Help with helping a friend building a sound system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with helping a friend building a sound system

otimus
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi... new here and all that, trying to find some places to help me with this lil' project with me and my buddy. I'm not much of an audiophile, but he is. A pretty extreme one, most of the time.. However, he doesn't know all too much about sound systems and the like, so I decided I'd help him shop about on the internet.

He gave me a few guidelines:

max of $5,000, but in the $2,000 range much more preferable.
prefers balanced sound. Like Sennheiser HD-600 headphones.
Starting with 2.1 - good idea?
PC with FLAC music will be the main source of music
Used mainly for music.. movies too. Surround can still be added later if that's preferable, though.
Would like a reciever that's not TOO expensive, but good, and upgradeable.
Music is mostly the important thing, above all else
"Absolutely the main thing. I'll play movies through it too, and as long as it's balanced anyways, it shouldn't matter, it should be good for both.", he says
Room is about 14 Feet by 12 Feet.
Connections.. HDMI isn't important, but if it's there, great! Component is a bit more important.. and at least two optical ports are needed, but three would be ideal.
He wants me to emphasize balanced sound. Especially in relation to bass. Nothing boomy.

Hope you guys can help! Links would be nice also, if you can provide em!
Thanks a bunch :)

pixelthis
04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I have tried to build a compromise HT and audio system and failed miserably.
My suggestion is a really nice 2 channel audio rig, with a decent preamp that has a line input you can hook a DVD up to.
Movies through a 2 channel rig can sound quite good, you just dont get the effects of surround.
But an audiophile grade surround system? You're talkin megabucks.
Get a nice 2 channel system, and eventually use it for the front left and right of a surround system, both seperate but together.
You will have to adjust the vollume independently , which is a hassle, but its the only way to join a HT and a AUDIO system.
You can buy a "high end" receiver with two speakers, planning to add others later, but
its not going to be audiophile grade no matter how much you spend.
A receiver can sound "great", but there is "great" and there is "audiophile"
BTW HDMI is important, they are phasing out component for copywrite reasons.
if you get a pre-pro with the idea of starting a HT later, you will need HDMI,
trust me :1:

OzzieAudiophile
04-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi otimus.

Well 5K will limit your options, plus you're also limted as to what you can get in
your area.

There's also the option to buy from e-bay, buy a tradein unit from a hifi store. Sound
coming from the PC sounds like like mp3's, wav files etc, as opposed to a full on
CD/SACD player. I can tell you from experience, a great system (including speakers
that provide great imaging) will show you a great produced CD from a bad one. The former
will produce a better sound of your music than mp3. Most people have a CD/SACD/DVD
Audio collection of their favourite music. There's more than do, than do not. I'm not saying
you cannot get great mp3/wav sound, they are, after all ripped from CDs at one stage,
so it's not like you can produce better than the original. Don't mistake dynamics, than
detail directly off the disc.

Well more of the nicer Class A amps are going to be out of your price range, or will
leave you very little money left for anything else.

Class B are more likely to be from specific brands, and receivers.

Options for a good price or at least worth auditioning...

Cambridge Audio 640R - AV receiver. All the inputs you need, except balanced in.
Balanced in is of no use to you unless you get a balance out source, like a CD
player. It has plenty of inputs, 7.1 input for speakers, opticals ins, 3x HDMI ins,
1 HDMI out, it also has component just in case you may need them.

You didn't say if you were going to get a CD/universal disc player in the 5K budget or
if your mate is getting that later. A universal disc player is probably going to be your
most cost-effective option. Otherwise you must buy two seperate units.

NAD Master Series digital disc player M55. This has HDMI out, however cannot scan
in 1080. Download the manual, take a look for the features. It allows 5.1 outs. This
has optical out, vga out, component, video, scart/rgb, s-video, and coaxal outs.
It played CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD-video, and upscales.

Parasound D3 Universal disc player. In the manual it states HDMI 1.1, not 1.3, but
the HD media is 1.1 for now, it only becomes a concern later this year, if you needed
1 reason not to buy this player. An upgrade may be available for this model, not sure.
This one has Balanced out, 5.1 channel outs, component, s-video outs. there's a
section in the manual that shows you exactly how you want to play your discs,
i.e. scan in HDMI to any i or p setting, this player can access both 2 channel and
multichannel layers for SACD. Not all SACD capable players can access all 3 layers
of a hybrid disc.

This player will also adjust it's playback depending on how many speakers you have,
what types/sizes they are, and distance from each other etc. If it's a bit hard to change
this from the receiver/amp to change those settings, at least with this player, you can
simply use your remote to change such settings to suit your needs.

This player also lets you change the crossover settings, best read that chapter
but it is handy as it can compensate/adjust to any room size. That player has a serious
good range of features you can set up. I'd highly recommend you read the manual.
It will be at least a good comparison to other universal disc players. It will be hard to
beat, feature-wise, and flexibility, which by definition is what a "universal player" should be.

If you like the Cambridge Audio options, then you may find it more advantagous to
purchase the source, other amp etc, as Cambridge Audio also.

I.E. The Cambridge Audio 740C and 840C both have a CD upscaler from 16 bit 44kHz
to 24 bit 384 kHz. Most people who have auditioned and own it, swear by it, a great
player. These will NOT play SACD or DVD-A, DVD. There is a DVD-99, which will
address the DVD bit, but take a look on the website and see if they are suitable.
They are cheaper than the other brands, so overall this will be more affordable, you may
be able to get 2 to 3 of this brand within the 5K budget. I'd get some more details
for you, but the official website is officially down right now lol.

Yeah if your buddy is a real insane serious audiophile, hmmm yeah better to actually
audition the Class A amps, and get him to listen to the quality. For example, I listened
McIntosh, and the detail was really incredible. The 1K, 1.5K options sound good for
their prices, but just do not come close to McIntosh. That brand IS pricey, but you may
pay for the name, there's more good feedback from owners, than not. I've yet to hear
bad feedback from actual owners of McIntosh. Best let your own ears be the judge.

Some receivers when you're auditioning them may sound a little too "bright". There are
good reasons why some brands can build amps/receivers so cheap. Your own ears
must be the judge, then at least you can trim out which options you can live without,
if like he said, "Music is mostly the important thing, above all else".

Audition the 3K + brands/amps. McIntosh, Parasound, Plinius, NAD Master Series.

Worse-case scenario he loves all the above 3K+ options, but cannot afford them,
then at least he has somewhere to start, then audition the cheaper ones, and work
out what quality is missing, weigh it up with cost, then go with that. I'd recommend
to take your sweet time, audition plenty of brands, and bring over the same favourite
CDs/SACDs for each audition. The really good setups, amps, sources will reveal
greater detail from the disc, you'll be able to hear the subtlties, additional instuments,
voices, that are missing in the cheaper brands/components.

If your buddy is unlucky and MUST have a particular component, if there's no budget
left for anything else, he might be lucky to stike a deal to layby/budget for 2 or 3
components over 6 months or whatever, with a discount from the same shop. It is in their
best interest to keep your business, they want to sell you components which will
compliment other ones you buy from them.

You can google for the official brand sites to download the manuals. You are doing
yourself a massive disservice by NOT reading the manual before buying a component.
If your buddy is sly, he will download, print and read the manual of a model before a first
visit of the shop that stocks it, or just after the first visit, but before the second visit.
Always ask the same questions to test the sales staff knowledge, at least you will know
which ones know their stuff, and which ones are full of porky pies.

PM me to let me know how you go.

markw
04-15-2008, 05:32 AM
He should set a budget for speakers, determine how many speakers he wants to buy now, and start auditioning them. Remember, speakers for a MC music system should be "matched" and if he only buys a front R/L pair now, there's no guarantee the matching center and surrounds will be available next year.

