Anyone knows any DVD Ripper? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows any DVD Ripper?

freeman
04-15-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi People,
I am on the look out for fast and easy to use DVD ripping software, which can provide good speed with decent quality. I am having a storage problem in my system as I have many things to keep update and there are DVD format movies which are large files which use a lot of space in hard drive. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Rich-n-Texas
04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
:sleep:
Your spammer friend will be along soon to answer your question with a link included.

JohnMichael
04-15-2008, 08:19 AM
If so, then I will be along to delete.

f0rge
04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
i use a combination of handbrake (for ripping) and anydvd (for bypassing copy protection).

i use it to rip movies/shows for my iphone and so far i'm quite pleased with the results

handbrake is easy to use, but also has lots of options if you're an advanced user.

noddin0ff
04-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Man, I'm getting slow. Rich beat me to it.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Isn't it funny that it's always DVD ripping s/w? I wonder what's taking his buddy so long.

JM swings a very large stick... sometimes. :smilewinkgrin:

bfalls
04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
You understand encrypted DVDs are illegal to rip, right?

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't think you'll be hearing from freeman anymore bfalls. He realized the gig is up!

Breezer88888
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
What about DVD Shrink? I've been using it for some time now, and admittedly don't keep up with the latest stuff. But if anyone has a view on it, please post.

bfalls
04-21-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm responsible for Sony copy-protection (ARccOS) in the US. There are several ripping tools which will bypass most copy protection systems. Most are developed in countries with little or no copyright laws. As long as DVDs are required to follow a standard, there will always be ways around copy-protection. The job of our developers is to make it difficult enough that stealing the movies will cost more in time and money to make purchasing the movie more practical.

DVD Shrink was at one time a good ripping tool. The "shrink" portion allowed you the option of either deleting unwanted portions (previews, additional languages/commentaries, etc...) for copying full quality DVD9 (feature only) to a DVD5, or copy the entire DVD9 to a DVD5 at lesser quality. It's definitely not a front runner now. There are very few "one-button" rippers (programs anyone can use). Most require some knowledge of the DVD Standard. The good one aren't free and most require some "clean-up" afterwards using other programs to allow the ripped disc to play. I could tell you the good ones, but I would be shooting myself in the foot.

The usual argument for copying movies is to have a backup. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is someone renting a movie and copying it. Sometimes for personal use, often to resale. If you've ever stopped at a street corner in Mexico, South America, China you know what I'm talking about. Unlawful mass reproduction of copyrighted materials is very common. There is technology in the works which will allow the purchaser the option of copying one or two backup copies. I can see these becoming available within the next year or two.

Groundbeef
04-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Actually, that statement is only 1/2 correct. Technically it is LEGAL to make a "copy" of your own dvd for "backup" purposes. What is ILLEGAL is to utilize technology to overcome the encryption on the DVD. Its a nice little sidestep the industry has used to kill the legal practice of making copies of your own stuff, for personal use.

While I cannot condone piracy, it do think it is abhorent that it is now illegal to make a legal copy of material because in doing so, you are "breaking" the encryption.

And if one is so inclined to make a "backup" copy, you might try google "1 click dvd copy"
This product will NOT copy encrypted dvd material (unless you add an encryption breaker-they dont supply them).

But if you are needing to make copies of DVD's like home movies, or data, it works quite well.

bfalls
04-26-2008, 04:28 PM

I believe I said that. You can't legally make a copy of an encrypted disk without overcoming the enctyption.

bobsticks
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
There is technology in the works which will allow the purchaser the option of copying one or two backup copies. I can see these becoming available within the next year or two.

This makes alot of sense and is ultimately more fair to the legitimate purchaser. Some times I may want to make a copy for the road and it would be nice to be able to do so without jumping through so many hoops.

tzenmo
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi sorry I cannot help you because I don't have any idea about DVD Ripper.

Good luck!

kuei
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Just get a bigger hard drive