RCA to 1/4" sub-out question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RCA to 1/4" sub-out question

stidwyk
04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and had a question I hoped you all might be able to help me out with. Actually there are a couple different questions.

Basically, I'm wanting to know stuff about the RCA pre-out(I think that's what it's called) of a 5.1 reciever, and possibly connecting it to two powered monitor speakers that take 1/4" plugs via a couple different plug connectors. There are a couple different questions this brings up.

The speakers are 4" woofer plus a tweeter and are self powered, meaning they each have an electrical plug. What kind of frequency does the 5.1 RCA sub-out give? Does it send out high frequencies? Would the speakers in question be able to use this?

Which brings up question two. Supposing the speakers were able to take advantage of the sub-out, would I need mono or stereo 1/4 plugs? There's only one RCA sub-out, so what does it send out? Just the low frequencies with no need for right and left? If I hooked them both up with mono plugs, what would I get?

For reference, there are two different ways of connecting them that I can see. One is a male RCA/female 1/4" connector, followed by a 1/4" Y cable; the other is a male RCA/dual RCA females, then regular dual RCA cables, followed with two RCA female/1/4" males, one for each speaker. Kind of complicated, but here's a link in case-http://www.audiogear.com/Audio-Adapters-Phone-Plug.html

Basically I'm really poor, plus really bored and enjoy little projects like these. The speakers actually look pretty good, if I can figure out a way to use them. Any help/suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

PS- Sorry for the different questions, I don't know if it's better to have one thread that might not fit exactly, or three seperate threads in the various forums.

markw
04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Basically, I'm wanting to know stuff about the RCA pre-out(I think that's what it's called) of a 5.1 reciever, and possibly connecting it to two powered monitor speakers that take 1/4" plugs via a couple different plug connectors.Before you get too far, understand that the bolded text above refers to preamp outputs that send out the full range of frequencies to external power amplifiers. These are NOT the same as a subwoofer output. Now, on with the show.

There are a couple different questions this brings up.

The speakers are 4" woofer plus a tweeter and are self powered, meaning they each have an electrical plug. What kind of frequency does the 5.1 RCA sub-out give?The sub out is a different creature from a pre-outs that you mentioned before. The sub out sends out only low frequencies destined for a subwoofer, generally below 80 hz.

Does it send out high frequencies?No, just the subwoofer signal. Little above 80 hz or so.

Would the speakers in question be able to use this?Not likely. The sub out only sends out low frequencies, below 80 hz or so. The speakers you describe are small (hopefully) full range speakers and, while you might be able succeed in sending a subwoofer signal to them, you will not be satisfied with their performance. They would be better suited as mains.

Which brings up question two. Supposing the speakers were able to take advantage of the sub-out, would I need mono or stereo 1/4 plugs?You would use a mono plug with an RCA on one side and a 1/4" mono plug on the other side, or suitable adapters to mate the RCA sub output to a subwoofer's input, which is generally a RCA plug as well.two.

There's only one RCA sub-out, so what does it send out?It sends out only low frequencies destined for a subwoofer, generally below 80 hz.

Asfor the rest of your qurestions, I'm kinda lost.and I'll leave it for othersto pick up on but I think you have enough to go on already. Just think about what's been asked and answered.

stidwyk
04-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks, that answered my question perfectly.

What about hooking them up to the regular speaker outs? The thickness of the wire seems like it would be the only opposing factor, since one could rip off one end of a RCA cable, seperate the +/- wires, then plug the other end into a RCA/1/4" plug and into the speaker. Would the fact that the speakers are powered cause any problems? If it would, how can I end up using these speakers on the cheap?

Thanks for any help.

markw
04-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Theoretically it would work, but you're feeding the output of a power amplifier into another one, most likely one of lesser abilities. Overdriving is a probability. Not a good idea.

bfalls
04-09-2008, 04:59 AM
What model speakers/receiver are you using? We may be able to get more details on-line than you're able to provide.

stidwyk
04-10-2008, 12:26 AM
What model speakers/receiver are you using? We may be able to get more details on-line than you're able to provide.

The speakers are Vestax VS1P powered monitor speakers. The reciever is yet to be bought, but my local BB has an Insignia 5.1 500w home theatre reciever on closeout that I'm looking at. Just a basic 5.1 unit.

I haven't been able to find anything on my particular brand of speakers, but they seem to be a professional audio item. I just want to use them around the house. If not, I might sell them, but I'd at least like to know if they worked or not, I imagine they will, but I'd like to make sure.

[edit]- Maybe they'd make good computer speakers? The main problem is the 1/4" plug, but adaptors are pretty cheap. If I could find appropriate cables/adaptors, would these work as computer speakers? Thanks.

Here's a pic of the closest example I could find, except mine don't have the digital plugs. They do have a switch for -10dBm/0dBm, and I'd like to know what that's for if possible. I included a sketch up of the backs of mine- Thanks for the help.
http://www.libraprobroadcast.co.uk/prodimages/6301d_front.jpg