Use well recorded music as the litmus test. Once he decides on speakers, the rest will fall into place.

f0rge
04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
in the $2k budget i'd look at an onkyo tx-sr805 receiver and b&w 683 speakers. if he doesn't like how the b&w's sound then look at the paradigm monitor line, the 9's specifically.

that would set you up nicely for a 2 channel system, later add a center, then a sub, then surrounds.

$5k budget opens up a whole other realm of possibilities...i think ozzie covers that pretty well.

blackraven
04-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I agree, look at a HT receiver like the Onlkyo 605,705, 805's or the Denon 2808CI or 3808CI's The denons have computer interfaces. Also consider NAD HT receivers. These receivers will give good 2ch sound and allow you to move into HT when your ready. My preference would be NAD but it is the most expensive of the bunch. If you want to do separate amp and preamp look at www.outlawaudio.com.

For speakers consider the B&W 683's or NHT Classic 4's, Paradigms and PSB's. The NHT Classic 4's will have the warmest sound and won't necessarily need a sub because they have a 10" side firing woofer and a 6.5" front woofer.

For a sub, I would consider the Velodyne SPL series, Martin Logan Dynamo which is excellent for music and has no boom or muddiness, REL subs from www.sumikoaudio.net. All these subs are non-ported and will give nice crisp bass.

For a CD/DVD player, you could consider a universal player like tha Marantz DV7001 or the Oppo 983. If you wanted to go with a separate CDP and DVDP then look at the Marantz SA8001 SACDP, Cambridge Audio 740c, Rega Apollo, Music Hall 25.2 which would be the cheapest. For a DVD player look at the Oppo 981 or 983 (www.oppodigital.com)

audio amateur
04-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Check out Cambridge Audio's 640R receiver.

GMichael
04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
I would do something like this.

This pre-pro for $700 - http://www.emotiva.com/mmc1.html
This 2 channel amp for $800 - http://www.emotiva.com/xpa2.html
This multi-channel amp for $500 - http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5
These main speakers for $1900 - http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=23&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
These surround speakers for $500 - http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=31&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
This center speaker for $450 - http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=30&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
You shouldn't need a sub if TV and movies are not a prime concern. One could be added later if things change.

Total of $4850 not counting speaker wire & connectors.

But that's just me. Audio equipment is a very personal thing. What one person thinks is great is another man's crap.

You really should start going to audio shops in your area. Listen to as many different products as you can. Then decide what you/he likes best.

blackraven
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
If your more commited to spending around 2K here are some idea's

Onkyo TX SR605 HT receiver for $389 from amazon
Oppo 983 DVD/SACD for $399 this player has gotten great reviews as a DVD and CD player
B&W 683 floor standers for $1500 or NHT Classic 4's for $1,100-1500

If you want to add a sub Mirage S8 for $350, Martin Logan Dynamo for $599

If you want to do a separate DVD and CD player then the Oppo 981HD DVD for about $200
and either the Music Hall 25.2 CDP for $540, Cambridge Audio 640c for $600 or the Marantz SA8001 SACD for $800

For an inexpensive 2ch receiver with high current and plenty of power (120wpc) with preamp out, look at the HK 3485 for about $250 on sale. It a bargain at this price. Good sound with plenty of power and high current design.

Or consider the Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver with bass management and preamp outs for $600.

pixelthis
04-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi otimus.

Well 5K will limit your options, plus you're also limted as to what you can get in
your area.

There's also the option to buy from e-bay, buy a tradein unit from a hifi store. Sound
coming from the PC sounds like like mp3's, wav files etc, as opposed to a full on
CD/SACD player. I can tell you from experience, a great system (including speakers
that provide great imaging) will show you a great produced CD from a bad one. The former
will produce a better sound of your music than mp3. Most people have a CD/SACD/DVD
Audio collection of their favourite music. There's more than do, than do not. I'm not saying
you cannot get great mp3/wav sound, they are, after all ripped from CDs at one stage,
so it's not like you candetail directly off the disc. produce better than the original. Don't mistake dynamics, than

THIS is totally wrong.
Flac or other lossless codecs, played through a proper usb DAC or soundcard
can sound every bit as good as a high end CD player.
This is what I am using now, as a matter of fact.
The above statement is coming from the viewpoint that all computer music is cheap MP3
or WMA off of the internet. nothing could be further from the truth.
That is why "music" servers are popping up all over the place, including from Cambridge.
They are nothing more than overpriced computers playing tunes off of a HD.
It doesnt matter if the bitstream comes from a CD or a HD, its going to sound the same.
In fact, some argue that a lossless signal (like flac) from a computer is better
than a CD, as there are no playback issues, and they are a lot more convienient.
This is why some think the days of the CD are numbered, btw:1:

bobsticks
04-16-2008, 06:33 AM
THIS is totally wrong.
Flac or other lossless codecs, played through a proper usb DAC or soundcard
can sound every bit as good as a high end CD player.
This is what I am using now, as a matter of fact.
The above statement is coming from the viewpoint that all computer music is cheap MP3
or WMA off of the internet. nothing could be further from the truth.
That is why "music" servers are popping up all over the place, including from Cambridge.
They are nothing more than overpriced computers playing tunes off of a HD.
It doesnt matter if the bitstream comes from a CD or a HD, its going to sound the same.
In fact, some argue that a lossless signal (like flac) from a computer is better
than a CD, as there are no playback issues, and they are a lot more convienient.
This is why some think the days of the CD are numbered, btw:1:

Um, no it's not totally wrong. I agree that FLAC and other lossless codecs will one day be reproduced via computer with an efficiency every bit as impressive as high end units, but we're not there yet.

As of yet there aren't any standalone soundcards that get the job done and, while constantly improving, USB DACS are in there infancy. I had the Scott Nixon Tube DAC at the house for a week last year and regret not keeping it. Very serviceable...but not top of the line.

Music servers like the Olive, though expensive, bring something to the table that no PC can compete with---a great reduction in fan noise. I would be highly interested to hear HermanV's setup. I can imagine that being a system that would set the paradigm for the future.

I think that lossless files will be the future of the industry but I think it's a stretch to say we're there at this point.

OzzieAudiophile
04-16-2008, 08:09 AM
pixelthis : you best choose your words before blasting at someone's comments.

Just where in my post did I say CD/SACD is always better than the flac (and other
lossless) format ?

[pixelthis]
In fact, some argue that a lossless signal (like flac) from
a computer is better than a CD, as there are no playback issues, and they
are a lot more convienient.

That is so funny, where do you think many flac files come from ? Media, such as CD.

A computer will have NO Playback issues ? That's hilarious. The following can cause
these playback issues when files are played on a PC instead of a dedicated CD
player :

1. The PC has too many applications opened simitanously
2. The PC is low or out of disc space
3. The PC is has been infected by certain forms of virii and spyware
4. The PC has windows installed at all hahaa.
5. The PC is unstable, has key system files removed or corrupted
6. The PC is below minimim spec
7. The PC Blue Screens of Death
8. The PC /server has been set up the wrong way
9. An incorrect version of software has been installed
10. The software has been installed the wrong way

I'm assuming you have not lost your memory when I said "can" cause these
playback issues.

Put a proper dedicated CD player in front of you, plug it in, switch it on and
put in a normal CD. Just how many on that list of 10 apply to such a CD player?

Let's see NONE !!.

[pixelthis]
This is why some think the days of the CD are numbered, btw

Again... that is an argument structure coming from purely one angle only, there is a
bigger picture than "convenience".

