AM Radio reception through rear channel! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AM Radio reception through rear channel!

Hairsonfire
04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Anyone have any ideas how I can prevent my rear channel from picking up an AM radio signal? It is driving me nuts! I magine trying to watch a film like "No Country for Old Men" and having to listen to some old geezer reciting golf scores in the backgroud . . . I tried reorienting the speaker cables with little success; but it might be being picked up in the rear channel amp. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Anyone have any ideas how I can prevent my rear channel from picking up an AM radio signal? It is driving me nuts! I magine trying to watch a film like "No Country for Old Men" and having to listen to some old geezer reciting golf scores in the backgroud . . . I tried reorienting the speaker cables with little success; but it might be being picked up in the rear channel amp. Any suggestions appreciated.

You might have to try relocating your equipment, or check the shielding on your cables to make sure there is no path for RF to enter. Does this happen with every source you try?

Hairsonfire
04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, Bro. I get that AM signal just by flipping on the power switch for the two channel amp for my rear speakers. It would be difficult to relocate all of the components, not impossible, but a pain in the rear - oh hey, that's funny cause the problem is my rear channel and I meant "butt" - sort of a play on words . . . Oh, never mind. It is odd, but it seems to dissipate after 20 or so minutes. Thankfully, it is intermittent, but still agravating. Hope you are well! Thanks again.

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
OK, sounds like your only getting the noise when the amp is warming up. Have you taken the cover off to see if there's anything obvious, such as the power supply shielding or loose solder joints at the speaker terminals?

pixelthis
04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Do you live near an AM station? Does your receiver/prepro have an AM tuner?
If theres an AM tuner in your rig it could be crosstalk.
Or shoddy speaker cables.
Its probably the wires going to your rears, AM waves are rather long and AM antennas
need to be as long to pick them up, sometimes the windings on a power transformer will,
under extreme circumstance, act like a AM amtenna.
Check out a company called c crane , they specialize in AM radio and long distance AM
radio reception ( DXING)
And they might have something to do the opposite.
Anyway try moving things around, you "tune" an AM radio by moving it, a AM radio
antenna is diectional, so relocating the wires or some componets might help:1:

PhilbertD
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Hope you've found the cause already, but, if not, some things you might not have tried.
1. You mention you have a separate amp for the rears. Try disconnecting its input(s) and grounding them before turning it on. If rf interference is still there when you turn it on, it is the actual pickup source, if no interference, then it is coming from whatever component(s) feed your rear channel amp.
2. Its actually not likely that the rear cabling is the culprit or you'd be able to pick up AM without the amp being on. But, if the cabling to your rears is shielded, verify that only the amp end of the cable is grounded and/or no other shield grounding exists at the speaker end.
3. Does the rear amp have a three-prong power plug? If so, try and have all three-prong equipment in you system plugged into a common outlet (through a strip, for instance). If it has a two-prong plug, try plugging it into your main receiver/amplifier auxiliary power outlets (if avail) or run a separate ground between the rear amp and your main receiver/amplifier.

Let us know what you find...