Vintage speakers, looking for cheap and decent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vintage speakers, looking for cheap and decent

John_Dikeman
04-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Hello everyone,

Forgive me in advance, I am new here and know almost nothing about audio equipment. I am a professional saxophonist, which means I have goods ears and little cash for electronics... btw, I live in Amsterdam.

I recently bought a Marantz 2220 receiver for 50 euros and the sound is better than any receiver I've owned. I'm hoping to do something similar with speakers. Find some excellent speakers that were top of the line (or close to it) in the 70's or 80's and still sound great but can be found for under 100 euros. Any suggestions?

btw, I'm looking for speakers that are clear, natural and warm. Volume is not an issue, I won't ever be pumping these up.

I did find some Infinity Reference 30 speakers for 90 Euros. I've gathered these are modern speakers, not the classic 80's series. Are they still very good? Maybe this is as good as I'll get in my price range...

Thanks in advance!

John_Dikeman
04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
OK, I've done some more research and locally I could get the following that are within my price range. Any info on these would be great!

Elipson 1402 150 euros
celestion ditton 33 100 euros
LENCO 145 (this is an auction, so we will see)
audiostatic ES-240 electrostaat 300 euros (out of my range really, but maybe I could tlak him down)
Set Infinity Reference 71 MK2 160 euros
Infinity Qb (it's an auction, and written in Dutch, which I don't speak, but I believe it says he would sell for 150 euros)

Again, any advice would be fantastic!

blackraven
04-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Just make sure that you check the condition of the foam around the woofers and make sure that they don't need replacing.

John_Dikeman
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
blackraven: thanks for the advice. I have heard this could be a problem. Assuming they are all in great condition, do you recommend any of them over the rest? Or am I better off buying the newer Infinity Reference 30?