How do you think music companies make money ? They release CDs, DVDs, then
rerelease more versions, heck even Elvis is releasing another greatest hits CD as I
write this post. Despite the folks who believe cd stores will close down because it
will be all taken over by flac servers, i-tune stores etc, fail to realise just how many
people DO NOT own a Pc, and many will never do so. On the contrary there are still
many vinyl users out there who are loyal to it.

Does one believe that Sony, BMG, and all of the other major music companies are
going to simply close shop because everything's going to go on Windows Servers ?
Right, who's going to pay for all the musicians to perform their music ? Yeah I'm sure
you will pay their music contracts.

I walk into Cd stores once a week and noticed that there's literally 1000's of people lining
up to buy a CD, DVD, or other form of music/game in some packaging. Hmmm no
doesn't look like CD is very dead to me. Didn't look more dead this year than last year.

iTunes and similar companies that store music for the consumer to pay per song
(let's say for legitimate purposes), will only continue to do so as long as they make
increasing profits every year. For that to happen CD, DVD sales will have to keep
going down.

Should CD retail shops all over the world to close down the following must
happen :

1. All music companies will have to cease contracts to produce music onto CD, and
stick the on "flac" servers instead.

2. All audio component companies must cease their R&D and stop making CD/SACD,
DVD-Audio, and Universal Disc players.

3. All music companies must no longer be able to justify their 1c per CD cost for their
1500% profits. Hmmm yeah this 1c really is far too expensive.

4. The markup for music on flac servers (or other lossless format servers), is more likely
to be lower than 1500% so many music artists in the world (as little as they get paid
already, may have to keep their day jobs flipping burgets).

5. 90% of the people who can afford to buy CDs, must stop buying CDs forever.
That is like asking 90% of the world to stop buying chocolate.

Maybe in your world everyone will own a PC, sit in front of monitor, and listen to flac
files one day. Yeah I'm sure someone will give all third world people in the world a PC,
and monitor, or a flac file player, and over 90% of people can be persuaded that there is
no appeal of reading a CD booklet, taking a look at what the artist looks like, reading the
lyrics, when all that they will have from now on is their iPod-ish flac player.

Arguments such as yours come from the same type of people from CD owners back in
1982 who said that LP's will be dead.

I do not disagree that Flac on servers etc won't do well in the music market, and improve
on their popularity, but to take over and own CDs ? PLEASE !!!

2004, worldwide sales of CD audio, CD-ROM, and CD-R reached about 30 billion discs. 2007, 200 billion CDs had been sold worldwide.

I believe your "some would say" CD days are numbered, will need to remember to
take their medication.

Sorry YOU LOSE Mr Flac.

blackraven
04-16-2008, 09:39 AM
I dont think we will see the death of CD's any time soon. The audio quality of downloaded music may come to be as good as CD/SACD but the issue for me is storage and what happens when a hardrive die's. I dont want to have to have a large HD laying around with backed up music. I've had 3 high end hard drives die on me in the last several years and have had several corrupted.

pixelthis
04-17-2008, 12:14 AM
pixelthis : you best choose your words before blasting at someone's comments.

not "blasting" anything, just saying YOU were blasting music off of a server

Just where in my post did I say CD/SACD is always better than the flac (and other lossless) format ?

You were guilty of ommision, you left out Flac and ape, and mentioned stuff that
isnt as good as CD

[pixelthis]

That is so funny, where do you think many flac files come from ? Media, such as CD.

Thats where I ripped my Flac files from, which is why they are just as good

A computer will have NO Playback issues ? That's hilarious. The following can cause these playback issues when files are played on a PC instead of a dedicated CD
player :

1. The PC has too many applications opened simitanously
2. The PC is low or out of disc space
3. The PC is has been infected by certain forms of virii and spyware
4. The PC has windows installed at all hahaa.
5. The PC is unstable, has key system files removed or corrupted
6. The PC is below minimim spec
7. The PC Blue Screens of Death
8. The PC /server has been set up the wrong way
9. An incorrect version of software has been installed
10. The software has been installed the wrong way

I'm assuming you have not lost your memory when I said "can" cause these
playback issues.

THESE ARENT "PLAYBACK" ISSUES, they are stupidity.
I was afraid pauses would interfere with my music, played back in FLAC off of a USB drive,
and that did happen occasionally.
Now I just make sure everything is turned off, when I listen to my music I don't do anything else.
None of the other "issues" are a problem to someone with a brain

Put a proper dedicated CD player in front of you, plug it in, switch it on and put in a normal CD. Just how many on that list of 10 apply to such a CD player?
Let's see NONE !!.
[pixelthis]

Scratches, skipping, dirt, CD "rot", how many apply to a computer?

Again... that is an argument structure coming from purely one angle only, there is a
bigger picture than "convenience".

there is no bigger issue than "convienence".
This is the most overlooked and least understood issue in home audio.
Thats because most "audiophiles" refuse to admit it, but the phrase "out of sight, out of mind " applies to music.
Sit your music on a shelf , lined up in there little jewel boxes, you will forget aabout most of it.
Most play their newer stuff, the older stuff gets forgotten.
But if its on a menu on your computer its more likely to stay in your mind, you will see it as you search through it.
A friend never organizes his stuff, while setting up his HT in his new garden home, he
walked up to me with a package wrapped in celopane, it was a stack of CD's, mostly robert cray. He had been searching for them forever.
How you organize your libary is key to how much you enjoy it.
This is why I like changers, I like to sit and listen to music not exercise by constantly getting up and changing discs.
And a well built five disc changer can sound as good as a high buck single tray unit,
like the changer from Marantz, for instance.
And putting together a playlist on a computer means a lot of uninterrupted enjoyment

How do you think music companies make money ? They release CDs, DVDs, then rerelease more versions, heck even Elvis is releasing another greatest hits CD as I
write this post. Despite the folks who believe cd stores will close down because it
will be all taken over by flac servers, i-tune stores etc, fail to realise just how many
people DO NOT own a Pc, and many will never do so. On the contrary there are still
many vinyl users out there who are loyal to it.
Does one believe that Sony, BMG, and all of the other major music companies are
going to simply close shop because everything's going to go on Windows Servers ?
Right, who's going to pay for all the musicians to perform their music ? Yeah I'm sure
you will pay their music contracts.
I walk into Cd stores once a week and noticed that there's literally 1000's of people lining
up to buy a CD, DVD, or other form of music/game in some packaging. Hmmm no
doesn't look like CD is very dead to me. Didn't look more dead this year than last year.

You dont need a computer anymore.
In Japan the PC is becoming passe, the Japanese are using Ipods, PDA'S, cellfones,
and other type devices to surf the web, download files, and text and email.
They use USB drives to store things

iTunes and similar companies that store music for the consumer to pay per song(let's say for legitimate purposes), will only continue to do so as long as they make
increasing profits every year. For that to happen CD, DVD sales will have to keep
going down.

keep going down, which means they are going down.
A CD was a pretty big deal when it came out, and it was a music playback system,
then the CD rom app began, 650 mb was hugh, held all of the software on my first computer.
Now, its a joke. 650 mb aint squat in a 30, 60, 80 gig Ipod world.
I have a 30 gig player that has my entire collection for play in the car, or on the go
Its the size of a pack of smokes

Should CD retail shops all over the world to close down the following must happen :

1. All music companies will have to cease contracts to produce music onto CD, and
stick the on "flac" servers instead.

2. All audio component companies must cease their R&D and stop making CD/SACD,
DVD-Audio, and Universal Disc players.

3. All music companies must no longer be able to justify their 1c per CD cost for their
1500% profits. Hmmm yeah this 1c really is far too expensive.

4. The markup for music on flac servers (or other lossless format servers), is more likely
to be lower than 1500% so many music artists in the world (as little as they get paid
already, may have to keep their day jobs flipping burgets).

5. 90% of the people who can afford to buy CDs, must stop buying CDs forever.
That is like asking 90% of the world to stop buying chocolate.

