Phono preamps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Phono preamps

flippo
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a Thorens TD320 TT which I finally hooked up to my Onkyo SR602 reciever using a Parasound phono preamp I bought used. Before I had the Onkyo, I had a Sony STRde925 reciever and had the TT hooked up. The sound was not all that good to the point I almost sold the Thorens. Now I am glad I didn't. The Thorens really sings going thru the Parasound phone preamp. I never thought there would be so much difference in the phono section of my old Sony and a seperate phono preamp. I wish I had gone with a seperate phono preamp years ago!

Luvin Da Blues
04-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear that your vinyl sounds good now. What are you running for a cartridge?

flippo
04-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I am using a Stanton 680. I am sure there are better cartridges but do not know much about cartridges. will have to educate myself on this

Gerard
04-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Same thing happened to me too. My Rega was hooked up to Exposure 15, MM phono. Never really sang. And I thought the Rega was, well ...budget, probably not much to expect out of it, that is, until I acquired the Black Cube. My Rega was unleashed. Funny though, I thought my 15 had a good phono stage, what with all those good reviews! The Black Cube made me realise that a stand alone phono is definitely the way to go. I never looked back, and quite recently, I bulit a power supply using 50VA transformer, and this took the Black Cube even further. I haven't much time to play around with cartridges, and I hope you have fun experimenting with them. However, with low output MC, you will need MC transformer. Cheers !