PS3 Firmware Update 2.30 Brings DTS-HD Master Audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Firmware Update 2.30 Brings DTS-HD Master Audio

f0rge
04-10-2008, 05:21 AM
bout effing time

http://gizmodo.com/378180/playstation-3-firmware-update-230-brings-dts+hd-master-audio

GMichael
04-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Another upgrade? That's a lot of support!

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 06:46 AM
So is it up to rev 100.100.10.10 now? :smilewinkgrin:

f0rge
04-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Another upgrade? That's a lot of support!

or they could have just but out something that worked properly in the first place...

seems like they're coming monthly these days

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 07:02 AM
or they could have just but out something that worked properly in the first place...

Gee, this one makes my purchase decision a whole bunch easier. :rolleyes:

And now a word from L.J. :biggrin5:

L.J.
04-10-2008, 07:04 AM
That's what I'm talking 'bout!!!!!!

Rich, you know you want one :ihih:

BTW, I see the constant updates as excellent support. New features are added on a regular basis. latest update added ability to browse the net while streaming backgroung music, move folders from your PC HD to your PS3, create playlists for music, video, photo playback........you get my point. And if you haven't noticed....most BR owners on this forum use a PS3. Come on to the dark side baby :cornut:

GMichael
04-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Nothing wrong with getting free upgrades to the latest and greatest available. When something new comes out, at least I know I'll be included. And it won't cost me a dime. All I have to do is turn the thing on and it asks me if I want to upgrade. A simple click of a button and I have what BR player owners will have to pay for.

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 07:16 AM
You MUST work in sales L.J. No doubt in my mind. If not, you're in the wrong business!

I do have a deep seated resentment for everything Sony but at this point, about the only reason I WON'T be buying one is if I'm no longer able to connect to this site from home OR from work. :)

bobsticks
04-10-2008, 07:24 AM

I've felt this way about other products and would be more disposed to think this way in this case if Sony wasn't trying to serve two masters. I'd say Sony has done a pretty good job at meeting the needs of both gamers and systems guys, and have done so with a sense of urgency.

If I had to wait to be sent a disc in the mail or actually go somewhere and purchase upgrades I might be upset but, c'mon, I can handle walking the cable from the wall to the unit. Good stuff in my book.

f0rge
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I've felt this way about other products and would be more disposed to think this way in this case if Sony wasn't trying to serve two masters. I'd say Sony has done a pretty good job at meeting the needs of both gamers and systems guys, and have done so with a sense of urgency.

If I had to wait to be sent a disc in the mail or actually go somewhere and purchase upgrades I might be upset but, c'mon, I can handle walking the cable from the wall to the unit. Good stuff in my book.

i know i'm just ragging on sony, and i'm looking at it from a video game console standpoint, which falls behind my xbox in several areas.

captjamo
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Yah, c'mon Rich. Wade on in the water is warm. I bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray and some gaming. I like the way it exceeded all of my expectations right from the get go and keeps on impressing. Not many things do that.

My son has a 1 yr old 360 that is dead. He's got to send it in for repair. He loved XBOX Live until he couldn't get them to turn the membership fee off (online gaming is free with the PS3 so far). Now he says he is getting a PS3. Why? To play BD movies.

I guess I'm a Sonyhead on this one. There is something very cool about them wagering their entire success on the success of the PS3 and winning the bet. For a minute there it looked like we could have possibly lost a true icon.

L.J.
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Dang, I gotta go back and watch all my BR with DTSMA tracks now :3:

Good thing I waited for ID4....it's still in plastic....guess it'll be i'Robot....maybe X-Men 3.... or maybe....

**LJ continues to walk down the hallway talking to himself**

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
On the other hand, why could I not just by wonna these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106225 for $140 bucks, buy a DVI to HDMI cable, drag my PC out into the media room and connect it to my receiver? My graphics card is HDCP compliant, can display 1680 x 1050 pixels, and my sound card has SPDIF output. And I'd also have a nice widescreen monitor to put on the coffee table for use with the Receiver Manager s/w. Seems like a much cheaper alternative, and I'd be utilizing equipment I already own.

