Your Music Collection... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your Music Collection...

Luvin Da Blues
04-05-2008, 07:41 AM
In the same vein as other threads lately, I was wondering how much of their music collection everyone here actually listens to, whether it's CDs, LPs or from the computer.

A lot of my CDs are hard to medium rock from the 70s and 80s that doesn't get any play time anymore (must be gettin' old) so as far as CDs I probably listen to about 20%. I have ripped all of them to my computer so I have play listed a lot of "singles" but not the entire CD.

Of the +/- 500 LPs I own I would say that I have 'bout 80 that actually gets played on a regular basis. This is due to the LPs condition or SQ of the recording.

So, how much of your collection is just gathering dust?

jrhymeammo
04-05-2008, 08:35 AM
I got maybe 50LPs that I havent even cleaned.. Earl Klugh being one.

I used to have all the albums that I need to play or get to later, sticking out coupple of inches as reminder, but I just dont trust my dog with cardboard with decades of scent...

I think on average I play 5-10 times per album then move on.

JRA

Slosh
04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
My music collection (3000 albums or so I think . . . . too many to count in any case) used to have large portions neglected until I started streaming lossless audio to my stereos about 2 1/2 years ago. Now thanks to the shuffle gods I hear stuff I haven't listened to in ages and often get into some of that long-forgotten music all over again. It's a beautiful thing :)

Of course my vinyl listening has diminished considerably (and CD/SACD/DVD-A for that matter) :(

NP:

Mr Peabody
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I probably listen to 80/20 or 90/10 cd to vinyl but it's due to time more than any other reason. I have stacks of vinyl I acquired and still need to go through to see if it gets added to the collection or put back out to market. When you have a large collection it's hard not to have titles that collect dust, some only a track or two you like and you wonder if it's worth pulling and cleaning for those couple. I'm terrible, I have this collection yet sometimes I can't make up my mind what I want to listen to. I keep buying more. I need help.

thekid
04-06-2008, 03:15 AM
At this point it is probably a 60/40 vinyl/cd split. Vinyl getting the slight nod because I am going out and buying new lp's on a fairly regular basis and I only buy a new CD about every other month. The vinyl I have is all basically classic rock from 70's and 80's while the CD's I have been listening to of late have been primarily classical or light jazz.

OzzieAudiophile
04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Hello.

I am actually interested myself as to just as the exact number, for now I'll take a guess.

I hope the guess isn't too far off haha.

I would say I have about 800 CDs, about 50 LPs. Don't ask me how many songs total,
that's just not gonna happen lol.

I have a large DVD collection as well. I have no idea how many I have. I have quite a lot of
music DVDs, and several DVD-Audios. I have 6 SACDs.

What proportion is gathering dust ? I'd say about 85%, in the sense of listening to each
CD once a week. In terms of at least once a year ? I'd say nothing. No dust mites get to
celebrate a birthday cake haha.

When I get the exact number, I'll let you know :) I hope it's over 1000.

kexodusc
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm probably 90% CD, 10% Vinyl.
Since I made a half decent computer-based system, I've been listening to a lot of digital music. Though I have only purchased 1 album digitally ever. I prefer a tangible copy.

I would guesstimate that 80% of my collection is gathering dust. I try to keep my collection below 500 albums. I'm way past that now, maybe double - even though I know a good chunk of it will never see the light of day again. Guess I'm a musical pack rat. I'm not even including the 50+ music/concert DVD's I have that I rarely watch.

Having a collection doesn't really make a lot of sense. And yet it's so hard to trim the fat...

Mr MidFi
04-07-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm like Slosh. Most of my listening these days is courtesy of the Shuffle Gods, and they have quirky tastes. I used to have about 50 discs in steady rotation, out of around 600 discs total. Nowadays, I have tracks from about 400-500 albums churning up continuously.

NP: Some mournful track by Enya; perfect for a Monday morning.

ForeverAutumn
04-07-2008, 06:59 AM
I've been buying so much new stuff that lately my rotation is anywhere from 8 - 12 disks that I'm spinning regularly getting to know them. Once I'm comfortable with the disk, it gets loaded on my iPod and then the hard copy is shelved (or it might end up in my car). After that, it's usually up to the shuffle gods...unless I'm in the mood for something specific, then I'll play the disk either from the iPod (if I'm at work) or the CD (if I'm home).

Since I bought an iPod, my CDs are collecting a lot more dust.

Brett A
04-07-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been buying so much new stuff that lately my rotation is anywhere from 8 - 12 disks that I'm spinning regularly getting to know them.

This is true for me as well.

Not counting the spindle fulls of CDRs, I have about 1200 retail CDs in jewel cases. My vinyl collection is about 500 and growing quickly as I am getting back into it. So the collection is about 60/40 CD/vinyl. my listening lately has been at least 90% vinyl.

I say with some sense of pride that I do not have a singe MP3 file .:yesnod:

So far, I don't own an ipod and my computer has nothing to do with my music hobby except to cruise these forums and buy CDs and vinyl.

Mr Peabody
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I got into mp3 due to commuting on public transportation. Have a lossless server would be cool especially for favorites off vinyl when I'm not in the mood to go through the ritual of playing a LP.

jonnyhambone
04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I mostly play vinyl upstairs...maybe 300+ albums. Almost all CD's, and some tapes, in the basement which serves as my art studio...I'm down there 10-30 hrs./week. All told it's probably 70/30%, vinyl/cd listening with a miniscule amount of computer downloads in the mix...no mp3's but I burn some cd's on my iMac...

not complete but close....
http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/jonnyhambone/

thereyet
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have gone through more collections then I care to remember. Mostly lost due to theft, but also decay. I keep having to dig back in my memory to replace those items i really want back.

I now am an IPOD fanatic and If I remember it (the music) I go get it. I still shop for CDs of new music, I want to support the new artists but if I have bought something two or three times before I figure I don't owe them anymore.

My music life has been very nomadic and I try not to get too attached to anything because of bad experiences in the past. Love um and leave um, is the story of my musical life.

Someone out there is very lucky to have what I have lost.

Currently have 10-15 CDs in rotation. On the IPOD I make playlists of a single band with portions of several CDs on them so I get to listen to a career instead of a slice of a career.

thereyet