Advice Needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

Birdman84
04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I have worked In Pro Audio for over 35 years from touring to building and running a studio. I am now on Disability which limits my spending on a upgrade for my surround system which includes 3 L8e ADS speakers 1 Servo 1200 Velodyne Subwoofer. these are close to 20 years old and while still in good condition I want to move on. I Found 2 B&W DM 601-S3 Sorrento color speakers and 1 B&W ASW 600 Subwoofer all in cherry condition. They are asking 575 for the set and I think I can get them for 500 is that a good deal. From what I have read they are considered good speakers but since I have not been in the market for a while would like to know what you all think. Also have a B&W front speaker LCR 3 which is fairly new. All I would need are the rear surrounds.
Thank you for any comments

PDN
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Birdman84:

Take it from me. $575.00 for a pair of DM601 S3's and an ASW600 powered subwoofer in good condition is excellent. I happen to have these exact units in sorrento and love them. New the 601 S3's were $450.00/pr and the ASW600 was approx $600.00 if I'm not mistaken. I bought them new. The ASW600 is a perfect match for the 601's as they are in the same series. I've since upgraded to the DM603 S3's replacing the 601's for my surround sound system (keeeping the ASW600) and have connected the 601's to an NAD receiver in another smaller room. They sound fantastic in that room also.

What is the size of your listening room? The 601's are intended for smaller to medium size rooms say up to 2500 FT3 (just my opinion). Also thicker carpeting will help these speakers sound even better in their bottom end. What do you have for an A-V receiver or separates? Just coincidentally, I'm selling a Marantz A-V receiver at audiogon.com this site for what I feel is a fantastic price (SR5600). Check it out in the classifieds. It's the only SR5600 for sale I believe. I listed it on 3/27. Many thanks.

Birdman84
04-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Thank you. I have an Onkyo DS 777 THX surround receiver with 125 RMS per channel which is in good condition. I will look to upgrade this in a few years. Edit I forgot the size of the room.
It is 13 by 20. The ADS speakers fill the room with no problems they are just old and the Sub has been making a distorted sound on warming up the first of the day but works fine after a little bit. Time to replace it before it goes. It had been a very good sub for almost 20 years.

PDN
04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Birdman84

The 601's with the ASW600 sub should sound fine in your size room. Also, I checked the amp section in the specs of your Onkyo TX-DS777 at the Onkyo website. Just so you know, this unit is rated at 105 watts per channel min RMS at 8 ohms TWO channels driven from 20hz to 20khz and 135 watts/ch min RMS into 6 ohms two channels driven. I've become somewhat perturbed at how some A-V receiver manufacturers mislead the public by not stating "All Channels Driven". Before mulit-channel receivers hit the market, it was easy for the manufacturers to fit two power amps inside receiver enclosures. Then when they had to fit 5 and 7 amps into similar size enclosures, it became more difficult to offer high power output into all channels. I've called Marantz directly and they told me that although their a-v receivers may state for example 90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms, the 90 watts is guaranteed only when two channels are driven. They can only guarantee 70% of the 90 watt rating when in surround sound mode. It's misleading for sure. Always look for "all channels driven". NAD and Rotel use this more honest approach.

PDN
04-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Further to what I stated above, even with the 70% derating, Marantz A-V receivers souund fantastic and have high current and discrete amplifiers which is important. I just wish there was a standard all of the manufacturers would be required to follow when it comes to stating power ratings in a-v receivers. If they stated 90 x 7, then is that all channels driven or just two? If it's a 5 or 7 channel receiver, why specify a value for 2 channels driven when its intent is to be a surround sound unit driving 5 or 7? That's my gripe.

Birdman84
04-06-2008, 04:18 AM
I agree with you. ONKYO has enjoyed good rating from most reviewers. I still remember the days when they would put any rating they wanted on them. They could claim 1000 watts per channel not telling you that it was 1000 watts at 10 percent distortion. I wish I could afford 5-7 Bryston professional amps like I had in the studio but they are way out of my budget. The best thing for those who have learned to hear right is to get the amp or speakers home and spend a few days listening to them you will find out real fast weather you like them or not. I did send an offer to the people with the speakers late last night and we will see what they say. I normally would not buy used speakers but for the price and from what I have been reading about these speakers they should be alright. I do like my B&W RCL 3 front speaker. I will know later today if not I will keep looking. I will upgrade my AV amp in a few years when the new standards shakeout and the AV input and out put are all compatible with the newer Flat screen TV,