Hmmm???

bobsticks
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, one reason not to do that would be the inability of SPDIF to transmit all the latest audio codecs. You'd be stuck with regular, ol' DTS and DD.

Another reason would be the introduction of fan noise from your computer into the equation...

...yet another might be the potential for handshake problems between the DVI and HDMI, especially as HDMI continues to evolve.

Of course, the most compelling reason is because new toys are fun.

L.J.
04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
On the other hand, why could I not just by wonna these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106225 for $140 bucks, buy a DVI to HDMI cable, drag my PC out into the media room and connect it to my receiver? My graphics card is HDCP compliant, can display 1680 x 1050 pixels, and my sound card has SPDIF output. And I'd also have a nice widescreen monitor to put on the coffee table for use with the Receiver Manager s/w. Seems like a much cheaper alternative, and I'd be utilizing equipment I already own.

Hmmm???

Huh? :confused5:

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Shot down in flames.

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Wouldn't an external sound card resolve those issues? I don't know what they feature these days but if they decoded True-HD & DTSMA, and were cheap enough they'd be a practical alternative to the $400 PS3 price tag.

bobsticks
04-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I suspect you'll find the availability of "an external soundcard that decoded Tru-HD & DTSMA" rather limited, at least from a stand-alone retail perspective.

You could always buy a PS3, remove the soundcard and put it next to your PC if that would make you feel better.

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
...You could always buy a PS3, remove the soundcard and put it next to your PC if that would make you feel better.
Thank you for driving the final stake through my heart my friend.

"patentia" means patience, would be my guess. You shouldn't lose patience with me 'cause you should know me by now.

Peace out.

bobsticks
04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank you for driving the final stake through my heart my friend.

"patentia" means patience, would be my guess. You shouldn't lose patience with me 'cause you should know me by now.

Peace out.

1) Good order it now. You really will be glad you did.

2) Yes, my friend, sometimes we have to rattle your cage to get you through the confusing times.

3) Peace back atcha brutha.

GMichael
04-11-2008, 05:25 AM
1) Good order it now. You really will be glad you did.

2) Yes, my friend, sometimes we have to rattle your cage to get you through the confusing times.

3) Peace back atcha brutha.

New bundle packages on the way. I'd wait a few weeks.

captjamo
04-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Its all about the Blu-Ray friends. And logical progression. Why buy a stand alone when you get so much more with the PS3. She can introduce some fan noise though. I'm looking for a quiet console fan solution. Advice Sticks or anyone. If I could get her just a little more air she won't rev up her fan which is a bit loud depending on RPM's. She doesn't always rev up so I'm pretty sure just a bit more air will fix problem.

GMichael
04-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Its all about the Blu-Ray friends. And logical progression. Why buy a stand alone when you get so much more with the PS3. She can introduce some fan noise though. I'm looking for a quiet console fan solution. Advice Sticks or anyone. If I could get her just a little more air she won't rev up her fan which is a bit loud depending on RPM's. She doesn't always rev up so I'm pretty sure just a bit more air will fix problem.

I've heard of this problem with the noisy fan. So far, I haven't heard a peep out of mine. A few people seem to think that the 40GB is quieter than the 80GB. Not sure if that truth or fiction though.

f0rge
04-11-2008, 05:52 AM
rich the other problem is that 1680 x 1050 is not 1920 x 1080.

when you're listening to movies the way they're meant to be listened to (ie LOUD) then you shouldn't hear any fan noise.

i have a 60gb PS3 and i haven't had any fan noise issues yet.

L.J.
04-11-2008, 05:54 AM
No I haven't heard anything either. I sit maybe 11/12 feet from mine. Actually, I've never looked that direction due to any noise. My old Comcast cable box was really loud though....you could always hear it during quiet movie scenes...glad it's gone.

I have the 60g.

captjamo
04-11-2008, 09:29 AM
I have the 60gig. It has variable speeds are sure you know. The low speed is quiet. But higher speeds I can hear during some low volume level HT use. This is not a big problem for me because like you guys I like some pretty robust volume level I like to call small venue concert level-hehehe. I want to keep my baby comfortable for longevity sake maybe. Or I could be all wet I guess.

