A lesson learned [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A lesson learned

Rush2112
04-06-2008, 06:49 AM
caveat emptor

Just thought I'd share my foolishness, I'm feeling a little low.... lol, maybe this will help.

Yesterday evening I went to look at a pair of Bose 901's V's with stands and active EQ (Craig's list) with an Onkyo A-8057 intergrated amp and T-4037 tuner included, they were asking $225.00 for everything. For starters I wasn't looking for a set of 901's but for the price they were asking I thought I'd give them a shot and at minimum I'd get what I paid for the speakers and wind up with a free intergrated amp and tuner.

They were owned (since new) by man who had just passed away (his window was selling them). The things were spotless as was the amp and tuner. I turned them on, listened to the classical radio station already tuned in, everything seemed in order. This is where things started to fall apart. I didn't get past 1/4 on the volume knob and the good Mrs. starts acting nervous so against better judgement I stopped there (I have no doubt that is the loudest they had ever been pushed. Next, time to check the foam surrounds so I start pulling on the grill (they had never been off) and the original adhesive was still bonded pretty good so this pretty much convinces her that I'm in the process of wrecking them (her husband never had to do this, why should anyone else, right? :frown2: ) Well, too late.... the grill is off and everything looks and feels perfect (sorry I've upset you miss, I'm feeling at this point).

Damn I wish I would have checked out the second speaker, but I try to be a nice guy and not upset her any more, frigg'n stupid of me. I give her the $235.00, load up, and head for home with an additional Pioneer CD player she also had for sale. After hooking them up in my living room and listening for a while it's soon obvious something is wrong with one of them. I pull the grill off speaker number two and all the foam surrounds fall out onto the carpet, every damn one :mad: What causes only one to go bad? UV rays? (one in the sunlight?)

I call her up and she thinks I destoyed them, doesn't want to listen, doesn't understand, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Taking them back and getting a refund is not an option for her so we settle on her sending me a check for $115.00. I should probably count my blessings, hopefully she comes through.

Never take anything for granted and stick to what you know is right no matter how someone else acts. I know in the end it's on me.

Actually I'm half expecting someone to say "your first mistake was to go after a pair of 901's"..... lol, flame away.

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 07:02 AM
So, you beat up a lil ol Lady for $115.:frown2: Shame Shame.

Just funning witch ya. Sounds like you got a good deal anyway. Hows the Onkyo?

Rush2112
04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I think it was me who would have been "beat up" if I would have showed up at her doorstep after obviously "wrecking" her husband's speakers via some godforsaken devil music :cornut:

As for the Onkyo, I'm pretty happy with it. I've never been much on "listed" specs (generally they are worth no more than the paper they're printed on) but these are ok. 65 watts per channel, min. RMS, at 8 ohms both channels driven from 20Hz-20kHz with no more than .018% THD. It's also rated down to 4 ohm.

When I got there, the 901's were hooked up to both right channels (A&B) lol.... both left channels were empty. They had balance pegged to the right as the left side was cutting in and out. 5 minutes and a couple shots of contact cleaner fixed that, it works perfect now. After thinking about it a little more, I believe she thought the amp was junk based on a couple of remarks she made. Anyway, if she actually comes through with her check I probably shouldn't complain. Thanks for listening, I'm starting to feel a little better, I guess it just helps to vent a little.

BCbud
04-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Good Day!

I am new here and I an glad to see there is Bose topics with no flames! As far as the foam rot, this normal for these speakers. I just bought a second pair of 901 series III that have the same problem but I knew that when I bought them and intend on rebuilding them.That is why I joined this sight, so I can get some info on the topic. I came across this thread when I did a search for 901's. The foam repair kits are on Ebay for about $50. The trick as far as I know is to install them while keeping the voice coils centered so they dont rub. Once I get started, I will post pics as I go.
My first set of 901's cost me $300 with Eq and stands and were already rebuilt and the rebuild cost the former owner $500!

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Welcome bud, you a BC boy to? For the most part it's the Bose lifestyle systems that people here have a problem with. I personally liked the 901's spatial abilities back in the day, haven't heard these in a long time tho.

BCbud
04-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Yup, Victoria BC.

JohnMichael
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I have also enjoyed Bose 901's with some recordings. You can buy the surround repair kits and we have members with experience who can help. The spiders that attach at the voice coils will keep the coil centered. Sounds like one speaker was close to a window and the other was out of direct sunlight. You should buy enough for both speakers for the future when the others start to go. I think you got a very good deal.

bobsticks
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Congrats. If you think about it alot of us start these massive projects and three years later we're just finishing up. You're a set of surrounds away from having a nice little system on the cheap---and there ain't nothing wrong that. Good luck on fixing everything up.

Congrats too on the devilmusic and beatin' up ol' ladies. That's good PR for the forum. :cornut:

Peace

JohnMichael
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
You could always send the check back and create some good Karma for yourself. After all $225 is a steal for all that you received.

Rush2112
04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm not only new to the forums but to Hi-Fi scene as well even though music has been an important part of my life for the better part of 25 years.

I registered simply because I wanted to do a review on something I really liked. Before coming here I thought of myself as a real audio buff, after reading and reading, I realized I'm a stranger in a strange land (is there one lower than casual listener?) seriously though, I really love the site and am learning.

You could always send the check back and create some good Karma for yourself. After all $225 is a steal for all that you received.

My neighbor and I were just talking about this. His yard was hammered this winter by voles (nasty little mice like creatures) he said God was punishing him. My take was that I must have created some bad Karma for myself.... J.M.... now you too, lol, thanks amigo, but, you are probably right. Not sure how this will pan out, blackraven was kind enough to turn me on to a speaker repair shop not too far from my location so I'm going to contact them and see what they say, I also have a pair of Mission 762's that need foam. I've thought about trying it myself... we'll see.

g'nite and thanks

oaqm
04-06-2008, 08:14 PM
"your first mistake was to go after a pair of 901's"

Your first mistake was to even briefly consider a pair of 901s. Your second mistake was to go after them.

pixelthis
04-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Your first mistake was to even briefly consider a pair of 901s. Your second mistake was to go after them.
amen, so bad they need their own eq:1:

GMichael
04-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Welcome to the new guys. Glad to see that you are finding the help you need.
2112, let us know how the repairs go. I like your handle. Great Album. Hope that wasn't the "devil music" you were referring to.

Rush2112
04-07-2008, 03:12 PM
The "devil music" reference was only a jest (my take on how she probably viewed me and what I had done with her husbands 901's)

G.M... agreed..... The Red Star of the Solar Federation is not a pentagram, sheesh.... I wish I had a nickle for every time I've had that conversation. One of the best trilogy's ever recorded 2112, A Fairwell to Kings and Hemispheres.

I'm not sure what "devil music" really is but I'm pretty sure Rush, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow (well..... nah!) don't qualify.

As for the 901 flame warriors, rock on my brothers, I have my nomex on :3: I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't chimed in.

Truth be told, I'd never listened to a pair until I bought these, it's just something when I was a kid (along the lines of that 70's show) I always wanted. Based on hype? Sure.

Even if they are completely wrong for the type of music I listen to, I'm living the dream baby! Now where's that Hot Rats CD?