The only thing "required" is that people stop buying CD'S, which they are doing in wholesale numbers.
In the last few years we have had a half dozen record shops close down in town, and this is a college town.
And the others are on life support.
Open your eyes and take a look at the "real" world.
As for the "markup ON SERVERS , what do you think the "markup" on a CD is?
THEY COST 2.00 TO MAKE, thatss right, 2.00
thats for marketing, pressing, artists, the gas to send em out on the truck.
And the industry is having a hissy fit because walmart "only" wants to charge eight bucks,
a markup of 400%.
And dont forget that a lot of stuff is on that CD you bought that you dont want, you just wanted a few songs, so the actual price of those two songs or so is probably a lot larger
than downloading.
WHICH IS WHY DOWNLOADING IS TAKING OFF, AND cd SALES ARE TANKING

Maybe in your world everyone will own a PC, sit in front of monitor, and listen to flac files one day. Yeah I'm sure someone will give all third world people in the world a PC,
and monitor, or a flac file player, and over 90% of people can be persuaded that there is
no appeal of reading a CD booklet, taking a look at what the artist looks like, reading the
lyrics, when all that they will have from now on is their iPod-ish flac player.

And these third world types have CD players?

Arguments such as yours come from the same type of people from CD owners back in 1982 who said that LP's will be dead.

I was one of those people, and I was RIGHT.
The only records today are specialty issues and they cost a fortune, and the "analog"
sound from these "records " usually comes from digital masters

I do not disagree that Flac on servers etc won't do well in the music market, and improve on their popularity, but to take over and own CDs ? PLEASE !!!

More likely some form of WMA lossless, or Apple lossless
PEOPLE ARE LIKE DINOSAURS, THEY NEVER NOTICE THE ASTEROID HAS HIT.
For CD, its here, its just a matter of time.
And I HATE IT, I love CD

2004, worldwide sales of CD audio, CD-ROM, and CD-R reached about 30 billion discs. 2007, 200 billion CDs had been sold worldwide.

TELL THAT to former makers of CRT television sets, ask them if they thought in 2002
that a 32" crt TV be scarce as hens teeth in 2008.
In 2006 I PRICED A 32IN VIZIO FOR A GRAND AT sams club, sitting alonside it was a 32in sdtv from somy, and a 30" widescreen from phillips, and several others.
How many are there today, two years later?

I believe your "some would say" CD days are numbered, will need to remember to take their medication.

We'll be in line behind record company owners

Sorry YOU LOSE Mr Flac.

You sound like the Germans at the end of WWII, you lose allies!
And then they blowed their brains out.
YOU LOSE, as does anubody who underestimates the change that can happen in a market overnight:1:

GMichael
04-17-2008, 05:08 AM
We may have strayed a little off topic. But then again, the OP doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Luvin Da Blues
04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why his friend, the audiophile, is not here asking questions?

markw
04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
The two previous posts are exactly why I don't expend too much energy on these overly broad questions (2 - 5k, stereo or HT) without some direction along the way.

I gave my input, which I believe is valid for the situation. now, it's up to them.

It is fun to watch the brushfires that develop when people try to impress, though. :)

GMichael
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
The two previous posts are exactly why I don't expend too much energy on these overly broad questions (2 - 5k, stereo or HT) without some direction along the way.

I gave my input, which I believe is valid for the situation. now, it's up to them.

It is fun to watch the brushfires that develop when people try to impress, though. :)

I'm thinking that the OP just drove by and tossed a lit match out his window. It doesn't look like he's even looked back to see the fire he started.

OzzieAudiophile
04-17-2008, 10:49 AM
[pixelthis]

not "blasting" anything, just saying YOU were blasting music off of a server

Blasting a technology/method is not quite the same as blasting someone personally.
Not a good point if you have to sidestep what you're trying to argue.

[pixelthis]

You were guilty of ommision, you left out Flac and ape, and mentioned stuff that
isnt as good as CD

My orginal point was not intended to list every format that has been out, and will be
out, it would of taken days to write.

Your normal normal method of operation is to look for absolutely anything that anyone
has missed in any post and have a go is it ? Rather than provide actual constructive
criticism ?

[pixelthis]

THESE ARENT "PLAYBACK" ISSUES, they are stupidity.

Of course the original points affect "Playback", stupid or not, people are still most
capable of doing the above, no matter how much their love to store their precious
flac (or any other music) files onto their PC.

So what ? Scratch on CD ? you can rule that as stupidity. Many CD players are
still capable of playing CDs that have scratches on them. As if the CD players will
cheese-grate CDs. It's not even surface scratches which cause CD players to skip,
more than the dirt/grime on the disc. However it doesn't occur to some people to
keep their discs clean. It even states in some CD player manuals to advise the
owner to keep their discs clean, with even instructions on how to wipe them.

Troubleshooting sections raise some checkpoints to handle stupidity issues.

I.e. No power on CD player.

1. Check that you have plugged in the player.
2. Check that you have pressed the power button on the front panel to the on position.

Anyone who's at least half knowledgable with Windows know that Microsoft's largest
group of software testers are "the end consumer". That's what patches and service
packs are for. The help file is althrough improving, but many errors give the
user the option to "send to Microsoft", which is as helpful as putting a bush fire out with
a can of petrol.

Just how is a Blue Screen of Death - Stupidity ? Just how in the world are you supposed
to avoid every possible type of Blue Screen of Death occurance ? Your point is based
that software and hardware on a PC will NEVER break down, or become damaged.

blackraven raised a good point - Hard drive failure, as much care you can take, when
those go, you risk losing much more, than some lousy scratches on 1 CD, where
only the songs on that CD are affected instead of the rest of your music collection.

Kodak have released archival CDs and DVDs that claim files copied on there will
last 300 years for CD, 100 for DVD. Certainly 99% longer than some other dodgy
brands. There are also many other formats and alturnatives to hard drive, many that
are more stable than hard drives.

[pixelthis]

I was afraid pauses would interfere with my music, played back in FLAC off of a USB drive,
and that did happen occasionally.

You will get plenty of causes for pauses of reading music off PCs and/or streaming
files off the net, or networked PC/Server. Pretty much some of those cause are
the ones I listed above.

Played FLAC off a USB drive, haha, USB. I'll leave that to you to figure it out for yourself
how to fix that. And NO not by necessarily changing to CD instead.

[pixelthis]

None of the other "issues" are a problem to someone with a brain

And taking at least reasonable care of your CDs, DVDs, anything on disc does NOT
apply to someone with a brain ?

There's many ways to mistreat, and not take care to store discs in their cases etc.
For many people who have a large CD collection, most would take at least some
reasonable care of their discs because they value the time/money they spent buying them
Should they encounter a disc which is unplayable on their player, that's 1 in 100, or 1000.
Even then, that doesn't mean that disc cannot play on another player.

There are even disc scratch repairers and cleaners.

Your argument is justifying that disc players should be robust enough to play a
disc regardless on how the discs themselves are mistreated by the user, that
the problem will always be the player, never the user.

That is the same as saying you should still be able to start your car and drive
down to the shop regardless on how poor condition you've kept the engine.

Whilst at the same time any flac setup will be more reliable and stable, and that
if it doesn't work, it's "stupidity".

No matter how good you claim your flac files are, or any other file you can rip off
a disc, no matter how technology progresses, there element of "stupidity" will always
be there. You can always count of computer illiterate people who make "stupidity"
mistakes than a CD player skip a section of 1 disc due to a bad scratches, and
dirt.

[pixelthis]

Scratches, skipping, dirt, CD "rot",

So you actually expect every CD player to actually play a totally "rotted" CD ?

