Started the audition process...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Started the audition process......

Mark111867
04-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi folks. I put a post up a few weeks ago regarding speakers in the $1000 range. I did some listening yesterday. I listened to the Paradigm Studio 20, some floorstanders in the Paradigm Monitor line, A Quad bookshelf, some B&W floorstanders as well as bookshelf speakers. The speakers that sounded the best to me were the B&W CM1 bookshelf mini monitors. In my mind, they sounded what a $1000 pair of speakers should sound like. Not harsh, open, and a nice soundstage. They are small, having a 5" woofer and stand just under 12". As good as they sounded, I am going to be running these off an NAD C720Bee 50 watt, 2 channel receiver, so I am a bit concerned about the speaker's sensitivity of 84db. They have an impedance of 8 ohms. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? If so, how many watts are you feeding them? Thanks.

-Mark

blackraven
04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Did you listen too the $1,100 pair of B&W 684 floor standers? If you did, I find it interesting that you prefered the Mini Monitors over them. If you have a chance, listen to the NHT Classic 3's and 4's. I compared the B&W bookshelfs to the Classic 3's and prefered the Classic 3's. Much warmer with deeper bass and a really smooth and effortless sound. They list at about $850 and can be found for $650.

If you have a concern about the B&W's and the power, ask if you can audition the speakers at home or bring your amp to the store. NAD tends to under rate the power of their amps, plus they typically have alot of instantaneous reserve power. However, looking at the minimum requirement of 30wpc and its sensitivity, you may run into problems playing it very lound. Otherwise I think you should be OK.

audio amateur
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm feeding my 84db B&W with 10 watts. They definitely could take a lot more, but in my small room, I don't absolutely have to have more. If I'm going to have a party, yes, definitely. If you like your organ loud, yes, the amp will run out of steam.

Mark111867
04-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to put the NHT Classic 3's on my list. I'll keep you posted.

-Mark

Monkey Mouse
04-13-2008, 05:06 AM
If you have the room, the Vandersteen 1C's are awesome - and they are sensitive so 50wpc would drive them well.

Jimmy C
04-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Mark, are you the one I suggested visit Audio Visions before Steve retires? I passed the store a few days after posting, and course he was closed down. Hope ya didn't make a trip for nada :*)

Where have you demoed? Sounds like Audio Den by the speakers you mention... we have a lot of places here on the Island to listen.

I don't think you'll need much more power unless lease-breaking levels are required. I was using a pair of Revel M20s (86 dB) with a 40 watt tube amp. and never needed the volume past 10 or 11:00.

What town? I'm in Commack...

hifitommy
04-13-2008, 05:06 PM
i have spendor s3/5sof that sensitivity and i use an adcom 555II (200wpc) without fear. add a sub and youve got some great sound.

right now i am using my magnepan MMGs and the hsu sub. this could stay for a LONG time.

Mark111867
04-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Thank you all for your input. The Vandersteen 1c's are on my list, I just haven't heard them yet.

JimmyC- Yup, I was the one, I just never made it over there. I did go to Audio Den. I see there is a place in Huntington Station that carries NHT, so I'm going to touch base with them in the near future. You make a good point about volume. I rarely listen "loud", so I'll keep that in mind. I live in the Miller Place area.

Duds
04-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Hey Mark, if they arent on your list add the Von Schweikert VR-1. They sound incredible, and look fantastic as well.

Jimmy C
04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Thank you all for your input. The Vandersteen 1c's are on my list, I just haven't heard them yet.

JimmyC- Yup, I was the one, I just never made it over there. I did go to Audio Den. I see there is a place in Huntington Station that carries NHT, so I'm going to touch base with them in the near future. You make a good point about volume. I rarely listen "loud", so I'll keep that in mind. I live in the Miller Place area.

Cool... I was in yer neck of the woods today - I graduated Rocky Point and was visiting old friends.

A few stores to go to (if interested)... AmericanAudiophile.com (Rockville Center... or possibly Lynbrook - never can remember), AudioBreakthroughs (Manhasset), and maybe Harveyonline.com in Greenvale. IIRC, AA has Vandys (Vandies?). All of these places have some reasonably priced stuff.

Have fun with the hunt...

Mark111867
04-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Cool... I was in yer neck of the woods today - I graduated Rocky Point and was visiting old friends.

A few stores to go to (if interested)... AmericanAudiophile.com (Rockville Center... or possibly Lynbrook - never can remember), AudioBreakthroughs (Manhasset), and maybe Harveyonline.com in Greenvale. IIRC, AA has Vandys (Vandies?). All of these places have some reasonably priced stuff.

Have fun with the hunt...

Thanks. I'll definitely check out the places that you suggested. See you around town:) I'll keep you posted on the hunt.

-Mark

JohnMichael
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey Mark, if they arent on your list add the Von Schweikert VR-1. They sound incredible, and look fantastic as well.

A review I read said the Mo Fi Original Monitor Loudspeaker 1's are a refined version of the VR-1's. The OML 1's are excellent and they are available at Music Direct who has them on clearance at 50% off which brings them to the $600 price point. Of course that will limit your chance to audition. The OML 1 is pictured in my avatar.

Duds
04-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Sharp looking speaker for sure!

