New Music Purchased -- Have You Heard These? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Music Purchased -- Have You Heard These?

Audio Girl
03-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Just placed a pretty good order at 3 difference sites (haven't hardly purchased any music in the last 6 to 9 months). Here's what I purchased, let me know your thoughts if you've heard or have a review you'd like to share:

1. Franz Ferdinand -- self titled -- CD
2. Sun Kil Moon -- Ghosts of the Great Highway -- CD
3. The Elected -- Me First -- LP
4. DrugMoney -- MTN CTY JNK -- CD
5. Ill Lit -- I Need You -- CD
6. Snow Patrol -- Final Straw -- CD
7. The Mountain Goats -- We Shall Be Healed -- LP
8. Norfolk & Western -- Dusk in Cold Parlours -- CD
9. TV On The Radio -- Desperate Youth... -- CD
10. Air -- Talkie Walkie -- LP
11. Elbow -- Cast of Thousands -- CD
12. Norfolk & Western -- Dusk In Cold Parlours
13. The Owls -- Our Hopes & Dreams

I've read some good stuff about all of these on this board or at Rocky Road or at Pitchfork or at metacritic.com. Also got to listen to most of them on insound.com's radio stream.

M

tentoze
03-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Just placed a pretty good order at 3 difference sites (haven't hardly purchased any music in the last 6 to 9 months). Here's what I purchased, let me know your thoughts if you've heard or have a review you'd like to share:

I've read some good stuff about all of these on this board or at Rocky Road or at Pitchfork or at metacritic.com. Also got to listen to most of them on insound.com's radio stream.

M
The Sun Kil Moon is absolutely terrific- if I had heard it earlier in '03 than mid-December, it would have been high on my top 10. I haven't heard the new Mountain Goats, and I've seen some rather ho-hum reviews of it, but I discovered their "Tallahassee" cd about a month ago, and am playing it to death. The rest I am woefully unfamiliar with.

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2004, 11:34 PM
I've been listening to the Cast of Thousands album quite a bit -- very enjoyable. It's like we get two Peter Gabriels for the price of one! The real one, and Elbow, which is like Peter Gabriel if he'd gone of in a more organic, less electronic, possibly even more indie, direction.

Just picked up that Talkie Walkie. Pretty consistently hearing the reviews of "a nice return to form", and from what I heard from the one listen at a listening station, I concur. Perhaps a tad more mellow (than Moon Safari), and certainly no Virgin Suicides, but the latter would be asking too much, and the former isn't necessarily a bad thing, if one is in the right mood.

Stone
03-07-2004, 04:37 AM

I don't have this but I have the "Darts of Pleasure" EP, which is really good, catchy stuff. This album is on my wish list and I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

I have to agree with tentoze on this one. Fine album and although I haven't spent a lot of time with it, it is definitely is a keeper. Have you heard any of the Red House Painters albums? It's similar in vein to Kozelek's work with RHPs (that I've heard), but it has a bit more Neil Young influence in it and I think I like SKM better.

I do like the lo-fi stuff I've heard of his better. I just think it fits the music better, but this and Tallahassee, both of which were recorded in studios, are really good, if you ask me.

Another one that's high on my wish list after hearing the debut EP Young Liars, which is outstanding. If you get (or already have) that copy of my year end comp from Mark, there's a song on it from the EP. Please let us know what you think of this one.

This one confused me. I don't think this is the same Owls as I was thinking, the Tim Kinsella band, and that's why I was very surprised to see this one on the list. I know nothing about this band.

M

That's all I have to say about that.

Mike
03-08-2004, 05:17 AM

M

Franz Ferdinand - Not sure about this they are in danger of being over hyped I feel, they are good but not that good. A jaunty short album with a few good tracks

Sun Kil Moon - One of my favourites from last year, very mellow but great hooks. It's the album which got me into the RHP's and I'm glad it did.

Snow Patrol - Bought it last week and I've only listened a couple of times initial impressions are not that favourable. Comparisons to the Verve were made which was one of the reasons I bought it but apart from a few tracks it's pretty bland.

Air - Now this is good a real return to form, instantly likeable.

Elbow - Another favourite from last year, great vocals and sounds and I agree with the earlier comment a very Peter Gabriel indie sound.

Cheers
Mike