That's the same expectation from people whinge to their mechanic as to why
their car has broken down. Then it is found that they never changed their oil and
filter.

[pixelthis]

there is no bigger issue than "convienence".

Sorry, you cannot speak for everyone on this planet. Not everyone is going to throw
away their precious CD, DVD, Vinyl, cassette collections just to buy an iPodish
flac player. Go ahead, to your backyard start a fire and throw your disc collections in.

[pixelthis]

Most play their newer stuff, the older stuff gets forgotten.

You obviously never met a vinyl enthusiast. Try to convince them that their vinyl is
worthless, here's a flac drive, use this, they'll send their dogs on you to rip that
precious little flac drive to pieces.

[pixelthis]

This is the most overlooked and least understood issue in home audio.

There will always be overlooked and least understood issues in home audio, regardless
on what the issue is.

Not everyone will be totally aware of every issue, technology in home audio.
I'm sure a large proportion of home audio people find that their priority is mainly
listening pleasure.

How that is achieved due to equipment is one thing, as long as they have their
means to listen to their music, where it sits on the shelf, or what sector in their
PC, doesn't matter to them.

[pixelthis]

This is why I like changers, I like to sit and listen to music not exercise by constantly getting up and changing discs.

With the increasing proportion of overweight and obese people in the world, it would
do them a favour if they got up and changed discs haha.

[pixelthis]

And a well built five disc changer can sound as good as a high buck single tray unit

CAN ? sometimes. Always ? definately not. Most of the highest quality CD players
are single disc players as opposed to disc changers. Research the build on the top
end models you will notice they are heavier, better quality circuitary, and more circuitary
is used due to the more space available in the unit, which is not taken up by the rest
of the tray.

When was the last time you actually saw a 400+1 CD changer listed as the "best
quality" CD playing in a year ? You probably better just keep on searching.

[pixelthis]

You dont need a computer anymore.
In Japan the PC is becoming passe, the Japanese are using Ipods, PDA'S, cellfones,
and other type devices to surf the web, download files, and text and email.
They use USB drives to store things

Dude where on earth do you think "how" those files get transfered to all those USB keys
and drives ? TELEPATHY ??? No force of will !! that's it, no wait, you can buy a
USB drive that already has your entire music collection on the shelf.

PDAs, iPods, cellFONES all come with an installation CD, hmm I wonder what those
are for, I'll play them on my CD player, because I expect my CD player to play Windows
CD ROMs as well, and if it can't then CD players are crap, I'll cut into pieces so I can
squeeze them into my flac player slot.

You actually need a means to transfer the music onto the blank usb drive/key, or
phone in the first place.

One needs software to be installed on a "PC", to "transfer" their files onto their USB
drive, or phone. Yes you could just dial up your phone company and pay for each
song, I'm sure that is the cheapest option to get music onto your phone.

Oh that's it, nooo that's not necessary, I can do that via e-mail. Let's see do I need a PC
for that ? Nooo I'll e-mail without using a PC, and even if I was able to do that, I'd have the
expectation that the rest of the world can use the same method also.

[pixelthis]

keep going down, which means they are going down.

Nope, you've missed quoted what I said.

30 GB, 60 GB etc, will be nothing in 10 years time. 1 TB will be nothing in 20.

Good chance that space on a disc will be irrelavant in 20 years time, when there
are technologies beyond drives.

Watch Red vs Blue there's an episode on technology, they pretty much have
addressed that topic well.

[pixelthis]

In the last few years we have had a half dozen record shops close down in town,
and this is a college town. And the others are on life support.

Just because your town is having cd shops close down doesn't dictate the
music world economy.

There's a good reason why some close down, and that is competition. The larger
shops attract customers to theirs because they can sell it cheaper. At the end
of the day customers like to pay less, it goes the same with supermarkets.
The larger market chains also have the power and money to bully the smaller shops
into closing down using legal/scare tactics.

You also forget the tens of 1000's of websites where you can buy CDs/DVDs, etc
online. Many of them make good profits and sales. There are less overheads, so they
can afford to offer discounts.

[pixelthis]

Open your eyes and take a look at the "real" world.

No it's your eyes that are shut, and praying that your little precious USB drives and
flac players take over the world, and that CD dies tomorrow, don't hold your breath.

[pixelthis]

And the industry is having a hissy fit because walmart "only" wants to charge eight bucks,
a markup of 400%.

Shops can charge whatever they want. Same as supermarkets for groceries. Some
shops will undercharge their items to bring in more customers, which is taking away
businesses from smaller shops, which can be a contributing factor to why they
are closing down (including your area).

Yes downloads are increasing, but a lot of music is downloaded "illegally".

[pixelthis]

I was one of those people, and I was RIGHT.
The only records today are specialty issues and they cost a fortune, and the "analog"
sound from these "records " usually comes from digital masters

Dead depends on your definition, companies will still produce vinyl, because there are
just too many vinyl owners. YOUNG as well as old. Many Dj's use vinyl, and they
are not baby boomers.

Much music come from digital masters, regardless on what format you are finally
listening to, whether it is vinyl, CD, or flac. The fact that CD is transfered from a
digital Master, you convert your music from CD to flac, so in essence, it's a copy of a
copy.

[pixelthis]

For CD, its here, its just a matter of time. And I HATE IT, I love CD

It is more likely that every one of the audio review members will be dead way before
the world stops making CDs.

I love CDs also, I also have music on hard drives, I like both. I'd rather have both, if there
is a problem with one, I have the other.

The asteroid will hit with many things eventually. With CD however people are just
not going to throw away their players, and CD collections, they spent way too much
money for it. If you believe it is not worth having a CD collection because it's so much
more "convenient" having a flac server/player, then you might as well throw away
your flac servers/players because there are companies working right now to supercede
that technology.

The rate of technology increases, rise every year. We're all becoming dinosaurs sooner
than we wish, I'd rather spend the remaining time I have on here enjoying listening to
music, than worrying about when a certain technology is going to be replaced.

Availability of CRT, smaller sized LCD, plasma etc, depends on the locale.
Shops, websites have stock depending on what they can get, what they believe will
get sales, at the time. In my area you can still get crt, and plasma. Many whingers
on here argue that there's no point buying it because it's dead. Actually
much LCT are more expensive than plasma of the same size, and crt tvs are even
cheaper. People buy small crt, or disconintued products, because it's all that they
can afford. Not everyone has the luxury to buy the latest and biggest.

With the way the economy is going, and how greater job we know the government
is at "fixing" the economy, there will always be a good proportion of people who
cannot afford to buy the latest technology all of the time, so there will always be
a low-end market.

In addition since you've been around the block a few times, if you owned a crt
tv in the past you would know it lasted a lot longer than the newer screens now.
Just like a new car, there are more electronic parts, more things can go wrong.
However the sad part about these tv screen making companies is that they can
make their product a lot better, with better parts, and make their screens last
longer. They choose not to do that because they want to make money. They'd
see no sense in building tvs that would last 20 years. If they really wanted to do
that, they'd have to charge a ridicious price to the consumer, which the majority
just won't pay.

[pixelthis]

YOU LOSE, as does anubody who underestimates the change that can happen in a market overnight

A change to stop making CDs, overnight, and for shops to stop selling them ?
OVERNIGHT ? No, no one is going to believe that.

There's no one sole company that decides the fate of the CD format, because there are too
many companies.

f0rge
04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
holy crap that might be the longest post i've ever seen...

GMichael
04-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Do a search for posts from RGA.

pixelthis
04-17-2008, 01:18 PM

then you havent been around HERE long.
This post is NOTHING compared to when sir talky gets his massive ego revved up, why do you think I call him sir talky?

