Wal-mart offers up HD DVD returns [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wal-mart offers up HD DVD returns

GMichael
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Wal*Mart is taking returns on the DH-DVD's they sold.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/04/07/wal-mart-offers-up-hd-dvd-returns/

nightflier
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
To me, the question is whether these HD-DVD players, especially the higher end ones like the HD-XA2, are a better value when used as just upconverting DVD players, then competing models from companies like Oppo. They do have some pretty amazing technology like Silicon Optics Chips. NIB they are selling for around $100 and used about half that. Some people are even offering movies in the bundle. Not too bad, if you ask me.

Of course, I can also stock up on all those unwanted HD-DVD movies on sale on the used market. Some recent eBay listings:

300 for $8
Bourne Supremacy $9
Flags of our Fathers $9
Blood Diamond $7
King Kong $5

At these prices, they are comparable to the regular DVD. Too bad the selection is so limited.

GMichael
04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
To me, the question is whether these HD-DVD players, especially the higher end ones like the HD-XA2, are a better value when used as just upconverting DVD players, then competing models from companies like Oppo. They do have some pretty amazing technology like Silicon Optics Chips. NIB they are selling for around $100 and used about half that. Some people are even offering movies in the bundle. Not too bad, if you ask me.

Of course, I can also stock up on all those unwanted HD-DVD movies on sale on the used market. Some recent eBay listings:

300 for $8
Bourne Supremacy $9
Flags of our Fathers $9
Blood Diamond $7
King Kong $5

At these prices, they are comparable to the regular DVD. Too bad the selection is so limited.

I'm thinking the same things. I plan on keeping mine till it quits working. It will handle the std DVD playing as well as the few HD-DVD titles I have. Those sales do look tempting too. Why download a movie for $5 when I can own it for $8?

Just thought I'd post this for anyone who wants to return theirs.

pixelthis
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
And so the Lemmings head for the cliff.....
Why is it that when a format dies that there are some that just cant wait for the
"bargains?
YOU CAN SPEND THAT ON HD movies that will be siting in a box in the attic in a few years, or spend it on fewer bluray movies.
I am dubious about buying regular DVD's themselves, why collect less than teh best format?
SO I can see even my DVD purchases declining:1:

GMichael
04-08-2008, 05:27 AM
And so the Lemmings head for the cliff.....
Why is it that when a format dies that there are some that just cant wait for the
"bargains?
YOU CAN SPEND THAT ON HD movies that will be siting in a box in the attic in a few years, or spend it on fewer bluray movies.
I am dubious about buying regular DVD's themselves, why collect less than teh best format?
SO I can see even my DVD purchases declining:1:

Declining? I stopped buying std DVD's about 6 months before I picked up the HD-DVD or the PS3.

So I invested $100 in an HD-DVD player. I pay more than that a month in cable fees. What's wrong with picking up a few decent HD movies at about the same cost as renting one? I'll be able to play them over and over again for years. We're not talking new releases here. Those will all be on BR for me. (at least for now)
But it's cool. I understand that we don't agree. To each their own.:21:

L.J.
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Declining? I stopped buying std DVD's about 6 months before I picked up the HD-DVD or the PS3.

So I invested $100 in an HD-DVD player. I pay more than that a month in cable fees. What's wrong with picking up a few decent HD movies at about the same cost as renting one? I'll be able to play them over and over again for years. We're not talking new releases here. Those will all be on BR for me. (at least for now)
But it's cool. I understand that we don't agree. To each their own.:21:

I just recently started purchasing DVD's again. Mainly for my kids though and I get them for dirt cheap so it's not a big deal. Sorry can't see myself running out to get Alvin & Chipmunks for $29.99 of BR :shocked:

GMichael
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I just recently started purchasing DVD's again. Mainly for my kids though and I get them for dirt cheap so it's not a big deal. Sorry can't see myself running out to get Alvin & Chipmunks for $29.99 of BR :shocked:

No kids here, but you make a good point. Some things are just not worth paying 3 or 4 times as much for HD.

nightflier
04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Then there's HD-DVD rentals. Don't NetFlix and Blockbuster charge the same for HD-DVD as they do for standard DVDs? If you're gona rent the movie enyhow, and it costs the same, then why rent the standard DVD? That $50 HD-DVD player (used price) is a bargain as far as I'm concerned. And if it breaks down or becomes obsolete, you're only out a little bit of cash.

So for those using it as a standard DVD player, the real question is how good does it upconvert? How does it compare to other decent upconverting players from NAD, Marantz and Oppo? Also, which is the best Toshiba model to get?

pixelthis
04-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Good arguments for having a HD player, but I just dont have the room.
And it takes up precious resources.
One of the few advantages of being older is the realization of how important this is.
MAYBE 100$ is , relative to your cable bill, minor, but that is false logic, its still 25%
of a Bluray, three blu discs, a good dvd recorder.
Or a tank of gas.

But if you're thinking its cool, then good for you.
But five years down the road you'll be digging a box outta the attic and wondering what you were thinking:1:

GMichael
04-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Good arguments for having a HD player, but I just dont have the room.
And it takes up precious resources.
One of the few advantages of being older is the realization of how important this is.
MAYBE 100$ is , relative to your cable bill, minor, but that is false logic, its still 25%
of a Bluray, three blu discs, a good dvd recorder.
Or a tank of gas.

But if you're thinking its cool, then good for you.
But five years down the road you'll be digging a box outta the attic and wondering what you were thinking:1:
Too late for the box.

nightflier
04-11-2008, 08:55 AM
GM, how good does the Toshiba HD-A2 upconvert standard DVDs? How does that compare to the Sony PS3? Also, what is the loading time like?

GMichael
04-11-2008, 09:08 AM
GM, how good does the Toshiba HD-A2 upconvert standard DVDs? How does that compare to the Sony PS3? Also, what is the loading time like?

I don't have an HDMI receiver yet. Neither will upscale through component cables. I keep thinking of switching the cable box to component, and using the one HDMI cable going to the projector for either the A2 or the PS3. But then I end up debating which one and never finish the job. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go with the A2. Should only take a minute to switch.:idea:
On the bright side, my projector does a great job of upscaling on it's own.
Sorry that I was no help here.

Loading time on the A2 is about 30 seconds.
The PS3 is like 5.