I'm movin' on up... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm movin' on up...

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2008, 03:58 AM
FINALLY!!! After four years of searching and being out-bid in multiple offer situations, we finally bought a new house last night. It needs a lot of work but has great bones so we can really turn it into something fantastic in time. It still needs to pass the home inspection, but pending anything major....:thumbsup:

If I weren't so tired from tossing and turning all night, I'd be bouncing off the walls with excitement this morning.

....need serious amounts of coffee this morning. :Yawn:

GMichael
04-15-2008, 05:00 AM
That's great FA. Congrats!
How far is it from your work now? I remember you saying something along the lines of all the house you liked were too far away.

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2008, 05:35 AM
That's great FA. Congrats!
How far is it from your work now? I remember you saying something along the lines of all the house you liked were too far away.

No, that was all the houses that we could AFFORD were too far away. It's about two kilometres further than we are now. For my husband, it's two kilometres closer. :wink5:

GMichael
04-15-2008, 05:44 AM
No, that was all the houses that we could AFFORD were too far away. It's about two kilometres further than we are now. For my husband, it's two kilometres closer. :wink5:

That's great. 2km is just over a mile. That's no biggie, unless you are walking in the snow, uphill both ways.
So, what kind of system(s) are you planning?

bobsticks
04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Congrats, Autumn. Sometimes we get so caught up with what-player-does-what that we neglect to celebrate the real life victories. Good to hear something finally panned out.

Hopefully hubby can be a bit of a handyman around the new manor.

topspeed
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Congrats FA! Home ownership has always been one of the milestones with which we mark our lives.

You have two more weeks to get your HT running before LOST finally resumes. ;)

kexodusc
04-15-2008, 09:01 AM
That's great news FA!
Tell me your new address isn't 815 Dhama Ave.

Just remember...you can fix anything in a house if you use enough silicone!

JohnMichael
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Congratulations and I hope we will be seeing some picutres soon.

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Congratulations and I hope we will be seeing some picutres soon.

Ask and you shall receive. The "garden" in the front yard will be relocated to the fence line along the back yard and we will put a proper lawn in the front.

The back yard will also be "beautified".

We will put in a kitchen (they started to renovate and then decided to leave it for the new owners to put in whatever kitchen they wanted...reflected in the price of the house).

That monster of a fireplace doesn't look quite as large in real life since the basement is much bigger than it looks in the picture. But it's still pretty freakin' big.

Now we just have to sell our place. I'm already dreading that process.

I guess purchasing a new Taylor guitar is on hold for a while. :(

GMichael
04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Love the basement. What a great party room.

JohnMichael
04-15-2008, 04:43 PM
The back yard looks big enough to hold an AR cookout. I agree with GMichael that the basement is a great area to relax and entertain. I hope you keep posting pictures so we can see the special touches you bring to the house.

kexodusc
04-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow...that place has some serious potential, FA!

The acoustics of the family room/kitchen might need some work though...a few bass traps for the corners, some absorption panels for the walls, and a bit of treatm-...err...it looks great.

Be sure to take lots of before pictures! Then wow us with the afters every time you tackle a project.

Man, I hope you get to keep that sweet swing set in the back!

ForeverAutumn
04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys! This house will be great for entertaining. Our current house is tiny and we're crowded if we have two couples over. Family dinners at our place are out of the question. So it'll be nice to have the space for larger gatherings.

As for what system we're planning...well...there won't be any money for major upgrades for some time to come. So we're going to have to deal with our current system and maybe a couple of mini-systems scattered around the place.

My husband can be quite handy with some things. He's great at electrical stuff...not so good at plumbing as proven by a $300 emergency visit one Sunday night when he tried to install a new dishwasher by himself and ended up having to turn off the main water line to stop the house from flooding. :eek:

What I'm really excited about is that we'll now have the space to focus on our music more. There's room in the basement (and enough space between our neighbours) to set up Hubby's drum kit. And I'm going to turn one of the bedrooms into a music room where I can put out all my guitars and set up my recording studio and actually have a proper place to play and work. Of course, with all the house work that I'll be doing...I probably won't have the time. Oh the irony!