I been listen to new and old stuff [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I been listen to new and old stuff

3-LockBox
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Iron & Wine - The Shepard's Dog - this is pretty killer stuff. Very atmospheric. Reminds me of Grizzly Bear a tad, but Grizzly Bear is mostly unrealized ideas, Iron & Wine is polished and organic sounding at the same time.

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk - This quite a collection of different styles. Sisters Of The Moon and Brown Eyes are killer tunes, and Buckingham's stuff, while quirky, have a real fire in them, and they're least dated sounding of his entire FM output, prolly cuz only one of these songs ever made it to the air. I've spun this a bunch lately. I only wish my copy had the 6:30 version of Sara, instead of the edit.

Yoke Shire - Masque Of Shadows - Had the song Shape Of A Dancer on one of Demetrio's comps, and decided only recently to go ahead and get this one. Boy, I like this album a lot, so much so that I decided to get their latest offering from a couple of years ago, The Witching Hour.

Spoon - Girls Can Tell - this is a very good band, I'm surprised no one ever talks about these guys around here;) I'm usually behind the curve. This is a very mainstream sounding pop/rock album, given its indy status. GA GA GA GA GA has worn a little thin with me. I think I'll pick up Gimme Friction next.

Radiohead - In Rainbows - Yeah, its mellow for them, but I like it, short though it may be. I know I've suggested some bands do some self-editing in the past and not put out 79 minute albums with 15 minutes of noise as art crap, but it seems that quite a few acts have put out albums under 40 minutes, and I feel cheated. I'm fickle that way.

Police - Outlandos D'Amour - This album, as it turns out, is one of my all time faves. I never tire of it. All of these songs are classics, even the instrumentals. The only duff tune is Born In The 50s, but it doesn't stink.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Like Bad News - Ok, these guys album titles are getting a tad insufferable. But do these guys remind anyone else a tad bit of Supertramp? I mean in the vocal department; the way they harmonize. Of course, Supertramp was never this quirky, but their lesser known stuff have their better vocal peformances. Every now and then I'll here MM turn a phrase that makes me think of Supertramp for some reason. Prolly just me.

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away - is haunting me. I can't stop playing it; at least once a week since I've owned it. I think of PWRPOPGUY when I play this for some reason. I love this album enough to pick up Chutes Too Narrow, but was not bowled over by that one.

RPWL - The RPWL Experience - intentionally anti-war, anti-capitalist, anti-western culture, anti-interesting. It has it moments, but this has been my biggest disappointment so far this year. Its not because of its political nature either, cuz The Flaming Lips have made political statements on their last album, but didn't forget the part where they are playing pop music and are trying to appeal to people wanting to listen to music. Listening to music shouldn't take so much effort.:sleep:

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

thereyet
04-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Gimme Fiction is my favorite Spoon album, do check it out. I do like the horn section treatment on Ga x5 but Gimme Fiction has a lot more raw feel to it.

As Swish or someone else said yesterday...this band is good enough to have all their recordings IMHO.

Just bought Iron & Wine - The Shepard's Dog, The Shins - Wincing The Night Away , I love them both. I guess I am not so behind the curve around here after all.

I don't hear Supertramp at all with MM.

thereyet

jasn
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
OK, I'll come out of the shadows...

New: Sun Kil Moon: April. It clearly compliments "Ghosts...", but first listen seemed a bit more homogeneous, less varied. No disappointment, no matter. I was actually going to start a thread about this release but will not suffer the indignity of a 3-4 post topic and put it here.

Old: Lee Michaels: S/T Like 60's blues rock? Like the Hammond? Like it LOUD? Then this is for you. Just Lee and his equally as crazy drummer Frosty (great name). It's has a few recognizable cuts like "Heighty Hi" and "stormy Weather", but all are great. It's a rare and expensive CD to find, so I suspect many may not have heard the whole album. I found it for download on Amazin for $8. Not bad.

I like I&W: The Shepards Dog too, but much prefer Our Endless Summer Days. Spoon's Gimme Fiction is in my top ten this century, and now I have to go listen for Supertramp in MM. I'll report back.

3-LockBox
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't hear Supertramp at all with MM. Admittedly, its more of a sensation than it is, "they sound just like" cuz they aren't anything alike. Like I said, prolly just me.

Jim Clark
04-15-2008, 05:19 AM
That's kinda funny 'cuz I pulled out Chutes Too Narrow on Sunday. I've had this disc for years, provided by a perennial RR bud who thought I should listen to it. I listened to it originally but it obviously made no favorable impressions since it's been relegated to an under the bed storage box ever since.

