Songs That You Were Turned On To Because of a Commercial [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Songs That You Were Turned On To Because of a Commercial

Audio Girl
03-06-2004, 05:37 PM
As mentioned in my thread about The Cure, I recently was intrigued by their song "Pictures of You" because of the HP Digital commercial. Anybody else here meet a song that you liked because of a television commercial (and are willing to admit it)? ;-)
If so, which one? Any song you've grown to despise because of an overplayed commercial?

Ag

tentoze
03-06-2004, 07:20 PM
As mentioned in my thread about The Cure, I recently was intrigued by their song "Pictures of You" because of the HP Digital commercial. Anybody else here meet a song that you liked because of a television commercial (and are willing to admit it)? ;-)
If so, which one? Any song you've grown to despise because of an overplayed commercial?

Ag
I actually had never heard Nick Drake until the VW commercial that had Pink Moon on it. Thank you, V-dub.

:cool:

-Jar-
03-06-2004, 09:35 PM

Ag

there have been a lot of cool songs in commercials recently.."Pictures of You" is one of the best.. I also love the video for that song..

Most of the time, I hear tunes that I already know..

Flaming Lips "Do You Realize?" .. what was that in?
Modest Mouse "Gravity Rides" in that Nissan Quest commercial.
Stereolab "Parsec" was in a VW Bug commercial (the one where it was spinning like a UFO)
Lush "Sweetness and Light" was in some other VW commercial..
then there was Hooverphonic's "Renaissance Affair" (also in a VW commercial) - I didn't know that one at the time.. and I tracked it down.. took a while.. I found out the band, but then I had to track down the song by listening to sound clips on Cdnow..

I've never grown tired of a song due to a commercial.. well.. the one song on that Mazda commercial got on my nerves.. you know which one I'm talking about.."days go by.. still I think of you..." or something like that.. :p

-jar-

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize?" -- Mitsubishi Galant, I believe. It's not that I hadn't heard the song before -- I had, I just hadn't given it the attention that it deserved. What's funny is that the song is actually kind of dark but a moment later, "Do you realize...that everyone you know...some day...will die."

But the commercial is one of those inspired moments -- it's a really good commercial, from the entertainment perspective. A guy drives around, strangers smile and wave to him, he doesn't know why. Near the end of the commercial, cut to the kid in the back seat, who smiles and waves at everyone.

Whooptee
03-07-2004, 02:47 PM
J. Ralph (or Spy) - One Million Miles Away

It's used in a VW commercial where the guy is driving hurriedly to get somewhere and keeps running into obstacles. He finally arrives at a church just in time to stop a wedding.

There was also a song used in a Target commercial, where there was a group of British palace guards dancing to a cool little post-punk number. Turns out that that particular song was recorded by studio musicians just for that commercial.

John

audiobill
03-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Yes. "My Baby just Cares for Me" from the Chanel #5 commercial of a few years back piqued my interest and, eventually, had me search out and buy Nina Simone's CD with that song.

Btw., for all who are interested, there is a very cool site on songs from commercials that alphabetizes several of them.

Here it is.... http://www.songtitle.info/archives.htm

Cheers,
Bill

unleasHell
03-10-2004, 01:47 PM
J. Ralph (or Spy) - One Million Miles Away

It's used in a VW commercial where the guy is driving hurriedly to get somewhere and keeps running into obstacles. He finally arrives at a church just in time to stop a wedding.

John

I love that song and could not find it anywhere, got it off napster before they died along long time ago....

dph1965
03-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Turned me on to Nick Drake just as his library was being re-released