Rich-n-Texas
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
I have the 60gig. It has variable speeds are sure you know. The low speed is quiet. But higher speeds I can hear during some low volume level HT use. This is not a big problem for me because like you guys I like some pretty robust volume level I like to call small venue concert level-hehehe. I want to keep my baby comfortable for longevity sake maybe. Or I could be all wet I guess.
Exactly. Exactly. :ihih:

captjamo
04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Can't believe it. I've gone to using terms of endearment for my for my HT gear.
I clearly have a bad case of HT seperation anxiety. I went to one Doc about my illness and she said " watch two BD's and call me in the morning". MayMaybe I better stick with the day job.

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 05:50 AM
New bundle packages on the way. I'd wait a few weeks.
I suspect you mean new bundles similar to the current "Motorstorm" & "Guitar Hero 3" which will raise the price of the PS3, right? I think the early May timeframe is when I'll pull the trigger on the 40 gig model.

GMichael
04-14-2008, 06:03 AM
I suspect you mean new bundles similar to the current "Motorstorm" & "Guitar Hero 3" which will raise the price of the PS3, right? I think the early May timeframe is when I'll pull the trigger on the 40 gig model.

Here are a few of the bundles I've read about. http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm%3Farticle_id%3D175688

There are more but couldn't find the links. Also, looks like some of these will get you a coupon to download the game "Pain" for free.

L.J.
04-14-2008, 06:04 AM
I think the early May timeframe is when I'll pull the trigger on the 40 gig model.

:eek:

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
There you go being cryptic again. :)

GM, Google said "No related articles were found" :idea:

GMichael
04-14-2008, 06:24 AM
There you go being cryptic again. :)

GM, Google said "No related articles were found" :idea:

Sorry. Try this link: http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/26/sony-announces-499-metal-gear-solid-ps3-bundle-god-of-war-psp/

I think LJ is just catatonic right now. Give him a few minutes to get over the shock of you giving in.

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm too easy aren't I? :incazzato:

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
An 80 gig PS3 with Metal Gear Solid 4 AND a vibrating controller? For $100 more than the 40 gig? My opinion of Sony is rapidly changing...

Maybe I can get GW to kick in an extra $100 on my Stimulus check.:cornut:

f0rge
04-14-2008, 07:26 AM
the metal gear setup looks sweet cause you get a limited edition gunmetal ps3

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm digging and digging f0rge but I can't find anything that shows me what you're talking about. I'm also wondering where I go to pre-order.

GMichael
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't know if it's still going on, but last December, Sony had a deal where you got $100 back if you opened a Song charge card and bought it through their on-line store. There was a link about it over on AVS in the Playstation area.

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Never mind f0rge. I found it on the Sony site.

I'll check it out GM.

L.J.
04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
An 80 gig PS3 with Metal Gear Solid 4 AND a vibrating controller? For $100 more than the 40 gig? My opinion of Sony is rapidly changing...

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 09:04 AM
There was a link about it over on AVS in the Playstation area.
I just read the thread about the "Very Special Surprise on April 14th". It looks like the Sony Store will open tomorrow with a new store interface for the PS3. I'm hoping I'll be able to pre-order the Gunmetal PS3 there.

GMichael
04-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Speak to us LJ. Are you ok?

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Yer a funny guy L.J.

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Ya think he's getting ready to e-bay his current PS?

f0rge
04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I just read the thread about the "Very Special Surprise on April 14th". It looks like the Sony Store will open tomorrow with a new store interface for the PS3. I'm hoping I'll be able to pre-order the Gunmetal PS3 there.

go to gamestop or EB, you'll probably be better off there.

kexodusc
04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
You must have been checking out your mailbox and realized it was full! Time to clean it out, my message won't send!

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
You two conspiring? :sosp: I get first dibs on the MGS4 bundle in Gun Metal gray!!!

Rich-n-Texas
04-14-2008, 11:02 AM
go to gamestop or EB, you'll probably be better off there.
Gamestop doesn't show it, but neither does Amazon.com. I've got it in my cart at the Sony store, but it includes $50 some with tax and shipping. Sales tax? Screw THAT!