Not really sure what made me inclined to put the disc in the player, but I did. My brain must have changed during those years cuz that disc is awesome. Not really sure why it took so long for me to get it. Better late than never I suppose.

Also pulled Maria Taylor's 11:11 out and was reminded how incredibly awesome about 3/4 of that album is.

Like you, a little old, a little new. Overall, a whole lot of listening.

Regards,
jc

dean_martin
04-15-2008, 07:29 AM
As of late, most of my listening has been on the road. In heavy rotation now are:

Youth & Young Manhood - Kings of Leon. I picked this up (and a few others) recently with a Barnes and Noble 40% off cds coupon. I liked Aha Shake Heartbreak but was disappointed with Because of the Times. Y&YMh has at least 7 strong tracks that either rock like the best Stones or groove like good southern rock blues.

Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones. Just Rock 'n Roll.

Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan. Subterranean Homesick Blues and It's Alright Ma still seem relevant to me. I find Bob Dylan's 115th Dream hilarious. It weaves the discovery of America, Moby Dick and modern society into a comedic adventure. I thought I had lost interest in the long song, but this one has long tracks that hold my attention.

Is This It? - The Strokes. I was behind the curve on this one. When I finally decided to get it last year, I splurged for the import with the cool cover art and bonus dvd. It was worth it, imo. This one has probably stayed in my car changer the longest. I don't listen to it as much anymore, but I still wake up some mornings with one of its tunes in my head. This morning it was New York City Cops which I think was left off the initial U.S. release.

I have some newer stuff on vinyl, but I have to be home to listen to it.

3-LockBox
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Is This It? - The Strokes. I was behind the curve on this one.

I can't tell ya how many times I've picked that one up, then put it back down. I've heard tracks off of it, on the radio, off of comps, other people I know have it. It wouldn't be much of a 'new' listening experience if I owned it, but I always feel like I should have it. Maybe I'll pick it up one day.

bobsticks
04-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Lately that Hayward Williams disc that I mentioned a few weeks ago has made the tops of the playlist. I'll slip that in to a few of the "Mystery Discs" as they go out this week.Great stuff.

Billy Bragg & Wilco's Mermaid Lounge gets alot of play too.

Unfortunately, I've been running around quite a bit lately leading to a pile of unlistened-to old stuff including shiny ones from Black Uhuru, Ella & Billie, Aphex Twins, Paul Westerberg, The Helio Sequence, The Dreamers, Loudon Wainwright, Wu-Tang, OK Bamboo, The Long Blondes, and Astor Piazzolla. I hope to sample at least a few of these over the next few days.

I also picked up the new ones from Moby, NIN, and Justin Townes Earle. Y'all countrified boys will love Earle. It's "old school", if that term can be applied to the genre.

Oh yeah, I checked out The Life Pursuit by Belle and Sebastian...couldn't stop thinking of the Partridge Family. Meh...

dean_martin
04-15-2008, 08:30 AM
I can't tell ya how many times I've picked that one up, then put it back down. I've heard tracks off of it, on the radio, off of comps, other people I know have it. It wouldn't be much of a 'new' listening experience if I owned it, but I always feel like I should have it. Maybe I'll pick it up one day.

I was familiar with the initial hype, but "Last Nite" may have been the only track I'd heard so the music itself was kind of new to me. That's one reason why I splurged for the import. The other reason was the cover.

Davey
04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
OK, I'll come out of the shadows...

New: Sun Kil Moon: April. It clearly compliments "Ghosts...", but first listen seemed a bit more homogeneous, less varied. No disappointment, no matter. I was actually going to start a thread about this release but will not suffer the indignity of a 3-4 post topic and put it here.

Hey Shadowman, that is a nice one. Agree completely. Meanders and mumbles along a bit the first couple listens, in that always kind of charming ... and kind of not so charming Kozelek way, but really starting to soak in for me, especially the longer songs with the guitar workouts. And sound is pretty nice for a new CD. Though I still respect him for much of his great sounding work with indie bands, John Golden has been at the mastering console for some way too loud CDs that I've heard lately (especially the last Shearwater record he remastered for Matador release). But not this one, it surely won't be mistaken for something from the early 90s before the loudness war took its toll, but very nice and relaxed sound overall with some real dynamics and musical space left in the transfer. Bet the vinyl will sound nice too. Mine came with a bonus disc, just alternate versions of 4 songs, and I haven't spent much time with it, but my current two favorites from the main disc, "Tonight in Bilbao" and "Tonight the Sky" do sound great, more stripped down, nighttime, mostly just Mark and guitar without the Crazy Horse backing. Love both versions. Been pretty much on repeat whenever I'm home and listening to music for the last couple weeks, but in the car it's another story ...