AND the post where I ANSWER is gonna be twice as long:1:

pixelthis
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
AS soon as Shelby Lynn finishes with
"I thought it would be easier" :1:

GMichael
04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
then you havent been around HERE long.
This post is NOTHING compared to when sir talky gets his massive ego revved up, why do you think I call him sir talky?

AND the post where I ANSWER is gonna be twice as long:1:

You two still got nothing over those RGA vs (pick someone) posts.

markw
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
You two still got nothing over those RGA vs (pick someone) posts.How about Sir T vs. Beefy? My CRT ran out of ink on some of those!

pixelthis
04-17-2008, 03:02 PM
[pixelthis]

Blasting a technology/method is not quite the same as blasting someone personally]Not a good point if you have to sidestep what you're trying to argue.[quote]
Just stating facts

[pixelthis]

[QUOTE]My orginal point was not intended to list every format that has been out, and will be out, it would of taken days to write.

So you just left out the lossless ones.
CUTE.

Your normal normal method of operation is to look for absolutely anything that anyone has missed in any post and have a go is it ? Rather than provide actual constructive
criticism ?

lEAVING out the advantages of something isnt "missing" something, its casting blame by ommision

[pixelthis]

Of course the original points affect "Playback", stupid or not, people are still most capable of doing the above, no matter how much their love to store their precious]flac (or any other music) files onto their PC.

I'm not

So what ? Scratch on CD ? you can rule that as stupidity. Many CD players are still capable of playing CDs that have scratches on them. As if the CD players will
cheese-grate CDs. It's not even surface scratches which cause CD players to skip,
more than the dirt/grime on the disc. However it doesn't occur to some people to
keep their discs clean. It even states in some CD player manuals to advise the
owner to keep their discs clean, with even instructions on how to wipe them.

Doesnt matter how the scratches got there.
I used to play my CD's IN A CAR, no way to avoid some scratches

Troubleshooting sections raise some checkpoints to handle stupidity issues
I.e. No power on CD player.

1. Check that you have plugged in the player.
]2. Check that you have pressed the power button on the front panel to the on position.

DUH!
When does class start on how to flush a toilet?

Anyone who's at least half knowledgable with Windows know that Microsoft's largest group of software testers are "the end consumer". That's what patches and service
packs are for. The help file is althrough improving, but many errors give the
user the option to "send to Microsoft", which is as helpful as putting a bush fire out with]a can of petrol.

Never had any trouble with my XP

Just how is a Blue Screen of Death - Stupidity ? Just how in the world are you suppose to avoid every possible type of Blue Screen of Death occurance ? Your point is based that software and hardware on a PC will NEVER break down, or become damaged.

Never had" the blue screen of death", not once.
What kind of one lung computer are you using?
AND EVERYTHING IS BACKED UP, btw

blackraven raised a good point - Hard drive failure, as much care you can take, when those go, you risk losing much more, than some lousy scratches on 1 CD, where
only the songs on that CD are affected instead of the rest of your music collection.
THATS WHY YOU BACK STUFF UP

Kodak have released archival CDs and DVDs that claim files copied on there will last 300 years for CD, 100 for DVD. Certainly 99% longer than some other dodgy
brands. There are also many other formats and alturnatives to hard drive, many that
are more stable than hard drives.

SOUNDS GREAT FOR BACKUPS
And HD is bocoming more stable every year, and files are retreivable from a crashed drive

[pixelthis]

You will get plenty of causes for pauses of reading music off PCs and/or streaming files off the net, or networked PC/Server. Pretty much some of those cause are
the ones I listed above.

NOT ANYMORE

Played FLAC off a USB drive, haha, USB. I'll leave that to you to figure it out for yourself how to fix that. And NO not by necessarily changing to CD instead.

It was going to make space on a HD for my music files, but its working fine as a server itself.
With a 470mps of datarate it should be

[pixelthis]

And taking at least reasonable care of your CDs, DVDs, anything on disc does NOT apply to someone with a brain ?

The best way to take care of them is to burn them to HD and store them, they make great backups.
I used to record my vinyl with a NAD cassette deck, save the records for listening sessions. Same thing

There's many ways to mistreat, and not take care to store discs in their cases etc.For many people who have a large CD collection, most would take at least some
reasonable care of their discs because they value the time/money they spent buying them
Should they encounter a disc which is unplayable on their player, that's 1 in 100, or 1000.
Even then, that doesn't mean that disc cannot play on another player.
There are even disc scratch repairers and cleaners.

Good luck with those

Your argument is justifying that disc players should be robust enough to play a disc regardless on how the discs themselves are mistreated by the user, that
the problem will always be the player, never the user.

Thats not my argument at all, it doesnt matter how the scratch got there,
its still a detriment to playback.
Ever piss off a woman who knows you're into audio?
FIRST thing they go for is the CD collection.
OF course thats better than the few that tried to kill me

That is the same as saying you should still be able to start your car and drive down to the shop regardless on how poor condition you've kept the engine.

Its going to break on you no matter how good you take care of it, and it doesnt matter if its your fault, you still wont get to the store

Whilst at the same time any flac setup will be more reliable and stable, and that if it doesn't work, it's "stupidity".

YOU GOT IT ACE.
AN alien once told CAPT Kirk that he had passed a test they had given him.
"well, what about my dead crew members" ? he asked
THEY told him that "flying around in space " wasnt for sissies"
Same with home audio, and especially HOME COMPUTERS

No matter how good you claim your flac files are, or any other file you can rip off a disc, no matter how technology progresses, there element of "stupidity" will always
be there. You can always count of computer illiterate people who make "stupidity"
mistakes than a CD player skip a section of 1 disc due to a bad scratches, and
dirt.

I HAVE BEEN AROUND THIS STUFF since before you were a stain on your dads bathroom wall.
And I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE too "stupid" to use a CD player, much less a computer.
I cant be bothered by by such, like the ape in 2001 I am just going to take my new toys and enjoy them without worrying about the great unwashed.
They will suffer the fate they always have
[pixelthis]

So you actually expect every CD player to actually play a totally "rotted" CD ?

They wont play it, doesnt matter what I "expect"

That's the same expectation from people whinge to their mechanic as to why their car has broken down. Then it is found that they never changed their oil and
filter.

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THOSE?

[pixelthis]

Sorry, you cannot speak for everyone on this planet. Not everyone is going to throw away their precious CD, DVD, Vinyl, cassette collections just to buy an iPodish
flac player. Go ahead, to your backyard start a fire and throw your disc collections in.

NO, THEY WILL PUT THEM UP AT GARAGE SALES, trying to make a few bucks.
And why burn them? They make great backups
[pixelthis]

You obviously never met a vinyl enthusiast. Try to convince them that their vinyl is worthless, here's a flac drive, use this, they'll send their dogs on you to rip that
precious little flac drive to pieces.

Guess I had better get down to the pet store, I DIDNT KNOW VINYL ENTHUSIAISTS
were required to have flac drive ripping to pieces dogs.
I have a nice vinly collection, a tad small, I lost a thousand in a flood, but do you
have pristine discs you bought new in 1974?
I thought not
[pixelthis]

There will always be overlooked and least understood issues in home audio, regardles on what the issue is.

??? I need to hook you up with a guy named sir talky

Not everyone will be totally aware of every issue, technology in home audio.[ I'm sure a large proportion of home audio people find that their priority is mainly
listening pleasure.

Those people were hunted down and killed decades ago.
Nowadays the main priority is spending thousands on crap like power cords, cables,
and tube amps that can't perform as good as a radio out of a 1934 Sears catalog

How that is achieved due to equipment is one thing, as long as they have their means to listen to their music, where it sits on the shelf, or what sector in their
PC, doesn't matter to them.

Because they misplace it and forget they own it in about a week
[pixelthis]

With the increasing proportion of overweight and obese people in the world, it would do them a favour if they got up and changed discs haha.

