Yes: Drama (extended remaster) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yes: Drama (extended remaster)

3-LockBox
03-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I picked this up the other day when I bought <b>KC's</b> <i>3OAPP</i>. I've read good things about it, as well as a few bad things. Actually, I think I remember reading a review for this album in a magazine from the same time period (Stereo Review...maybe). I remember the reviewer calling it a sham, suggesting that these bloated old '70s acts (referring to others in the genre) finally ''give up to ghost' ( I remeber the same being said for <b>Genesis</b>' <i>Abacab</i>). Funny that the first two or three years of the '80s would find both of these bands enjoying more commercial success in their new incarnations than in their original theatric, artistic ones.

That being said, this is a great album. Whether or not it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the older <b>Yes</b> albums, this release is as good as any thing after it, if not better. Conceptually speaking, its the last real progressive album the group would put out for nearly two decades. Most diehard <b>Yes</b> fans already own this release, but a few (myself included) have never heard it, at least not in its entirety. I love it when I hear a long lost song, only to find that the group responsible has occupied a place on my shelf for years. I am referring to 'Tempus Fugit', a song that graced radio stations long ago and perhaps a few retro stations since. In fact, this whole CD is a new found treasure for me much in the same way <b>Kansas'</b> <i>Masque</i> was for me a few years ago (thanks again Rave Rec'res).

However, this album was not without its faults. The song 'Into The Lens' sticks out like a sore thumb. Musically, the song permiates with virtuosity, but the lyrics are whince inducing, not that past <b>Yes</b> lyrics are immune from this (see 'Sound Chaser' from <i>Relayer</i>...cha cha cha anyone?). 'White Car' is a short unobtrusive little interlude that doesn't seem to connect anything, which is usually what an interlude does. (Let's face it, inexplicable interludes were always the hobgobblins of bad prog and bad sex, weren't they?) But the rest is top-notch Yes-like material, even if Jon Anderson isn't singing on it. With the rest of the band singing back-up, Trever Horn isn't too much different sounding than Anderson, he just doesn't have the range (who does?), a fact that's chronicalled by this release's liner notes, which suggests that this line-up's achilles heel was performing the material live. Even as I was liking what I heard, I found myself wondering what the songs would have sounded like with Anderson's vocal prowess, especially songs, like 'Run Through The Light' and 'Tempus Fugit'. At any rate, the casual <b>Yes</b> fan might not even realize the difference.

To sum it up, I'd recommend this disc to both classic <b>Yes</b> fans and <b>Yes</b>West fans alike. Or even <b>Buggles</b> fans.

Dave_G
03-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Dood,

Mentioning Drama and Masque in 1 post sure does get my attention.

Darn tootin Drama is good, just listen to the bass and keyboard work, uh huh.

Glad you like those 2 titles, those have been some of my favorites for a long time.

Dave

3-LockBox
03-06-2004, 09:58 PM
The fact that the same duo that wrote and performed 'Video Killed the Radio Star' as the <b>Buggles</b> could contribute to such a degree to a pedigree carrying band like <b>Yes</b> is astounding. The fact was, they were big fans of <b>Yes</b> and their performance suggested a great deal of caring, admiration and respect for the band's past accomplishments. <i>Drama</i> is a great addition to the group's canon, as well as my growing <b>Yes</b> collection.

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Nice review, 3lb. I disagree with your assessment of "Into the Lens", but the rest is pretty much straight on. I'm glad you ended up liking it (overall). I especially appreciate "Into the Lens" when, for example, comparing it to the Buggles' "I Am A Camera", which is essentially the same song, YESsiffied (or rather, the other way around). But then again, I am not much of a lyrics person, and being a 70's child, I never minded when the lyrics got a little ahem corny. Yes, even Jon Anderson always did this, but he had that hippy charisma to carry it off. You just expected that from him.

newtrix1
03-07-2004, 06:26 AM
What about the exrta material, is it worth re-buying the album (for the 3rd time for me)? I did a quickie search and found it at DEEPDISCOUNTCD.COM for $10 shipped, so that may answer my own question :)
Also, I wonder what your definition of "progressive" is, I know Yes went commercial with much of their latter material, but they also put out some other stuff that I consider progressive. A few weeks ago I purchased Keystudio (it got some good props on this board), I'd catagorize this album as progressive rock. In fact it left me with the same feeling that Yes' original albums left me with the first time I listened to them; a little shell shocked, bewildered, but curious to listen again. I'm hoping in time Keystudio will gel and I'll be liking it as much as some of their other material.

3-LockBox
03-07-2004, 04:08 PM
I believe I said, 'their last prog release for nearly two decades', maybe I'm wrong.

Dave_G
03-07-2004, 04:49 PM
It's more mainstream hard melodic rock I guess, or you could call it progressive.

Heck, I call it "good"!

Dave