Nominal Ohm rating [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nominal Ohm rating

Mikereyno
03-06-2004, 07:52 PM
I have the Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. I'm looking at getting speakers that would be 6 ohm nominal impedance for both fronts and both surrounds. The center is rated 4 ohm nominal impedance. Should I have any problems? Is there anything special I should be doing when setting up?

Thanks,

Mike

This Guy
03-07-2004, 08:01 AM
You should be fine. The yamaha might have one of those four ohm switches on the back, you'd want to switch it for the center channel if it has one. Also, use the the parametric equalizer in the yamaha receiver so it makes sure all channels are at the rght volume at your listening position.

-Joey

Geoffcin
03-07-2004, 08:06 AM
I have the Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. I'm looking at getting speakers that would be 6 ohm nominal impedance for both fronts and both surrounds. The center is rated 4 ohm nominal impedance. Should I have any problems? Is there anything special I should be doing when setting up?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't think you'll have any problem at all. Yamaha receivers are know to have good power supplies. I am interested in the center your using though. Most all center channel speakers are designed to work with receivers, so a 4ohm speaker is very unusual.

bturk667
03-07-2004, 07:48 PM
My recommendation: Try to buy 8 ohm speakers. They will work much better with any mid-fi HT receiver. Sure your Yamaha will work, but it will work better with easier loads!