Now I know you're not an American
[pixelthis]

CAN ? sometimes. Always ? definately not. Most of the highest quality CD players are single disc players as opposed to disc changers. Research the build on the top
end models you will notice they are heavier, better quality circuitary, and more circuitary
is used due to the more space available in the unit, which is not taken up by the rest
of the tray.

The most expensive players are single tray units.
But their specs arent any different than a five disc changer.
At least any you could discern unless you're a German shepard.
The circutry in higher end players is quite good.
The circutry in a five disc changer not as good, but you could A/B them and not be able to tell a difference

When was the last time you actually saw a 400+1 CD changer listed as the "best quality" CD playing in a year ? You probably better just keep on searching.

Not talking about those, tho I do use a 300 disc for storage of my favorite CD's.
Works well for that

[pixelthis]

Dude where on earth do you think "how" those files get transfered to all those USB keys and drives ? TELEPATHY ??? No force of will !! that's it, no wait, you can buy a
USB drive that already has your entire music collection on the shelf.
Practically everything these days has a USB plug

PDAs, iPods, cellFONES all come with an installation CD, hmm I wonder what those are for, I'll play them on my CD player, because I expect my CD player to play Windows
You can toss em if you dont have a computer, you wont need them

You actually need a means to transfer the music onto the blank usb drive/key, orphone in the first place.

Not if you download it off of the web.

One needs software to be installed on a "PC", to "transfer" their files onto their USB drive, or phone. Yes you could just dial up your phone company and pay for each
song, I'm sure that is the cheapest option to get music onto your phone.

In Japan they access the web with their portable devices.
I CAN DO THE SAME WITH MY CELL

Oh that's it, nooo that's not necessary, I can do that via e-mail. Let's see do I need a PC for that ? Nooo I'll e-mail without using a PC, and even if I was able to do that, I'd have the
expectation that the rest of the world can use the same method also.

YOU CANT ACCESS YOUR EMAIL on your cell while walking down the street
(usually intro traffic)?
[pixelthis]

Nope, you've missed quoted what I said.

Got nothing, dont even understand it

30 GB, 60 GB etc, will be nothing in 10 years time. 1 TB will be nothing in 20.

And a 650 mb form factor will still be around? Thanks for proving my point.
Still use a 2.5 mb floppy? Of course not, but they were quite usefull once

Good chance that space on a disc will be irrelavant in 20 years time, when there are technologies beyond drives.
that tech is already here, just expenisve

Watch Red vs Blue there's an episode on technology, they pretty much haveaddressed that topic well.

The only "red vs blue" we have here is red (republican) vs blue(democrat)
if you're getting advice from this show, delete it from your playlist

[pixelthis]

Just because your town is having cd shops close down doesn't dictate themusic world economy.

I have NEVER seen anything like this, and its not just my town, its happening everywhere

There's a good reason why some close down, and that is competition. The larger shops attract customers to theirs because they can sell it cheaper. At the end
of the day customers like to pay less, it goes the same with supermarkets.
The larger market chains also have the power and money to bully the smaller shops
into closing down using legal/scare tactics.

COMPETITION is whats closing them down, competition from DOWNLOADS

You also forget the tens of 1000's of websites where you can buy CDs/DVDs, etc online. Many of them make good profits and sales. There are less overheads, so they
can afford to offer discounts.

AND MANY OFFER DOWNLOADS ALSO
[pixelthis]

No it's your eyes that are shut, and praying that your little precious USB drives and flac players take over the world, and that CD dies tomorrow, don't hold your breath.
I actually hope CD surrives, its a great way to buy music and you ahve a backup when you burn it to flac.
But I am not hopefull.
THE NEXT RECCESSION will be a "gut ripper", CD sales will tank completely, people will be more concerned with other luxeries , LIKE FOOD.
And downloading will take over completely
[pixelthis]

Shops can charge whatever they want. Same as supermarkets for groceries. Some shops will undercharge their items to bring in more customers, which is taking away
businesses from smaller shops, which can be a contributing factor to why they
are closing down (including your area).
Shops can only charge what people will pay, they dont teach capitalism where you live?

Yes downloads are increasing, but a lot of music is downloaded "illegally".

Which is totally irelevant to anything
[pixelthis]

Dead depends on your definition, companies will still produce vinyl, because there are just too many vinyl owners. YOUNG as well as old. Many Dj's use vinyl, and they
are not baby boomers.

As a mass market medium vinyl is dead trust me on this

Much music come from digital masters, regardless on what format you are finally listening to, whether it is vinyl, CD, or flac. The fact that CD is transfered from a
digital Master, you convert your music from CD to flac, so in essence, it's a copy of a
copy.
Which doesnt matter for digital media.
The point is that turntable worshipers love vinyl because its "analog" , which it is,
but its analog from a digital source which kinda defeats the purpose
[pixelthis]

It is more likely that every one of the audio review members will be dead way before the world stops making CDs.

they gonna have a nuclear war or something?

I love CDs also, I also have music on hard drives, I like both. I'd rather have both, if there is a problem with one, I have the other.

SAME HERE, and totally irrelevant to anything BTW

The asteroid will hit with many things eventually. With CD however people are just not going to throw away their players, and CD collections, they spent way too much
money for it. If you believe it is not worth having a CD collection because it's so much
more "convenient" having a flac server/player, then you might as well throw away
your flac servers/players because there are companies working right now to supercede
that technology.

No they wont "throw it away" they will sell it at yard sales, you're repeating yourself

The rate of technology increases, rise every year. We're all becoming dinosaurs sooner than we wish, I'd rather spend the remaining time I have on here enjoying listening to
music, than worrying about when a certain technology is going to be replaced.

Then why this rediculously long post on tech being replaced?

With the way the economy is going, and how greater job we know the government is at "fixing" the economy, there will always be a good proportion of people who
cannot afford to buy the latest technology all of the time, so there will always be
a low-end market.

LOW end market?
Crack hos', you're talkin about crack hos', right?

In addition since you've been around the block a few times, if you owned a crt tv in the past you would know it lasted a lot longer than the newer screens now.
Just like a new car, there are more electronic parts, more things can go wrong.
However the sad part about these tv screen making companies is that they can
make their product a lot better, with better parts, and make their screens last
longer. They choose not to do that because they want to make money. They'd
see no sense in building tvs that would last 20 years. If they really wanted to do
that, they'd have to charge a ridicious price to the consumer, which the majority
just won't pay.

SO I just wasted a ton of time arguing with someone who doesnt know what hes talking about, but it aint the first time.

A well designed CRT will last, if your lucky , four to ten years, if you're lucky.
A LCD has a lifespan of twenty years, and thats because of the backlight, replace
that and it will go another twenty.
Solid state is always more trouble free than tubes, there are no moving parts on a MODERN tv, they are made from glass(silicon) literally.
The munber of "parts" in electronics is of no matter, your proc on your computer has MILLIONS of transistors, none of them EVER BREAK.

[pixelthis]

A change to stop making CDs, overnight, and for shops to stop selling them ?OVERNIGHT ? No, no one is going to believe that.

no, AND YOU CANT DROP AN OFFICE BUILDING IN A FEW HOURS either.
Or have the Berlin wall come down..
When CD came out records disapeared OVERNIGHT.
When DVD came out LASER disapeared OVERNIGHT.
And when lcd got to a 600 buck price point for a 32in, CRT disapeared as a main display OVERNIGHT.
As a matter of fact most things in human affairs happen OVERNIGHT

There's no one sole company that decides the fate of the CD format, because there are too many companies.

no sole company decides ANYTHING, the market decides what is viable and whats not.
And if the market decides CD is dead, IT WILL BE DEAD.
Simple as that :1:

blackraven
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I think CD's will always be around just like vinyl is still around. The market and companies may be smaller, but I dont think it will completely disappear. Not every one is computer savy. And many people I know, enjoy going to a record store to browse music and listen to samples of new CD's. The CD stores that I frequent here in the Twin cities are always busy.
Cheapo Records, Electric Fetus.