L.J.
04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
You must have been checking out your mailbox and realized it was full! Time to clean it out, my message won't send!

Oops :cornut:

L.J.
04-15-2008, 12:25 PM
You two conspiring? :sosp: I get first dibs on the MGS4 bundle in Gun Metal gray!!!

Rich, make sure you get one of these to along with your PS3.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Blu-Wave-Remote/dp/B000R5H7KE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1208290527&sr=8-1

It works great and controls 98% of the PS3 funtions. It's already in the Harmony database too. The only let down is it doesn't turn the PS3 on/off. No big deal though because most of us have to get off our butts to put a movie in. The PS3 turn turns on automatically once it detects a disc being inserted in the tray for you guys with sensitive fingers. When your watching the movies, get off your butt again to put the movie away and turn off the PS3 while your at it.

BTW, did my update this morning..it took a whole 5 mins. Popped in a fox disc....BAM, DTSMA baby.

f0rge
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
BTW, did my update this morning..it took a whole 5 mins. Popped in a fox disc....BAM, DTSMA baby.

turns out i dont have any movies with DTS:MA, only DTS:HD...son of a...

Rich-n-Texas
04-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Rich, make sure you get one of these to along with your PS3.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Blu-Wave-Remote/dp/B000R5H7KE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1208290527&sr=8-1

It works great and controls 98% of the PS3 funtions. It's already in the Harmony database too. The only let down is it doesn't turn the PS3 on/off. No big deal though because most of us have to get off our butts to put a movie in. The PS3 turn turns on automatically once it detects a disc being inserted in the tray for you guys with sensitive fingers. When your watching the movies, get off your butt again to put the movie away and turn off the PS3 while your at it.
I think there were people talking about this remote on the AVS forum, and others were saying the game controller does a pretty good job of controlling the BD player as well. Edit: You did say it's in the Harmony database didn't ya? :o

Apparently there's some kind of problem with DTSMA and the 1800/3800's. I don't understand everything they were talking about over there but one poster was trying to organize a Class Action suit against Yamaha. He gave up but it seemed somewhat drastic nevertheless.

It looks like June is the release timeframe for the MGS4 bundle which kinda sucks, but I do need to get my fence replaced ASAP. The PS3'll be my birthday present to ME! :yesnod:

L.J.
04-16-2008, 06:35 AM
I think there were people talking about this remote on the AVS forum, and others were saying the game controller does a pretty good job of controlling the BD player as well. Edit: You did say it's in the Harmony database didn't ya? :o

yeah it took me like 2 mins. to setup. Well worth the money. It goes on sale at amazom sometimes too. Simply add a device called "game system w/DVD" select Nyko as the manuf. and Blu-Wave pops up. Set this up as your PS3 activity and that's it. I never even had to use the supplied remote.

I guess you can use the controller but I'd rather use my Harmony :3:
The controller is great for browsing the net or doing multiple funtions on the PS3 though.

For complete control of your PS3 using the Harmony you can use this (http://ir2bt.com/). Not sure if it's worth $55 but it sells fast when it's available. I'm OK with the cheaper Bluwave remote until something else comes along at a cheaper price.

Apparently there's some kind of problem with DTSMA and the 1800/3800's. I don't understand everything they were talking about over there but one poster was trying to organize a Class Action suit against Yamaha. He gave up but it seemed somewhat drastic nevertheless.

If this is the bitstreaming issue, then you'd be OK using the PS3.

It looks like June is the release timeframe for the MGS4 bundle which kinda sucks, but I do need to get my fence replaced ASAP. The PS3'll be my birthday present to ME! :yesnod:

I'm actually thinking of getting one myself :shocked:

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Oh look! A Post!

I'm betting the blue "use this" is an RF - IR converter right? I'll check.

I see the Playstation store and the Playstation network are accessed only through the PS console, correct? I tried creating a login to the store from my PC but the logo that you're supposed to click on wasn't visible. I was able to, from the blog site, play a video where this cute Asian chick was demonstrating the store's new user interface. Looks pretty cool.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm actually thinking of getting one myself :shocked:
I knew it I knew it I knew it!!! You and Kex WERE conspiring. :hand:

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Well I was close. An IR - Bluetooth...