Just wanted to add that i got my VR-1's for $600, brand new. the VR stand is quite nice too, i got the pair of stands for $150

A review I read said the Mo Fi Original Monitor Loudspeaker 1's are a refined version of the VR-1's. The OML 1's are excellent and they are available at Music Direct who has them on clearance at 50% off which brings them to the $600 price point. Of course that will limit your chance to audition. The OML 1 is pictured in my avatar.

Mark111867
04-23-2008, 06:39 AM
I stopped into American Audiophile a couple of days ago and checked some speakers out. Listened to some smaller Snells, a floorstanding JM Lab, and a pair of Revel M12's. The Revels are a definite possibility. Out of all the speakers I listened to at AA, they were my favorites. I also want to listen to the B&W 685's, which I haven't heard yet. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips.

-Mark

Mark, are you the one I suggested visit Audio Visions before Steve retires? I passed the store a few days after posting, and course he was closed down. Hope ya didn't make a trip for nada :*)

Where have you demoed? Sounds like Audio Den by the speakers you mention... we have a lot of places here on the Island to listen.

I don't think you'll need much more power unless lease-breaking levels are required. I was using a pair of Revel M20s (86 dB) with a 40 watt tube amp. and never needed the volume past 10 or 11:00.

What town? I'm in Commack...

Jimmy C
04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I stopped into American Audiophile a couple of days ago and checked some speakers out. Listened to some smaller Snells, a floorstanding JM Lab, and a pair of Revel M12's. The Revels are a definite possibility. Out of all the speakers I listened to at AA, they were my favorites. I also want to listen to the B&W 685's, which I haven't heard yet. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tips.

-Mark

...that store is a mess, right? He always had decent stuff, though - does he still do the Vandersteens? Totem was there last time I visited as well.

And did he demo too loudly...lol? Turn that $h!t down!

Ultimately, the Revel house sound wasn't what I'm after (definitely a quality speaker, though!), but my theory is they are the "cleanest" sounding speaker he has. Despite the crappy set-up, cramped quarters, and a 110 dB demo, they still come out OK... heehee. Just for the record, my M20s sounded MUCH better at home, even on my lesser gear.

Oh - if you make it to "Breakthroughs" (just E. of Shelter Rock Rd.), there is another nice store on Northern Blvd., a bit West (maybe a mile, this one on the N. side) just W. of Community Blvd... they had the big Krell L.A.T.s, Audio Physic, and a bunch of fun stuff. More reasonably priced gear as well - Monitor or P.S.B. for eg., I have forgotten.

Keep us posted...

Mark111867
04-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I forgot to mention that I listened to the Vandersteen 1c's at AA also. Still preferred the Revels. Can't seem to find anyone semi local that carries NHT. Even called a few places in the city. As of right now, the Revel M12's and the B&W CM1's are definitely 2 contenders. I also hear that there is not that much of a difference between the B&W 685 and the CM1 besides size and cabinet material. If that is true, the 685 might be up there also. Enjoy the weekend.

...that store is a mess, right? He always had decent stuff, though - does he still do the Vandersteens? Totem was there last time I visited as well.

And did he demo too loudly...lol? Turn that $h!t down!

Ultimately, the Revel house sound wasn't what I'm after (definitely a quality speaker, though!), but my theory is they are the "cleanest" sounding speaker he has. Despite the crappy set-up, cramped quarters, and a 110 dB demo, they still come out OK... heehee. Just for the record, my M20s sounded MUCH better at home, even on my lesser gear.

Oh - if you make it to "Breakthroughs" (just E. of Shelter Rock Rd.), there is another nice store on Northern Blvd., a bit West (maybe a mile, this one on the N. side) just W. of Community Blvd... they had the big Krell L.A.T.s, Audio Physic, and a bunch of fun stuff. More reasonably priced gear as well - Monitor or P.S.B. for eg., I have forgotten.

Keep us posted...

StevenSurprenant
04-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi folks. I put a post up a few weeks ago regarding speakers in the $1000 range. I did some listening yesterday. I listened to the Paradigm Studio 20, some floorstanders in the Paradigm Monitor line, A Quad bookshelf, some B&W floorstanders as well as bookshelf speakers. The speakers that sounded the best to me were the B&W CM1 bookshelf mini monitors. In my mind, they sounded what a $1000 pair of speakers should sound like. Not harsh, open, and a nice soundstage. They are small, having a 5" woofer and stand just under 12". As good as they sounded, I am going to be running these off an NAD C720Bee 50 watt, 2 channel receiver, so I am a bit concerned about the speaker's sensitivity of 84db. They have an impedance of 8 ohms. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? If so, how many watts are you feeding them? Thanks.

-Mark

You might want to try Audiogon "for sale" listings for a better deal.

http://www.audiogon.com/

Just enter "B&W" or whatever brand you want in the search box.

Mark111867
05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I finally pulled the trigger today. I bought the Revel Concerta M12's. I will have them in about a week and will post a review after having them for a while. I came close to the B&W CM 1's, but the Revels were just more my speed. The treble produced by the CM1 was smooth. The midrange sounded very nice and as far as looks go, the CM1's shamed the Revels. I've been using a pair of Mirage M-290's for about 12 years now, and decided to bring them along for the audition and I'm glad I did. Now, I was really comparing "apples to apples". To me, the Revels sounded much better than the M-290's from head to toe and added weight to the music that the CM1's just couldn't do. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. Thanks again everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

-Mark