Enter the Sandman. Lately I've been spending a bunch of time with those early 90s records by Morphine. Man, some great stuff, still hard to believe these guys were so popular back in the day. Times have sure changed. "Cure for Pain" has been rocking my car speakers for days in the little Acura. You see I met a devil named Buena Buena! Man, great sound even in the car, surrounds you in cool music, percolating bass, real shimmer on the cymbals, fantastic set of songs, some of the same darkness that hangs over a lot of newer bands I like such as the National, and that voice of Sandman, and the totally wack mix of instruments with the amazing sax playing of Dana Colley driving much of the music, like the one below. Love it....but most of you probably already know the sad ending. Exit the Sandman (http://www.salon.com/people/obit/1999/07/21/sandman/print.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP8QhblSkRI

jasn
04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Sad ending is right. I'll dig that one out myself, thx. I posted this elsewhere, but have you listened to The Black Keys? They segue pretty well, IMO.

bobsticks
04-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Of course, Lucinda Williams and Black Uhuru are fantastic. Y'all know that, but I'm sayin' that new Moby is solid. The big winner for the night may have been The Long Blondes' Someone To Drive You Home. If you liked nobody's 2007 YEC you'll be all about this. The ladies flaunt their influences which clealy range from Joy Division to Nico to Nancy Sinatra to Del Shannon...and the Blasters. These chicks rawk.

Shuta Haunuma's OK Bamboo on the other hand...um, it sucks...and I like dissonant and experimental music but...this sucks...caveat emptor.

ForeverAutumn
04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
My current favourite new CD is Jim Bryson's, Where the Bungalow's Roam. Some of you may recall me joining Bryson's virtual street team back in 2003 (has it really been that long?!) when The North Side Benches came out. In fact, I think that I graced a few of you with copies.

Well, Where The Bungalows Roam is a wonderful follow-up. Good songs, nice hooks. Fans of Ryan Adams and the like should check this one out.

You can stream the album on his web site (http://www.jimbryson.org/index.shtml).

bobsticks
08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
So...outta a certain undefined musical ennui I've been lurking the cellars of ye old collection pulling out rarities and the lost. I discovered one and rediscovered another.

Lisa Gerard & Patrick Cassidy's Immortal Memory is the album that Portishead shoulda made instead of "Three". If you'r in the mood for some ambi-pop with a touch of ethereal je ne sais quoi and a bit of melancholia then this is the one.

http://image.fishpond.co.nz/652637240320-325x325.jpg

And, does anybody like Greg Laswell? That in question is one o' them promos that my peeps held for me...I believe it ultimately was released as Through Toledo. Kinda like a Jeff Buckley combo with The Smiths with a healthy dose of Prozac. Good stuff, at least for the moment, and I'm surprised I never read about here. Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ezmy3AOd8

word

Auricauricle
08-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Tangerine Dream: Pergamon: Live concert at Palast der Republik, East Berlin, 1980

Afrocelts: Seed: African-Celtic electronica, fusion.

Nigel Kennedy: The Four Seasons, Vivaldi: A noteworthy new take on an old piece

Pink Floyd: Ummagumma: Always a classic....

Familiar with this one, 'Sticks?

Ex Lion Tamer
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Obner has this mega-thread going where people are uploading 10-song samplers of their favorite bands. I think the thread is up to 38 pages and there are probably 200 mixes to choose from. Really quite incredible. I have been pigging out; probably downloaded 40 to 50 samplers; here are a few that I'm enjoying..

Sixteen Horsepower
The Saints
The Drive by Truckers
Pylon
Teenage Fanclub
Beth Orton
The Angry Samoans
Primal Scream

All bands I've been curious about but had heard little to nothing from...and I've got at least 5 times the above to sort through and discover - it's been a godsend.

Stone
08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
And as soon as I get some time, you can get the Billy Ray Cyrus tenner I'm putting together too.

Spancticles
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
i been listening to pure reason revolution
the dark third
i was told by my friend that he heard about it here
and that i should thank you
so thank you

bobsticks
08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Familiar with this one, 'Sticks?

Ja, "Duality" is a good one, prolly even more a complete thought than "Immortal...". I could be wrong, but I believe that "Duality" is actually a work in and of itself, for it's own sake as it were, wereas "Immortal" is an offshoot project from a soundtrack. I like 'em both.

Ex Lion Tamer
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
And as soon as I get some time, you can get the Billy Ray Cyrus tenner I'm putting together too.

Make that a twofer with a tenner of Mylie included and I'm in.