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Took the day off yesterday (nobody is around anyway, they are all at the National Association of Broadcasters Convention), downloaded the new update, and sat down to watch a couple of flicks with Dts MA Lossless. What a upgrade!! Damn, and I thought Dts core sounded damn good. The Day After Tomorrow sounded a bit better in lossless than lossy. Much more open, more precise imaging, even instruments had a more distinct tonal texture and harmonics in lossless. Dts MA lossless sounds more like PCM than DTHD does to me. DTHD sounds pretty darn good, but something is not quite right to the ears when I compare it to PCM, and they should sound exactly alike.

The PS3 is one of the best investments I have ever made to my hometheater. This upgrade just increased the value of approximately 50 of my 300 bluray disc. Almost 90% of my collection now has lossless audio. Me is pleased!

Hey Rich guy, get off of your greenbacks and get one man. Whaddya waitin for, the second parting of the red sea?

GMichael
04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Whaddya waitin for, the second parting of the red sea?

Is she in town again?

L.J.
04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
The PS3 is one of the best investments I have ever made to my hometheater.

:thumbsup:

This upgrade just increased the value of approximately 50 of my 300 bluray disc. Almost 90% of my collection now has lossless audio. Me is pleased!

:arf:

Hey Rich guy, get off of your greenbacks and get one man. Whaddya waitin for, the second parting of the red sea?

:lol:

04-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Is she in town again?

Yeah but she won't go out with him until he springs for a PS3. I think she is using him for his electronics.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Huh? She? Who?

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm waiting for the 80 gig MGS4 bundle. And I'm holding my ground firmly this time!!!

GMichael
04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm waiting for the 80 gig MGS4 bundle. And I'm holding my ground firmly this time!!!

What happened to the 40GB you were set on Monday?

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, like I said, 80 gig HDD & a vibrating controller for $100 more seems like a pretty good deal ya know?

GMichael
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Those controllers are not for sitting on.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
That's not what L.J. said. :ihih:

04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Those controllers are not for sitting on.

Now you ruined it, he not going to buy it now. :hand:

Rich type individual, its is about time you made up your mind to get it. I have had ten birthdays while you have been trying to figure this out. Slowpoke!

LJ, you are going to have a PM coming to you. I love my PS3, but there are so many things I do not know about it. Me and my PS3 have just gotta get to know each other betta.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Now you ruined it, he not going to buy it now. :hand:
You guys come down here and help me put up a new fence and I'll pull the trigger next Monday. I'll supply beer and pizza.

Rich type individual, its is about time you made up your mind to get it. I have had ten birthdays while you have been trying to figure this out. Slowpoke!
"I have to be sure" :rolleyes:

LJ, you are going to have a PM coming to you. I love my PS3, but there are so many things I do not know about it. Me and my PS3 have just gotta get to know each other betta.
No PM's! I want to take notes!

GMichael
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I love my PS3, but there are so many things I do not know about it. Me and my PS3 have just gotta get to know each other betta.

Maybe you should try that vibrating controller out. :ihih:

L.J.
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Maybe you should try that vibrating controller out. :ihih:

Now the PS3 truely does everything :biggrin5:

GMichael
04-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Now the PS3 truely does everything :biggrin5:

It's the TOTAL home entertainment system. Just plug it in and spend hours in total bliss.
(Try streaming that)

f0rge
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
lol you guys are too much

i use the ps3 blutooth remote with my ps3, works pretty well and if you look you can get it for like $19.99

Rich dont forget that extra $100 also get you the MGS game itself

f0rge
04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
does anyone actually use their ps3 for games?

personally i dont, i've played 4 games on it since i got it at launch (what about 18 monts ago?)

my xbox on the other hand gets tons of play. why? couldnt tell you...

