the Audiokarma Festival and BBQ Rodeo Roundup & Throwdown?

Florian
04-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Perhaps at one time, but they currently use Wilson and Avalon.

Factory Tour (http://www.soundstagelive.com/factorytours/audioresearch/)

rw

For show, yes. Ask them what they are using for their new hybrid line ;-) I know this because i am friends with the designer friend.

Cheers

PS: They where together with a Apogee Duetta on Rocky Mountain Audio show.... and this year something even heavier ;-) Just wait and watch ^^

http://www.stereomojo.com/Rocky%20Mountain%20Audio%20Fest%202007/images/APOGEE.jpg

drseid
04-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Frank told me he is currently using SALK speakers. There is also and advertisement for them on his web site. He was rather enthusiastic when I called. He said that there were not a whole lot of peolpe interested in high end audio in our town. He has people over all the time to audition his equipment. You have to make an appointment.

If I am not mistaken, they are both going to be at AK Fest in Detroit (Livonia actually), MI in early May. I hope to get a listen to the combo while I am there.

---Dave

E-Stat
04-23-2008, 06:34 AM
For show, yes.
Very well. That is different, however, from your earlier comment regarding what they use internally. I am delighted to see Apogee back on its feet again.

rw

blackraven
04-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I wont get to audition Franks stuff till mid may because of my schedule.

There is a used pair of Apogee Duetta's for sale for $1600 at a local audio shop here. They are still in crates. I'm tempted to go listen to them.

O'Shag
04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Audio Research use Wilson to voice their equipment.

E-Stat
04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Audio Research use Wilson to voice their equipment.
While their few SS amps may fare well with the across-the-board unusually low impedance load of the Apogees, their tube amps would likely not. I think it is more of a matching issue than quality.

rw