OzzieAudiophile
04-18-2008, 03:58 AM
Of course Cds will always be around, like Vinyl.

Of course not everyone is computer savvy, not everyone will be, end of story.

Bring out 90 million flac servers and internet service providers, you cannot force
people to download music if they choose not to.

There's so many people that just never will, there's so many people out there
that got lots of money that they don't need to. There's lots of people who
just rather buy CDs, either in a retail shop, or online (to be delivered).

Vinyl is not dead in the sense that all companies do not produce them anymore.
There's too many vinyl users out there that swear by it, and aren't simply going
to throw them away, when CD stormed in back and, and certainly not today.
No matter how many times you say vinyl is dead. They'll keep making them
regardless on what the proportion is. There are high end hi fi companies that
are still devloping new and improved vinyl players, because there is still a market
out there, way WAY after this generation, same goes for CD.

You might as throw away your precious flac players and servers, because that
will be dead in 10 years time. Everything will eventually go, regardless on
when it comes out. Since CD has made a huger impact in the world, it's lifespan
will most likely be much longer than any previous format. No matter how much
you scream and moan that it's already dead.

pixelthis

Doesnt matter how the scratches got there.
I used to play my CD's IN A CAR, no way to avoid some scratches

It matters if you are not able to take care of the discs you buy. Well you are playing
your CDs in a car that is moving when you're driving, not quite the same as a
stationary CD player at home. You'll notice going over huge bumps over the road
can also cause discs to skip, but I guess you'll blame the scratch on the disc for that.

No way to avoid some scratches ? If you're able to take good care of your discs,
the minimum amount of scratches will get on the disc, and should be still playable.

And as stated earlier, there are many scratch repairers out there, so it's not quite the
end of the world.

pixelthis

DUH!
When does class start on how to flush a toilet?

Only 8 year olds argue like that. However they say people who claim that they
are so old, would also argue like that. Since you claim you're so much older,
god still waiting for the five bucks you borrowed off him.

Perhaps you need a lesson in manners as well as reasoning-101.

pixelthis

Never had any trouble with my XP

Yet.

pixelthis

Never had" the blue screen of death", not once.
What kind of one lung computer are you using?
AND EVERYTHING IS BACKED UP, btw

Yeah that is because wouldn't even know when you get them. Many people don't.

What kind of computer I am using ? Irrelevant, there's nothing on it that I would
be concerned about if there was a problem. Backups and on more than 1 form of
media.

pixelthis

THATS WHY YOU BACK STUFF UP

Still no absolute guarrantee. I suppose a rageaholic like yourself would have no
sympathy for people who get power surges, or fires, theft, accidents, and lose even
their backups.

pixelthis

SOUNDS GREAT FOR BACKUPS
And HD is bocoming more stable every year, and files are retreivable from a crashed drive

Not good news for price for those discs. Not all files can always be retrievable from a
crashed drive, it's unlikely to ever happen due to mechanical failures or surges.
Since the hard drives are getting larger the temptation to put one's eggs all in the 1
basket, there's just that much more to lose.

Data lost on one CD-R 800 MB (100 - 300 songs), compared to TB hard drives (100,000
to 400,000 songs) ? Even if it's backed up on 2 drives or more, Murphy's Law applies.

pixelthis

Thats not my argument at all, it doesnt matter how the scratch got there,
its still a detriment to playback.

Still doesn't excuse CD misuse and abuse. If you have a Cd player that cannot
handle a small amount of scratches, then better look at the player being used.
Some CD players are more capable of error correction on discs, not all players
are created equal.

pixelthis

I cant be bothered by by such, like the ape in 2001

bothered by by such ?

Yes I do believe it is the much older age settling in.

pixelthis

Its going to break on you no matter how good you take care of it, and it doesnt matter if its your fault, you still wont get to the store

With that reasoning, you must be one of those who wouldn't even bother to look after it
because you believe it's going to break down.

pixelthis

Not talking about those, tho I do use a 300 disc for storage of my favorite CD's.
Works well for that

Works, yes. Not the best CD player that is possible.

pixelthis

Got nothing, dont even understand it

It's the age thing again.

pixelthis

YOU CANT ACCESS YOUR EMAIL on your cell while walking down the street
(usually intro traffic)?

I choose not to use that option because it's an unnecessary cost. Yeah go ahead,
let your cell, and your PDAs, etc run your life for you because you're too dependent
on them. I'm sure if you lost them, you wouldn't be able to even wipe your technology-
infested can. The growth coming out of your right ear is not a pimple buddy, it's
the result of using your cell every 5 seconds.

pixelthis

I have NEVER seen anything like this, and its not just my town, its happening everywhere

Sorry watching one episode of CNN stating what happens in one single down about
some CD players shut down, doesn't filter across to the rest of the world like Ebola.

pixelthis

And downloading will take over completely

Now I'm convinced that is your actual cult. Perhaps people like you will panic overnight
and stop buying this or that.

pixelthis

And if the market decides CD is dead, IT WILL BE DEAD.
Simple as that

Just what is composition of "the market" ? A cult ? With all the money that music
companies are still making, CDs will be many people's favourite media, and there will
be people who will never download. You won't live to see CD being dead in terms
of not one more being produced, ever, so it's nothing you have to be concerned about.
CDs will be around way after you're gone.

GMichael
04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
How about Sir T vs. Beefy? My CRT ran out of ink on some of those!
If I get a chance, I'll start a poll to see who is thought of as the master typer.

OzzieAudiophile
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
What better usage of time ?

Well it's a bit of a change from cable.

E-Stat
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Of course Cds will always be around, like Vinyl...Of course not everyone is computer savvy, not everyone will be, end of story.
Naturally.

You might as throw away your precious flac players and servers, because that will be dead in 10 years time. Everything will eventually go, regardless on when it comes out.
Agreed. The need to *preserve* space by spending the time to reformat everything has already become moot. Terabyte drives can be purchased today for $200 and Blu Ray burners can be had for under $300.

rw

pixelthis
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
I remember a man saying that a train could only go so fast before the speed would kill the occupants.
Looking at CD as a music playback format is wrong.
CD became a computer storage device when CDrom became popular.
And people can download music, burn it to CD.
And they can put a lot of hours of MP3 on said CD.
BUT heres the problem, as a computer storage device CD is obsolete
650 to 750 mb in a gigabyte world.
The CD form factor is coming to a close, sadly.
Hope I AM WRONG, but I WOULDNT BE SURPRIZED
Not everybody has a computer, true, internet cafe and computer kiosks for them, or they can use their phone or PDA. THE Japanese are using wireless devices already.
Remember, a CD can only hold 650 mb.
When was the last time you used a 2.5 floppy? :1:

E-Stat
04-22-2008, 04:45 AM
BUT heres the problem, as a computer storage device CD is obsolete
You really need to get out more often. Go to any computer store and observe on what media most applications are found. I work for a large software developer. Virtually all our products are likewise found on CD media.

The CD form factor is coming to a close, sadly.
Hope I AM WRONG, but I WOULDNT BE SURPRIZED
Not to worry, you are wrong. DVDs and Blu Ray discs use the same 120 mm form factor. They will also be around for a while.

Remember, a CD can only hold 650 mb.
The correct answer is 700 mb.

When was the last time you used a 2.5 floppy?
Never. They came in 8", 5.25", and 3.5" form factors.

rw