L.J.
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
lol you guys are too much

i use the ps3 blutooth remote with my ps3, works pretty well and if you look you can get it for like $19.99

yeah I have the blutooth remote as well. The stop/pause/play buttons are large and easy to use. 100% control of the PS3 too. I just couldn't resist using my Harmony with the PS3 as well. Especially when watching movies at night. Can't stand having 2 remotes when watching a movie and sometimes I lose the smaller buttons on the BT remote when trying to go into the setting/display info are something. One remote makes things easier for wifee too :yesnod:

L.J.
04-16-2008, 03:21 PM
does anyone actually use their ps3 for games?

personally i dont, i've played 4 games on it since i got it at launch (what about 18 monts ago?)

my xbox on the other hand gets tons of play. why? couldnt tell you...

I have all sports games(9 I think) and full auto 2 or somethong like that. I downloaded about 15 games from the PS store. I use to game back in the day but not too much anymore. I have about 50 PS2/PS1 games that I mess around with sometimes. I like to play puzzle games(Tetris...) with my wife and of course DBZ.

I plan on getting the upcoming DBZ & Star Wars titles. I've done all the splinter cell/metal gear stuff in the past and just don't really care about that stuff anymore. i like to get in, finish my game in 20 mins. and be done with it.

If anybody is up for a game of Madden....holla at ya boy.

captjamo
04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Just have this note today. I like to play Blast Factor downloaded from The Playstation Store. The audio is THX and it rocks. This game puts my system through its paces really well. And its fun to play too.

L.J.
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Just have this note today. I like to play Blast Factor downloaded from The Playstation Store. The audio is THX and it rocks. This game puts my system through its paces really well. And its fun to play too.

Yeah I have that one too. The sound is really good on that one :3:

f0rge
04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
i just picked up the gran turismo 5 prologue, so that makes 5 games total. pretty good, but seems short...i guess that's why it's a prologue...

that force unleashed game looks badass

captjamo
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Ok LJ. I figured I'd get at least one in this thread to say they liked Blast Factor. Hey fOrge, how sweet is that Gran Turismo? I was thinking about it. Anyone playing MLB The Show 08? It looks like it would be a good sports title to have.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2008, 06:43 PM
NASCAR 08 is on my list. Gonna get me a steering wheel and peddles. :yesnod:

f0rge
04-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Ok LJ. I figured I'd get at least one in this thread to say they liked Blast Factor. Hey fOrge, how sweet is that Gran Turismo? I was thinking about it. Anyone playing MLB The Show 08? It looks like it would be a good sports title to have.

it's pretty sweet, but i would rent it, you could easily beat it in a week, it's pretty damn short

Rich-n-Texas
04-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I was taking measurements for model # PS398011, which is the console I'll be buying in June so I'll know where I can put it, and according to the specs it's 12.7" W x 3.8" H x 10.7" D. Is that right? It seems much larger than that in the pictures. If that's the case then it would easily fit in my audio cabinet.

f0rge
04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I was taking measurements for model # PS398011, which is the console I'll be buying in June so I'll know where I can put it, and according to the specs it's 12.7" W x 3.8" H x 10.7" D. Is that right? It seems much larger than that in the pictures. If that's the case then it would easily fit in my audio cabinet.

yeah it's a real monster, really deep. it also weighs in at a hefty 15lbs (at least the 60gig does)

captjamo
04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Rich, I have mine in one of four bays. The top right to be exact. The space measures 22"W x 9"?10"?H x 23"D. Once I slid the PS3 all the way to the left in the bay I nearly fixed the heat problem. She exhausts out her right side. Most of the warm air escapes and she doesn't rev her fans up too much then. Just something to think about. I know It seems like I've made a big deal about the heat problem but it is really not that big of an issue. That said she does run warm ( lots under the hood). The point is give the PS3 a little room to breath and you will be set.

Rich-n-Texas
04-18-2008, 06:14 AM
True. That game is like $55 on it's own. Ya know, that brings up a point...

80 gig console + Dualshock controller + MGS4 = a good deal...

BUT

Looks like most if not all PS3 games average ~ $10 more than similar PC titles. Doesn't seem like the warm-n-fuzzy feeling from the above would last very long if I indeed get deep into the gaming side of things ya know?

PSYCH!!! :dita:

Rich-n-Texas
04-22-2008, 06:03 AM
For PS3 gamers, do you have the SIXAXIS controller, and if so, are you happy with it? I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase the plain 'ol SIXAXIS or the DualShock for about $20 more after I've gotten my system. The extra one would be for guests.

GMichael
04-22-2008, 06:23 AM
For PS3 gamers, do you have the SIXAXIS controller, and if so, are you happy with it? I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase the plain 'ol SIXAXIS or the DualShock for about $20 more after I've gotten my system. The extra one would be for guests.
My SIXAXIS works fine. But I plan on getting the Dualshock someday. It's more fun to have the feedback. My Prowheel has it. I love seeing my friends freak out the first time they crash and the wheel shakes.

Rich-n-Texas
04-22-2008, 06:35 AM
My SIXAXIS works fine. But I plan on getting the Dualshock someday. It's more fun to have the feedback. My Prowheel has it. I love seeing my friends freak out the first time they crash and the wheel shakes.
:lol: That must be fun to watch. I need more of that in my life. :ihih:

Ya know, I was looking at the Logitech steering wheel and pedals (don't remember the model # but it's the +$200 one :eek: ) for NASCAR 08...

I need to get my fence up and paid for ASAP.:incazzato:

GM, do you plug your wheel into one of the USB ports? I have a Throttle and Stick controller that's USB, and I'm wondering if I could use it for any supported games. I have MS Flight Sim on my PC but I'm not using it because I've got no place to put the controllers in my computer room.

GMichael
04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
:lol: That must be fun to watch. I need more of that in my life. :ihih:

Ya know, I was looking at the Logitech steering wheel and pedals (don't remember the model # but it's the +$200 one :eek: ) for NASCAR 08...

I need to get my fence up and paid for ASAP.:incazzato:

GM, do you plug your wheel into one of the USB ports? I have a Throttle and Stick controller that's USB, and I'm wondering if I could use it for any supported games. I have MS Flight Sim on my PC but I'm not using it because I've got no place to put the controllers in my computer room.

It is fun. My 5 year old God-daughter was over last Saturday. I turned her loose on Burnout-in-Paridise. She was funny as he!!.

Yeah, USB. Picked up a 15' extenstion from Monoprice for like $2.50.
Not sure what will work till you try. Don't forget to change the game's controller settings if it doesn't. Sometimes they can be modified to work.

f0rge
04-23-2008, 04:38 PM
i have both.

i prefer the dualshock for the simple fact that it weighs more, the sixaxis is too flimsy feeling

Rich-n-Texas
04-24-2008, 05:32 AM
I just read in an article that the SIXAXIS w/o rumble has been discontinued. I wonder if there will even be any available at retail outlets in June?

f0rge
04-24-2008, 10:49 AM
probably only as pack-ins with older systems, so far i think only the MGS system comes with a dualshock

GMichael
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
I just read in an article that the SIXAXIS w/o rumble has been discontinued. I wonder if there will even be any available at retail outlets in June?

Why go back to the lesser model?

Rich-n-Texas
04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Second controller for the *guest*.

GMichael
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Plenty of 3rd party companies still making them.

f0rge
04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
thing is the dualshock costs the same as the sixaxis, so no real point in buying the old crap unless you can get it cheap used.

used controllers gross me out on more than one level lol.

Rich-n-Texas
04-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Where are you seeing the Dualshock for $40 bucks? I'll buy one right now if it's from a reputable retailer.

captjamo
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Me too

f0rge
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
well in canada dualshock 3's are $49 from the mom and pop video game shop near my work. (i say mom and pop but it's actually run by an indian dude lol)

i prefer to support local business when i can (and when costs are similar) so i haven't really looked around. actually i picked up a silver japanese controller cause it looked cooler, but that was $59 since it was an import.

since i rarely play my ps3 i've never really looked at controller prices, the sixaxis was only $39? since always?

Rich-n-Texas
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Didn't know you lived in Canada f0rge. Don't know how long its been $39 but I haven't been in the market until recently anyway. I'd suspect it has dropped or will drop because of the Dualshock's availability and the fact that it's been obsoleted by Sony.

f0rge
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
honestly after playing a solid chunk of GT5P i find that vibration adds little additional benefit to the game. if it's just going to be your backup controller might as well get the cheaper option.