Goodbye Sansui G22000 hello Outlaw 2150 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Sansui G22000 hello Outlaw 2150

Thomasp102
04-10-2008, 05:37 PM
:17: My 33 year old vintage sansui G22000 has gone lame on me like a tired old nag at he track she just done stopped working -- a $120 shipping trip to repair store came up with terrible prognosis -- not terminal but months of electrical drugs were needed and lots of $$$ she could be rehabbed but she'd never be top 'O line again -- sooo-- Now I'm in a fine mess what do I mate my La Scalas up with?? A buffet of vintage mcintoshes and other goodies were at my EBAY beck and call.
I decided on the Outlaw retro 2150 -- along with the LFM-1 subcompact woof woofer and a rebuilt Pioneer ctf1000 -- I haven't got it yet but I am secretly hoping this mating of old with new will produce a wonderful child and not some mongoloid weezing hack spewing wd-40 in her diapers. Shorting out sparks and waking the neighbors. Smoking and I don't mean cigarettes.
I hope to offer you all a nice sonic review when these babies arrive -- but it was a sad day laying the old sansui beast out -- the coffin was so heavy I needed ten pallbearers to bury her in the trash receptacle -- as a last act of defiance her weight caused the garbage guy to throw his back out getting her in the trash dumpster way to go baby you went out in style.

bobsticks
04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry about the passing of a longterm friend. Back in the day Sansui was known to make a good piece of kit and you are the better for having had her in your life.

OTOH, new toys are always fun. When you get 'em please stop back with a review. I'm especially interested in hearing a non-reviewers' review of the Outlaw.

Peace

captjamo
04-11-2008, 05:16 AM
I want to hear too. Especially want to know how good that sub sounds. Count me in when they go HDMI on their seperates.

Feanor
04-11-2008, 06:23 AM
:17: My 33 year old vintage sansui G22000 has gone lame on me like a tired old nag at he track she just done stopped working.

I decided on the Outlaw retro 2150 -- along with the LFM-1 subcompact woof woofer and a rebuilt Pioneer ctf1000 -- I haven't got it yet but I am secretly hoping this mating of old with new will produce a wonderful child ....
I hope to offer you all a nice sonic review when these babies arrive -- but it was a sad day laying the old sansui beast out -- the coffin was so heavy I needed ten pallbearers to bury her in the trash receptacle -- as a last act of defiance her weight caused the garbage guy to throw his back out getting her in the trash dumpster way to go baby you went out in style.

It's sad to hear of the demise of a vintage classic like your Sansui. Were I you, I might have tried to sell it or at least give it away to a DIY repair collector, though I don't blame you for not wanting to repair it on your own account.

The Outlaw 2150 would be my choice for a new, stereo receiver. It's shocking value for a $650 receiver considering it put 160wpc into 4 ohms. It has an MM/MC phono preamp which will appeal to many. I particularly like the bass management feature. Also highly relevant to my needs is the USB interface (and hence also DAC). It's not clear to me why DACs and bass management - standard on A/V receivers - are so rare on stereo components.

nightflier
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I'll take a number in that line too. I would love to hear what you think of that receiver. The professional reviewers all praised it, but what are they comparing it too, their own systems? I did read that the USB feature wasn't up to snuff, though; but I'm sure that can be fixed with a firmware update.

By the way, Thomasp102, they still allow you to throw out electronics in the trash in your neck of the woods? Here in "prim & proper California" that's practically a capital offense - your own neighbors will be the first to turn you in, just to score some points with the HOA gestapo. I'm not kidding either, some poor sap threw out a computer and a neighbor actually called the cops on him. He didn't speak good English either, so they hassled him about being a citizen too, but in the end he was fined by the city as well as by the association (for overfilling his can).

Ah the joys of living in SoCal....

pixelthis
04-11-2008, 01:17 PM
It's sad to hear of the demise of a vintage classic like your Sansui. Were I you, I might have tried to sell it or at least give it away to a DIY repair collector, though I don't blame you for not wanting to repair it on your own account.

The Outlaw 2150 would be my choice for a new, stereo receiver. It's shocking value for a $650 receiver considering it put 160wpc into 4 ohms. It has an MM/MC phono preamp which will appeal to many. I particularly like the bass management feature. Also highly relevant to my needs is the USB interface (and hence also DAC). It's not clear to me why DACs and bass management - standard on A/V receivers - are so rare on stereo components.

THEY ARENT NESSESARY.
All high end CD players are known for their quality DACS, so a dac in a preamp or integrated would be redundant, and turntables are analog of course.
WANT TO HOOK YOUR COMPUTER up to your "kit" as the English say?
Get a fubar usb dac http://www.firestone-audio.com/

Or some other usb type device.
I have a old external creative soundcard (usb) and the sound from my computer is quite good.
Some poo-poo you when you say that sound from a lossless file on a computer is every bit (and sometimes better) than a CD.
But the sound q is really amazing (lossy stuff like MP3 still sucks)
So you really don'y need a dac on audio gear, and in a field that lauds clean simple design a dac is quite often seen as a needless complication :1:

pixelthis
04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I am really sorry aboiut your Sansui BTW.
I made a statement that receivers used to be made to audiophile standards
(or close to it) and stuff like this is what I was talking about :1: